Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleephead Tries to write to My SD card
Sleephead Tries to write to My SD card
When I try to import my data for the first time, I start SH then select import. I get the importing screen but I also get an error message from Sleepyhead that says disk cannot be writted to because it is write protected. The import also freezes at 85%

Running v1.0.0-beta-2.
If I let the import run long enough it appears to finish but I am a bit leery of the cannot write message

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleephead Tries to write to My SD card
As far as I know, Sleepyhead does not write to the SD card. Is it possible the error is being issued by your operating system? Windows and even Mac will try to write an index file on any drive or folder. Normally write-protection stops that from happening and no error occurs. What operating system do you use?
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm betting that you're computer is running Windows 8.1 or 10. By OS default it's trying to write System Volume information to the removable drive. Your Resmed A10 doesn't care if it does this. It was the Resmed S9 that has a problem with extra files on the SD card.

You can address this 2 different ways.
  1. . Don't Write Protect the SD card and let Windows write the files or,
  2. . Go into your system settings and disable the writing of the information.
To save a little time, I've included how to do this:
Plan A: Using the Group Policy Editor
  1. . Press Windows Key + R combination, type: "regedit" in Run dialog box and hit Enter to open the registry Editor.
  2. . Navigate to: Computer Configuration->Administrative Templates->Windows Components->Search
  3. . In the right pane, look for the setting named "Do not allow locations on removable drives to be added to libraries" and double click on it.
  4. . A new widow will appear. Click on "Enabled" and then click "Apply" followed by OK.
  5. . Close the Local Group Policy Editor and restart the machine, plug in the USB and plug out. You’ll be no longer facing the trouble.
Plan B: Using REGEDIT to modify the DisableRemovableDriveIndexing key

If your edition of Windows does not have the Group Policy Editor, do the following:
  1. . Press Windows Key + R combination, type: "regedit" in Run dialog box and hit Enter to open the registry Editor.
  2. . Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows
  3. . In the left pane of this location, right click over Windows key and select New -> Key. Name the newly created sub-key as Windows Search. Now select the same sub-key and come to its right pane as shown in image above. Right click in the blank space, select New ->DWORD Value.
  4. . Name the newly created DWORD as: DisableRemovableDriveIndexing.
  5. . Double click on the new DWORD name to obtain a value setting window.
  6. . Enter the value data of: 1 (one). The base setting doesn't matter. Press "OK".
  7. . Exit the Registry Editor and reboot you computer.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Running Win10. The error box that pops up says the error is coming from sleepyhead.exe. I have re-signed downloaded again and done a full re-install.. Takes a long time to read the SD card but it eventually finishes is I just ignore the error.
Post Reply Post Reply
SH doesn't write anything to your SD card unless you have changed the default location of SH's data file to point to your SD card.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
two thoughts ...

1. is it possible that you have inadvertently configured sleepyhead to try and store its data on the SD card rather than the local HD?

2. is it possible that the HD (or whatever media you are storing the SH data after it is imported) is full and therefore SH can't write to it?

Saldus Miegas
Post Reply Post Reply
I had the same, and apart from one or two times the error kept coming and I got stuck in that loop …

Here my simple workaround.
- Insert card and copy content to a temp directory.
- Then start SleepyHead and point the import to that directory.
- Never failed

Cheers
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  OSCAR v1.5.2- error code 5, unable to write to data directory sleepynotion 2 106 03-18-2024, 12:09 PM
Last Post: sleepynotion
  Oscar cannot read SD card and SD card cannot be read by PC BlueSky1958 1 643 08-21-2023, 06:41 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oscar cannot read card - card cannot be read by PC BlueSky1958 3 552 08-21-2023, 01:02 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  S9; Invalid SD Card after importing (SD write protected) GreenScrew 8 1,038 03-20-2023, 07:09 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Is it necessary to turn on the write protect switch on the sd card before importing? Determinism 1 625 06-29-2022, 12:20 AM
Last Post: GuyScharf
  Difference in reporting useage in Oscar from Sleephead biyahero 32 3,422 07-24-2019, 03:04 PM
Last Post: biyahero
  Write Protect SD Card??? Snorzz 13 3,117 01-29-2018, 12:17 PM
Last Post: sonicboom

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.