Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleeping for 10 - 12 hours a night
Sleeping for 10 - 12 hours a night
Hi all,

I've been on the CPAP machine for about a month now, and after a rocky start (and some fantastic advice from you folk which helped me an enormous amount) I'm now sleeping through the night without too many problems - I wake up occasionally during the night, and take a little while to get back to sleep, but otherwise I'm doing okay.

The only concern I have is that I'm currently sleeping for between 10 - 12 hours a night (and more often the latter than the former), I've always been someone who needs a lot of sleep, but not this much by any means, and I was hoping that the CPAP machine would mean I need less sleep, not more.

So has anyone else found this? Is it something I should be concerned about? It's certainly frustrating as I'd like to get by on 8 hours a night, I'm losing 4 hours each day which could be so much better spent...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleeping for 10 - 12 hours a night
You might be repaying some sleep debt, but at some point, you'll just have to set the alarm and attend to sleep hygiene if you want to get by with less. If you are an active person and have things to do and places to be, I doubt you'll be able to fit in 12 hours. Maybe it's the time of year. Across the pond in Eastern U.S. it is unimaginably cold this year. I am thinking hibernating for the duration of the Arctic blast.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
you have only been on CPAP for a month... The new reality has not had time to sink in. Smile your body has been sleep starved, and you might be sleeping longer than you need to, but extra sleep may also be helping you heal.

I have found that I *want* to sleep more than I need to for best results, and have had to go back to using an alarm clock (I have been on CPAP for a little over 3 months) I figure it will take at least a year to really get a new rhythm, increasing towards stable all the time.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi alexinlondon,
I too find myself sleeping 9 or 10 hours. Now if I subtract the 1/2 hour it takes me to fall asleep and the 1/2 hour in the morning when I wake up and don't get out of bed, plus if I wake up in middle of night to use bathroom, then It doesn't sound too bad. Cool
But in all seriousness, it does take time for your body to heal from all the time you spent with untreated apnea. Just try to keep to a schedule, like going to bed around same time, etc.
It's been 4 months for me and I know if I set the alarm and I only get 6 or 7 hours sleep, I still feel pretty decent most days.
Hang in there!
OpalRose

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I moved to the "beautiful albeit very wet (except for this winter which has been gorgeous) Oregon coast" I donated every suit and tie I owned to the Smithsonian. I also sold the alarm clock on Ebay.

So I sleep when I lay down and get up when I wake up. Usually that's only 7 or 8 hours, so I would be willing to take one or two of those extra hours off your hands. It's the least I can do........
Post Reply Post Reply
I find I enjoy going to sleep now knowing I'm not going to wake up choking and gasping for air.
I normally only get 6.5-7 hrs.
But I understand, it seems to me if I sleep more than 8-9 hrs if feel like I wasted my day away.
Happy Sleeping!
Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Alex, I went from 10-12 overs to 8-10 over the last year and some change on the CPAP. I know 8-10 is considered excessive by a lot, I guess I just resolved not to feel guilty about it. I lift weights, I program computers, I do plenty of stuff to earn that recovery time.

Basically, if I were you, I'd stop looking at the number and start asking yourself "am I well rested?" and then work backwards from there.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with the others in many respects and will add this perspective.

If you had just had an operation to fix a chronic health condition, you would expect it to take a few months for you to recover to some extent.

If you have been "Lying" in bed for 10 hours a night and only getting the equivalent of 2 hours sleep, neither of which was deep REM sleep (as I also had done for God knows how long before getting onto CPAP) your entire body has a hell of a lot of recovery to do. Of course you will sleep quite a lot each day until you get to the point that you can get 6-8 hours and awake more refreshed than many of your friends Big Grin

So just lie back and think of England.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for all of the replies, it's reassuring to hear, and hopefully things will even out after a while... Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
This happened to me for a few months when I started. I would sleep for 8 or 9 hours with the CPAP, then take it off and sleep a few more hours. This still happens to me sometimes but it does seem to have subsided somewhat.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 804 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 203 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 280 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 247 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Big Gap In Readings - Hours of use too short an4g745 12 462 03-01-2024, 06:50 PM
Last Post: an4g745

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.