Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleeping Aids
Surprised 
Sleeping Aids
Hello lovely people. I wanted to ask if any of you take sleeping pills or aids to help you sleep better. My AHI's are always brilliant - between 0.3 and 1.5 - for years now but my goodness......I wake up almost as much as when I never had my beloved cpap machine. I am a bit worried about taking a sleeping pill, but someone said - you've got your machine, you will be fine but I just worry that suppose I'm not fine. All I want is just 1 uninterrupted sleep. I feel fine during the day, I don't need to nap, it's just when I first wake up and night time that I'm sooooooo tired.

Any advice or suggestions?

Thank you in advance  Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleeping Aids
I take OTC sleep aids that I buy @ Costco. Have been for quite a while now. Each night, I pop a couple. Without them, I just lay there in bed.  Sad

My wife also takes OTC sleep aids, but the ones she takes, varies. She has a harder time finding ones that work well for her.
Post Reply Post Reply
I came off amitriptyline recently and found difficulty falling asleep so I have been taking Galpharm Sleep Aid. It's an antihistamine that makes you drowsy. After about a month they seem to have stopped working. My hubbie took one and he was woolly headed all the next day so be careful.

I am thinking about taking melatonin 3-4mg as it is supposed to help you get to sleep. I have been eating pistachios and goji berries as they contain melatonin but I think I would need a lot of them to get any benefit. I seem to have the constitution of an ox ??
Post Reply Post Reply
Most of the OTC sleep aids in the US are various first generation antihistamines (diphenhydramine, doxylamine), or various formulations of melatonin, or mixtures of herbal remedies like valerian root. I understand that melatonin is a prescription only medication in some countries.

Originally I tried diphenhydramine, but after several years of that it stopped working. Currently I use combinations of long and short acting melatonin.
Geoffrey Rush as Philip Henslowe, (Shakespeare in Love) "I don't know. It's a mystery."
Post Reply Post Reply
You should Google cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia. It helped me.
Post Reply Post Reply
I’ll second that, I’m currently working with a sleep psychologist trained in cognitive behavioral therapy for insomnia.

Medication may not be necessary.
Geoffrey Rush as Philip Henslowe, (Shakespeare in Love) "I don't know. It's a mystery."
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all of your suggestions. I'll talk to my chemist - even his assistant as she's a naturopath. Cheers
Post Reply Post Reply
Funny that Amitriptyline was mentioned by someone. That's what I've got now to combat the insomnia.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2021, 08:20 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Funny that Amitriptyline was mentioned by someone. That's what I've got now to combat the insomnia.

Isn't that also an antidepressant? I'm already on antidepressants so not sure I want another one
Post Reply Post Reply
I think that's the main reason to get this as a scripted item but my doc scripted to take advantage of the side effect of creating tiredness.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Product Suggestions To Help Prevent Back Sleeping mawaw1992 6 161 04-07-2024, 09:19 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 19 615 04-02-2024, 10:30 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 1,074 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 991 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 281 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 314 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  sleep aids Bluesv6 13 1,084 03-11-2024, 09:08 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.