Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Poll: Would you/Have you, ever gone a night without your Mask On?
This poll is closed.
Yes I have
40.85%
29 40.85%
No I have Not
33.80%
24 33.80%
To Dangerous
4.23%
3 4.23%
Would Consider
5.63%
4 5.63%
If I was Feeling Brave (Drunk)
1.41%
1 1.41%
I would never do something so STUPID!
9.86%
7 9.86%
Dont Know
0%
0 0%
Dont Care
4.23%
3 4.23%
Total 71 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Sleeping Naked
RE: Sleeping Naked
I should have looked closer at the words... I go many a night without wearing the mask (I work 12 hour shift work so 7 out of 35 nights I do) I have also nodded off at the computer a few times (at home and at work).. But I don't intentionally go to bed without it (and I am getting a car adapter so on trips I am covered too)
I have occasionally felt that I was too sleepy to bother with getting dressed to go to sleep...but I haven't done it yet.

My brother says he's been sleeping that way for years. Didn't think to ask if his wife did too. Though I've dated a few women that say they do....but none of them would show me.

Probably would be a lot harder, if I was still clipping my hose to my top.
You may be a dreamer, but I'm The Dreamer, the definite article you might say!
I have fallen to sleep without my mask on..My toddler sometimes wont go to bed at night unless someone lays with him, and I have awakened hours later.. and the big on some times my wife wants to TALK !!! when we go to bed at night..after all these years...Dont-know
Someone once asked me how I adjusted to CPAP so well--I thought for a moment and said I had two choices CPAP or DEATH..The choice was easy..
Twice in six years.
Once when I slept in a chair in the hospital while my Mother was passing away and once when my machine died and I couldn't get a loaner until the next day.
I too had high hopes for a more interesting thread, darn sleep apnea!

Having said that, back to your topic:
The survey results are terribly skewed.

Of the general population that has sleep apnea, what percentage has been diagnosed? Of those, who is being treated? (I believe that would be nearly 100%). To further reduce this, who comes to this board?

Finally, only those among us with a strong opinion would bother to vote.

Yes, I've slept naked (in both contexts) and still do at times, but my compliance is improving as I become more acclimatized.

AC
(04-30-2012, 10:31 AM)A C Hunter Wrote: I too had high hopes for a more interesting thread, darn sleep apnea!

Having said that, back to your topic:
The survey results are terribly skewed.

Of the general population that has sleep apnea, what percentage has been diagnosed? Of those, who is being treated? (I believe that would be nearly 100%). To further reduce this, who comes to this board?

Finally, only those among us with a strong opinion would bother to vote.

Yes, I've slept naked (in both contexts) and still do at times, but my compliance is improving as I become more acclimatized.

AC

Yes I like that word "Acclimatized" Some nights Im just too tired to even bother to move and end up falling asleep, the quality of the sleep is amazing, I wake like Ive been in a very deep and refreshing sleep. This only happens very rarely as I wear my mask every night but just on the odd occasion when this happens it really is the wow factor

I suffered for too long and feel way too good now, so I would never think of sleeping without CPAP treatment.
I have not so far even attempted sleep without my mask; 100% compliance, and do not intend to skip any sleep periods without the mask.

My rule is that if the mask goes on BEFORE lying down and comes off after sitting up from bed.

Mostly this rule is to ensure overall compliance as, once started, it is just too easy to make excuses and there was so much angst on these forums from people who were having trouble with compliance.

I even purchased a battery backup (which has so far not been required to run the unit, although I am thinking about killing the power to it to see how long it lasts.)

If the mask is always worn, then there is no issue.

However, I doubt if an occasional night away from CPAP would do much damage nor even raise the risk of some catastrophic disease/death enough to count -- of course, like anything statistical you MIGHT throw snake eyes and stroke out while having a heart attack during the first hour without it -- but you might get hit by a meteor too.

I would NOT get excited if I needed to take a plane ride, or long car trip and didn't have power for the machine. I probably would arrange for power if the trip were planned well ahead of time. Same for a camping trip but that is something that I am not likely to do.

My one trip two nights away from home in a hotel, the machine went with me and compliance remained 100%.

Tomorrow night will be two full months and there will be about 480 hours on the machine (59 days), with an average of a little over 8 hours per night. (Shortest night was arriving late in the hotel and getting up early at 5 hours.)

There is no sufficient reason to sleep without the machine.

There is likely no real direct immediate harm from missing an occasional night (for most people).

We all survived for months or years before CPAP.

For me, I never felt particularly tired, fuzzy headed, had memory loss or headaches, or found myself falling asleep at unwanted times.

I simply ENJOY using my machine now more than not using it, and even if I ignored long term benefits and the after effects the next day (which were minimal for me) then using the machine is my preference.

It feels good to use it.
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."
I have missed a few nights here and there. Usually only when I have been so exhausted that I have fallen asleep even before my head has hit the pillow. On most of these occasions I wake with the morning headache.... A great reminder as to the benefits of CPAP
RAA, were I to discover that sleeping without the mask cause me to wake with a morning headache, then I would DEFINITELY ENFORCE the rule:

Mask before reclining. Feet on floor before mask comes off.

That way, if your head hits the pillow the mask will be where it will do the most good. Smile
Sweet Dreams,

HerbM
Sleep study AHI: 49 RDI: 60 -- APAP 10-11 w/AHI: 1.5 avg for 7-days (up due likely to hip replacement recovery)

"We can all breathe together or we will all suffocate alone."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 820 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 203 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 252 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 458 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Not been sleeping well, just installed SD card and oscar, please help SleepyGrumpy 2 228 02-04-2024, 07:36 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.