Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleeping flat VS Incline
Sleeping flat VS Incline
Hello I was wondering if it would be better for me to sleep on a flat bed or an inclined bed. Currently I have my bed flat but I used to sleep on a heavy incline before I started my APAP. I believe that sleeping on a slight to mild incline is best for apena and my nasal congestion and GERD. My main question has to due with chin drop. I currently sleep with a  soft cervical collar as my natural state seems to be to chin drop, I also find I sleep better because my shoulder tends to raise.

My hypothesis is would the increase in incline do more harm then good because my chin will be raised more even with the collar? If an incline is the way to go then how steep do you think. I absolutely have positional apnea and my overall RDI/AHI averages sub 3 so my apnea is under control. I know that my nasal congestion tends to get bad around now and I think being on an incline will help. I have a full mask so if I have to mouth breath it’s not an major issue.

Thoughts? I think this is an interesting question that as far as I know haven’t been asked. The reason I haven’t tested it yet is because I lost my remote so I have to drive over to my parents 15 min to steal their remote to adjust my bed.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleeping flat VS Incline
If you are fortunate to have an adjustable bed, then use it according to how comfortable you are.  I would rather see a slight incline than using 2 or 3 pillows.  

I sleep at a slight incline, approximately 3 to 4 inches.  Anything steeper than that, and I feel very uncomfortable.  A slight incline should not affect or cause chin tucking.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have to adjust my bed's angle for a bad back and GERD. And yes my bed is electrically adjustable. Due to incredibly bad back, my bed is a scripted hospital style with a controlled air mattress. Even so, a bit of angle might be good for you. If it adds comfort, that's reason 1, GERD would be reason 2.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use an incline bed at ~30 degrees.  I can't breath very well laying flat.  I only use a small roll pilow to lay my head on.  No big fluffy pillows for me!
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I envy people who can sleep on their backs. It would make it much easier if I didn't have the pillow pushing against the side of my mask and affecting the seal...
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm a side sleeper & use a buckwheat pillow because it's easy to bunch up & hang my face & mask over the side. also, while my p10 doesn't have much headgear to deflect the mask when in contact with the pillow, buckwheat conforms better than many other materials to accommodate tubes & headgear.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've heard that buckwheat pillows can solve it for side sleepers.... But also that some day the pillow is hard
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd love to be able to sleep on my back, and to be able to breathe via my nose. I can snooze a little in my recliner while it's in the recline position. 

But, that's only for a short period of time. I can't even fathom sleeping for several hours on my back in a bed that reclines.

I'm a die-hard side sleeper. I have a regular pillow that accommodates my AirFit F30 well.
Post Reply Post Reply
buckwheat might not be my first choice absent cpap but it's the best for me w it. it might feel harder than other materials compared side by side, but we can get used to most anything, particularly if the results are good. I stopped complaining about the pillow after just a couple nights. you may decide differently but nothing ventured nothing gained, they say.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-08-2020, 01:21 PM)Benzi Wrote: I've heard that buckwheat pillows can solve it for side sleepers.... But also that some day the pillow is hard

I also thought it might be too hard, but I found that because I can easily conform it to support my head and neck the way I like it best, the buckwheat pillow does not feel hard at all.  I love mine.
Machine:  ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto
Mask:  Bleep DreamPort Sleep Solution
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 821 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 204 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 252 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 458 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Not been sleeping well, just installed SD card and oscar, please help SleepyGrumpy 2 228 02-04-2024, 07:36 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.