Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleeping longer--how do I reduce humidity within my humidifier?
RE: Sleeping longer--how do I reduce humidity within my humidifier?
(01-31-2019, 09:00 PM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Getting back to the original question which hasn't been addressed yet:

DaveL Wrote:Wondering...Can I reduce the rate of humidification on my CPAP?

You can adjust your humidifier in one of two ways.

If you have the heated hose, it's likely that "climate control" will be set to automatic, and the only adjustable parameter will be temperature. To change to manual operation you need to go into the clinical menu (press the Setup button and push-dial simultaneously for three seconds). Navigate your way to climate control and set it to manual. You then have the option of changing the humidifier temperature and flow rate independently. You can also turn the humidifier off.

If you have a standard (non-heated) hose, the climate control defaults to manual operation.

If you don't already have one, get hold of the clinician manual for your machine - see the link at the top of this page.

Thanks so much! I have the clinician manual thanks to the forum here. I've never received a clinician's manual when I purchased a cpap new. Ontario Canada.  

I bought the S9 Elite used and didn't even receive a manual.  I added the heated hose after I bought my cpap. (I cautioned my seller that they really should use cpap. She said she had tried, and wasn't going to use it. I said she shouldn't sell it to me, but she did.)

Since then I've found a DME that is very very helpful. They offer loaner masks.

Finally, in my 25 years of cpap use I finally have a good CPAP/sleep doctor. He reviewed my "sleepyhead" reports and appreciated them! All's not perfect, but it's better than I've ever had before. (Dr Inyoue was my old sleep dok. His reviews on "rate my doc" or whatever it is are too kind. But they make fun reading. He sure made people angry.)
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2019, 08:47 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Dave, my wife, more than i is inclined to let the humidifier run dry, forgetting to exchange the water every night. When the bottom of the container starts to feel like a cat's tongue, I just deal with it.  It doesn't need it often, but frankly I'm grossed out by rinsing with comparatively ineffective vinegar. We have used CPAP for a lot of years and lived in many locations. I think our PA water is probably quite a bit harder than what we had back in California.  We have never used distilled.

Thanks for your post. 

I shall take better care of my humidifier. 
Our water is hard; however, it's not nearly as hard as Guelph water from the aquifer underground. Guelph is about an hour's drive west from me. Many of my neighbours have water softeners. I don't. I don't want to drink salt carry-over from a water softener. 

I fill my humidifier every night; if there's any water left in it from previous day's use, I drain that first. If I'm tired and cranky I may not have filled to the MAX line, so I'll do better there.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2019, 11:27 AM)snorybob Wrote: Using tap water it's better to drain/ rinse / dry daily if you don't want a mineral deposit. The other option is, like I do, buy distilled water from  Walmart (cheapest place) for $1.00 / 4lts. I buy 3 or 4 bottles at a time & I'm good for a couple of months.

Thanks snorybob.

Appreciate your advice. I used distilled water with my previous cpap because it was required. 

Water in the toronto area seems quite hard, but no where near as hard as Guelph's water.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-01-2019, 08:20 AM)DaveL Wrote: 1/2 my mornings my humidifier tub is empty when I shut the cpap off. There's nothing to drain. It's somewhat "hard" water. So I slowly get a build up plated on the bottom of the humidifier. I use tap water, not distilled water. 

You can still drastically reduce the mineral buildup by taking the tub to the sink filling with water, swish it around and poring it out.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-01-2019, 09:05 AM)Dog Slobber Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 08:20 AM)DaveL Wrote: 1/2 my mornings my humidifier tub is empty when I shut the cpap off. There's nothing to drain. It's somewhat "hard" water. So I slowly get a build up plated on the bottom of the humidifier. I use tap water, not distilled water. 

You can still drastically reduce the mineral buildup by taking the tub to the sink filling with water, swish it around and poring it out.

Thanks
I shall in future...good advice.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2019, 10:01 AM)DaveL Wrote: I'm sleeping longer. Over 8 hours regularly. AHI was 0.3 this morning. The reservoir was dry when I woke up.

My humidifier capacity is too low. I woke early, filled the humidifier and put on my cervical collar. (I had been mouth breathing.)

Can I reduce the humidity with my S9 so it uses less water? ResMed H5i on my S9 Elite

I'm grateful for the help here.

Following suggestions, I shall clean my humidifier tub more often. I used vinegar yesterday as you suggested. It was easy. 
I'll monitor how much I put in--fill it full to the MAX line. So there's more water to use.

I hope these two changes will prevent me boiling the humidifier dry; when that happened in the past, heating the thin cake of sediment on the bottom of the empty tub caused the odour problem I spoke of.

I'll continue using tap water. It's more convenient than distilled water for me. 

I understand my s9 better now. I want to keep using the heated hose I have. It makes using cpap more comfortable for me. I know now that if I want to have heated air I can only adjust the temperature of the air delivered. I can't control the amount of water used unless I use manual control, without the hose heater.

Thanks everyone.

8.3 hours last night. AHI of 0.1, and my clean humidifier still had some water in it this morning
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-01-2019, 12:53 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
Quote:Does DaveL have the option to block off the humidifier or is that only on the 10 series?

On the S9 you can remove the humidifier by unclipping it from the blower unit. You can then plug a standard non-heated hose directly into the blower.

Thanks for clarifying that DeepBreathing. I'm not as familiar with the 9 series as I'd like to be.

Good day to ya Coffee
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-01-2019, 01:03 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 12:53 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
Quote:Does DaveL have the option to block off the humidifier or is that only on the 10 series?

On the S9 you can remove the humidifier by unclipping it from the blower unit. You can then plug a standard non-heated hose directly into the blower.

Thanks for clarifying that DeepBreathing. I'm not as familiar with the 9 series as I'd like to be.

Good day to ya  Coffee

Thanks so much for your response. After all, if I don't have enough capacity in my humidifier tub, this is a good choice.
s9 Elite + hose and mask

We have a very cold winter here. Humidity in my house is really low. We're considering adding a humidifier on the furnace to protect my wife's fine ukuleles. If we do that will help.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
I got the very same problem, only worse, my water runs out in the middle of my sleep. The environment is dry so I have to use max setting to achieve comfortable air. Before I had to use biotene on top of that to keep my throat from turning into a desert. I got used to not using it and just sleeping on max humidity setting, but the water runs out after 3-4 hours. The only solution I can think of is either modding the reservoir or ordering a custom one, I tried the latter and unfortunately it'd cost $300 + to have an extended replica of the original reservoir printed in 3d aluminum alloy. I'm not really comfortable with cutting one side of the reservoir and using any type of glue to stick an extension to it. 

An extended S10 reservoir from the manufacturer(resmed) would be greatly appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-01-2019, 03:12 PM)crowtor Wrote: I got the very same problem, only worse, my water runs out in the middle of my sleep. The environment is dry so I have to use max setting to achieve comfortable air. Before I had to use biotene on top of that to keep my throat from turning into a desert. I got used to not using it and just sleeping on max humidity setting, but the water runs out after 3-4 hours. The only solution I can think of is either modding the reservoir or ordering a custom one, I tried the latter and unfortunately it'd cost $300 + to have an extended replica of the original reservoir printed in 3d aluminum alloy. I'm not really comfortable with cutting one side of the reservoir and using any type of glue to stick an extension to it. 

An extended S10 reservoir from the manufacturer(resmed) would be greatly appreciated.

Oh my.  
That's a tough one to fix.  Separate tank and a siphon to your cpap humidifier tub?

My experience a couple of days ago caused me to start this thread.
I actually woke up early in the morning, and took my empty humidifier tub to the bathroom and filled it, Then I returned to bed about 5:00 am. I stayed in bed for more than an hour and couldn't sleep. Mask on. CPAP running. That night I wore my mask for 8.7 hours I think...

I often get up once or twice in a night for bathroom breaks.

I used to have trouble sleeping. I'd get 4, or 5 or so hours of sleep with mask on.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 13 407 4 hours ago
Last Post: stevew168
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 383 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 986 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 825 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 208 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 254 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.