Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleeping 10-12 Hours a Day Even with CPAP [SH Included]
Sleeping 10-12 Hours a Day Even with CPAP [SH Included]
Hello,

I have been diagnosed with severe sleep apnea (~90AHI, 80~90% blood oxygen levels) in August, and have been using CPAP religiously ever since October. The problem is that I sleep 10-12 hours a day, which makes it impossible for me to deal with my life’s demands as a college student. 

My sleep pattern goes like this: I set an alarm for 7-8 hours. I sleep 7-8 hours a night with my CPAP machine, I painfully wake up to the alarm, then I subconsciously turn off the alarm and go right back to sleep without the CPAP machine for the next 3-5 hours, adding up to 12 hours. During my CPAP sleep session, I don’t recall waking up at all until the alarm; I consider myself a heavy sleeper. During the day, I have low energy levels and I feel like I can sleep at any moment, especially during meditation.

Just to give you more information on myself, I am a 22-year old male college student residing in California. I do not do drugs and I rarely drink alcohol (once in 2-3 months). I do not take any form of meds. I try to have the most optimal sleep hygiene as possible, so that is most likely not the problem. I am healthy other than this problem. However, I sometimes find myself mouth-breathing/not breathing and holding my breath during the day. I also find that I’m drooling during my sleep when I sleep on my side.

I am currently using AirSense 10 AutoSet, with a nasal pillow. My pressure is currently set from 6-12. EPR is on full time at the level of 3. Humidifier is on at level 4.
a ay Even with CPAP [SH Included
I know that it says I slept at 3am, but it's just wrong time settings! I'll make sure to fix it from now on.

I would appreciate it if you could provide any information on what my problem could be.

Here is my SleepyHead data:

[attachment=4341][attachment=4342][attachment=4343]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleeping 10-12 Hours a Day Even with CPAP [SH Included]
I'd turn the EPR down to 2 and try and get rid of the CA events. Have you talked to a Doctor about needing so much sleep? Your number aren't bad so you might want to start looking for other causes.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Walla. Reduce EPR and the events will be reduced as well as sleep quality. Your pressure levels are too low for an EPR of 3.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you. I've lowered the EPR from 3 to 2, hope I experience improvements. Do you have any other suggestions? How's my data?
Post Reply Post Reply
Archer, reducing EPR is gong to help all by itself. We may take you down to 1 eventually. Other than that, please minimize the monthly calendar on screenshots by clicking on the triangle in the date line, and you can even turn off the pie chart in File/Preferences/Appearance. We don't need it, and it will make more valuable information visible.

Reducing EPR will also result in lower maximum pressure, will reduce OA and should greatly reduce CA. I think if you could be persuaded to reduce EPR to 1, you might be amazed at the difference. If you go to EPR 1, you can probably limit maximum pressure to 10.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
No expert here, others can give cpap advice better than me. I can give you alarm clock advice though. When I had untreated apnea I had one of those obnoxious loud eeee-eeee-eeee alarm clocks. I set it up across the room so that I would have to get up and walk there to turn it off. I was up, so I had to make a conscious decision to either get on with my day (work) or go back to bed. Of course I would sometimes fall asleep standing in the shower!

And that AHI number is pretty good. Of course it depends on how you feel, but that's a clinically "treated" number.

I hope you find your answers.
Post Reply Post Reply
You have the best helping you here.

I have a question.  This is 7 hours of your stated 10-12 hours, what happened to the other 3-5 hours?

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Walla Walla's thought that your Doctor may have some thoughts on some other medical issue with the body requiring that much sleep. Also, it may be that the sleep therapy with a CPAP is somewhat diminished by the sleep without the CPAP. I have been in that situation while first learning to use my ASV. Hope you get the issue resolved; sleep is worth fighting for. And welcome to Apnea Board.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-08-2018, 11:31 PM)bonjour Wrote: You have the best helping you here.

I have a question.  This is 7 hours of your stated 10-12 hours, what happened to the other 3-5 hours?

Fred

Hi Fred, thanks for your response. other 3-5 hours I sleep without CPAP unconsciously.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi archerhahn,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy.
I would move the alarm clock where you have to walk to it, this way, it will force you to get up.
Hopefully, you will find the answer to your sleep problem.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] Only sleeping 3 hours a night with CPAP, almost fell asleep at wheel biboombap 9 102 5 hours ago
Last Post: staceyburke
  Airsense 10 run hours??? eok361 5 137 Yesterday, 08:13 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 174 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 642 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 1,097 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 999 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 290 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.