Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleephead readings on 5-20cmh therapy
Sleephead readings on 5-20cmh therapy
Hello all. So I've been on CPAP now for just over a month and am about to have my first followup with my doctor tomorrow. I'm still trying to figure out how to read sleephead data. Right now i'm on 5-20 therapy level using Dreamwear Nasal Mask (non-pillow). According to ResMed app, I am averaging 4-5 times mask coming off. And getting good amount of leakage. I've attached my most recent sleephead data along with what ResMed app caught. I would appreciate any kind of interpretation so that I know what to expect from my doctor tomorrow. THank you to all who can help with this!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleephead readings on 5-20cmh therapy
hello figgy15.

your ahi is (barely) below the treatment threshold of under 5, which is good. the question now is how do you feel? if good, congratulations. if not, be prepared to be a strong self-advocate.

you have a high proportion of central apnea (or more precisely, clear airway) events. these may be treatment emergent, in which case the centrals often subside in time. treatment emergent centrals with obstructive apnea is callled complex apnea. natively having both obstructive and central apnea is called mixed apnea.

has your daily ahi been consistent or jump around a lot? did you have any central apnea during your sleep study or references in the report to complex or mixed apnea?

there have been a fair number of us here that have mixed apnea ahi's around 5 on apap but still feel pretty bad. our insurance based system often will not pay for a therapy modality that can address this problem because of their rules about ahi 5> and central's having to be more than 50% of your apnea and a couple others. that's why you have may have to be a squeaky wheel.

either way, make sure your doc acknowledges the central apnea and explains to you how they expect to address them. you might be asked to keep trying the apap to be sure the centrals won't resolve with time. or if you had centrals during your sleep study and/or you have a knowledgable and cooperative sleep doc, they may suggest another sleep study to trial and titrate a couple different machine types (modalities).

again, at this point it boils down to how you feel.
Post Reply Post Reply
You might want to increase your minimum to 7cm and decrease your EPR to 2cm.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-23-2018, 06:32 PM)I have to say that I have noticed a difference during the day since starting my cpap treatment.  4 hrs of CPAP sleeping (which I\ve done) does feel better then my old 8hrs without it.  I Wrote: hello figgy15.  

your ahi is (barely) below the treatment threshold of under 5, which is good. the question now is how do you feel?  if good, congratulations.  if not, be prepared  to be a strong self-advocate.

you have a high proportion of central apnea (or more precisely, clear airway) events.  these may be treatment emergent, in which case the centrals often subside in time.  treatment emergent centrals with obstructive apnea is callled complex apnea.  natively having both obstructive and central apnea is called mixed apnea.  

has your daily ahi been consistent or jump around a lot?  did you have any central apnea during your sleep study or references in the report to complex or mixed apnea?  

there have been a fair number of us here that have mixed apnea ahi's around 5 on apap but still feel pretty bad.  our insurance based system often will not pay for a therapy modality that can address this problem because of their rules about ahi 5> and central's having to be more than 50% of your apnea and a couple others.  that's why you have may have to be a squeaky wheel.

either way, make sure your doc acknowledges the central apnea and explains to you how they expect to address them.  you might be asked to keep trying the apap to be sure the centrals won't resolve with time.  or if you had centrals during your sleep study and/or you have a knowledgable and cooperative sleep doc, they may suggest another sleep study to trial and titrate a couple different machine types (modalities).

again, at this point it boils down to how you feel.
Post Reply Post Reply
Your settings are fairly wide-open, but your needs are consistently from 7.0 to 11.0. Keep in mind you are using EPR setting of 3, so when your pressure is less than 7, the exhale pressure is stuck at 4.0. Walla Walla suggested increasing minimum pressure to 7.0, and I agree. Your maximum pressure could be set at 11.4 and I think this range pretty well satisfies your needs. Your most recent results include a CAI (clear airway apnea index) of 2.4. If you continue to see the CA events, then reducing the EPR to 2 will help.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Sleeprider and thank you Walla Walla.  I will try those settings tonight.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,075 Yesterday, 04:31 PM
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 171 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 254 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,268 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,361 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 967 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Jakespeare65 - Therapy Help jakespeare65 26 816 03-22-2024, 12:55 PM
Last Post: jakespeare65

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.