Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Would you/Have you, ever gone a night without your Mask On?
This poll is closed.
Yes I have
40.85%
29 40.85%
No I have Not
33.80%
24 33.80%
To Dangerous
4.23%
3 4.23%
Would Consider
5.63%
4 5.63%
If I was Feeling Brave (Drunk)
1.41%
1 1.41%
I would never do something so STUPID!
9.86%
7 9.86%
Dont Know
0%
0 0%
Dont Care
4.23%
3 4.23%
Total 71 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Sleeping Naked
Cool 
Sleeping Naked
I just wondered if you have or have thought of ever sleeping without your mask? This morning after along shift and a good run in the gym I collapsed into bed without the chance of putting my mask on as I was out the minute I hit the pillow waking 7 hours later to find I'd nodded off. Now I know some say this is very dangerous but I dont see it that way, I feel that sometimes even my body and mind needs a break from cpap. I slept incredible well as I usually do without my mask. I usually do this with my oximeter on as I can see that my sleep cycles are fine and that not many apneas occured.

Well thats me what about you, please feel free to vote and make your feelings known on the subject. I look forward to finding out what others think.

Brave or stupid?
RE: Sleeping Naked
For a moment thought it,s a poll about what one wear or not to wear under the sheets
Not intentionally but do at times nod off if sitting in bed as do few other things in bed beside the obvious two
At times eat, drink, play, read, watch TV, and do apnea board stuff in bed
Not good sleep hygiene but bedroom is the favorite place to relax and unwind after busy day
Rats! The poll is not about what I thought it was about! Dielaughing

I expected to see some very interesting comments. Rolleyes
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
(03-30-2012, 05:02 PM)bobg1946 Wrote: Rats! The poll is not about what I thought it was about! Dielaughing

I expected to see some very interesting comments. Rolleyes

be afraid, be very afraid. there are things that you see, even in writing, that you can never un-see.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
I've already lost far too many brain cells. At this point, to even think about sleeping without the mask makes me sick. I have suffered for a thousand years. I'm done with that.
(03-30-2012, 11:46 AM)Gazby Wrote: I just wondered if you have or have thought of ever sleeping without your mask? This morning after along shift and a good run in the gym I collapsed into bed without the chance of putting my mask on as I was out the minute I hit the pillow waking 7 hours later to find I'd nodded off. Now I know some say this is very dangerous but I dont see it that way, I feel that sometimes even my body and mind needs a break from cpap. I slept incredible well as I usually do without my mask. I usually do this with my oximeter on as I can see that my sleep cycles are fine and that not many apneas occured.

Well thats me what about you, please feel free to vote and make your feelings known on the subject. I look forward to finding out what others think.

Brave or stupid?

I think this depends entirely on how severe ones OSA is. If it is severe, then I think it is stupid. Furthermore, the risk increases with aging, so unless your aging reversal protocols are really working well, your risk will be increasing every day.

I believe OSA accelerates aging of the brain, and I am opposed to this.

My age is none of my mind's business. --- Netskier
Okay, I voted in this one, but I'm waiting for someone to make the other poll too, lol.

I sometimes sleep for some time in my chair before bed, but when I go to bed I always put on the mask. Always.

That said, my moms sleep doc told her that the damage from S.A. is cumulative and that if she wants to go for a few nights without her CPAP (on a trip for example) that it was no big deal and to feel free, that no real damage would occur from a short time.

Just sayin'
(03-30-2012, 06:24 PM)mckevin32 Wrote: Okay, I voted in this one, but I'm waiting for someone to make the other poll too, lol.

I sometimes sleep for some time in my chair before bed, but when I go to bed I always put on the mask. Always.

That said, my moms sleep doc told her that the damage from S.A. is cumulative and that if she wants to go for a few nights without her CPAP (on a trip for example) that it was no big deal and to feel free, that no real damage would occur from a short time.
Just sayin'

I think that advice from your Mom's doctor is incompetent, and arguably criminally irresponsible.

How many strokes or microstrokes could your Mom take without harm? Does her Doctor offer a "money-back guarantee"? I still would not take it. Stoke events are probablistic, with unknown probabilities for your Mom.

To evaluate a gamble, compute the expected value of the gamble, which is the sum of all of the expected values of the gamble, with each being the product of the value of each outcome times the probability of that outcome.

Suppose the probability of your Mom dying from a stroke from OSA in one night is one in a millon, and the value to you of losing your mom is minus 100 million dollars. Then the expected value of losing your mom from OSA from not using her PAP for one night is minus $100 (from one in million times 100 million). So this bet should not be taken. Add to that the event of her having a stroke, and losing the ability to speak. Suppose the probability of this is one in 100,000 and the value to you is minus ten million dollars. So the product is again minus 100 dollars. So now the expected value of your mom sleeping without a PAP is minus 200 dollars (100 for dying, 100 for losing speech). Keep doing this with all the possible other events, e.g., heart attack, hypertension, car accident, etc. to estimate the total expected value of this gamble.

I just made up some numbers for easy arithmetic. Your numbers will be different.

My Mom was priceless, and she died from a series of strokes. I knew nothing of OSA at that time.

My age is none of my mind's business. --- Netskier
(03-30-2012, 05:06 PM)Jenny Wrote: I've already lost far too many brain cells. At this point, to even think about sleeping without the mask makes me sick. I have suffered for a thousand years. I'm done with that.

I thought about it. Once. We had a big windstorm, power was down all over. I have a generator, but didn't bother to the bedroom - other side of the house, and upstairs. I tried for 2 hours to get to sleep, and all those snores/gasps/kicks/apneas that I never once noticed in the years I put off getting checked for SA, kept waking me up. So I gave up. grabbed my machine, and slept on the couch where I had power.

There is so many opinions and degrees of OMG! This will probably shock you then cos I have gone weeks without wearing mine as it seems I dont take it half as serious as some do, which will probably be my downfall.

It says that OSA increases your chances of having a stroke or heart attack, it doesnt say that OSA will give you either one or any just that your risk is increased. Now my understanding is your body has been starved for years of lack of sleep but with using your pap your body has recovered so the odd night should not make a difference. You wouldnt tell some teenager that if they stay out all night partying that they now have an increase of a chance of stroke or other due to lack of sleep for one night. And before you all start shouting at me, this is my opinion and not probably fact, I guess Im a extremist then a PAP Rebel so to speak.

...and incase Mr S is having palputations around now this is not the kind of advice I would give anyone, let me explain.

The reason I sometimes dont wear my mask is because alot of times I dont get to sleep as there isnt enough hours in the day for me. Before you start heckling me, I have a disabled wife and a disabled daughter and I work full time nightshift so when I get home I have breakfasts to do and school runs and then theres hospital appointments not to mention the caring for them, so as you can see everything is not what it seems. Try being up for 24 hours then climbing unto your bed putting on your mask and snuggling in then getting shouted because Im needed then off I go again for another 12 hours or so with many catnaps inbetween.

Im just a caring kind of chap that....Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Bed

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 8 884 5 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 155 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 206 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 18 651 03-06-2024, 02:02 PM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 445 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Not been sleeping well, just installed SD card and oscar, please help SleepyGrumpy 2 226 02-04-2024, 07:36 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Periodic breathing while semi-sleeping jaredihnen 7 568 11-22-2023, 05:03 PM
Last Post: jaredihnen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.