Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleeping longer--how do I reduce humidity within my humidifier?
Sleeping longer--how do I reduce humidity within my humidifier?
I'm sleeping longer. Over 8 hours regularly. AHI was 0.3 this morning. The reservoir was dry when I woke up.

My humidifier capacity is too low. I woke early, filled the humidifier and put on my cervical collar. (I had been mouth breathing.)

Can I reduce the humidity with my S9 so it uses less water? ResMed H5i on my S9 Elite
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleeping longer--how do I reduce humidity within my humidifier?
Confession. My humidifier chamber has deposits in it from mineral in the water. I need to clean it, or replace it. When the humidifier is dry the warm air from my cpap and humidifier stinks. (Should should I use distilled water? It's inconvenient and expensive.)
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Using tap water it's better to drain/ rinse / dry daily if you don't want a mineral deposit. The other option is, like I do, buy distilled water from  Walmart (cheapest place) for $1.00 / 4lts. I buy 3 or 4 bottles at a time & I'm good for a couple of months.
Post Reply Post Reply
The mineral deposits can be removed with vinegar. Just soak it for a while. Scrub with a cloth and/or old tooth brush ot cotton swab for corners and crevices. Then rinse. If it stinks, you may have a bacterial build up. Regular cleaning with mild detergent should prevent that. After the vinegar treatment it may be a good idea to give it a good rinse with drugstore hydrogen peroxide. That shouldn't usually be necessary if you clean regularly with mild detergent.  The bacteria are probably not pathogens so there's no need to replace the humidifier if you can get it clean.
Download OSCAR

Organize Charts
Attaching Charts

Mask Primer
Soft Cervical Collar

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2019, 11:43 AM)Melman Wrote: The mineral deposits can be removed with vinegar. Just soak it for a while. Scrub with a cloth and/or old tooth brush ot cotton swab for corners and crevices. Then rinse. If it stinks, you may have a bacterial build up. Regular cleaning with mild detergent should prevent that. After the vinegar treatment it may be a good idea to give it a good rinse with drugstore hydrogen peroxide. That shouldn't usually be necessary if you clean regularly with mild detergent.  The bacteria are probably not pathogens so there's no need to replace the humidifier if you can get it clean.

Thanks!
Wondering...Can I reduce the rate of humidification on my CPAP? 
I add water to the full mark, then sleep too long.  I'm not complaining. Sleep is good.

I added water last night at 5:00 am. Then I couldn't sleep...up at 6:30 am.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2019, 12:01 PM)DaveL Wrote: Wondering...Can I reduce the rate of humidification on my CPAP? 
I add water to the full mark, then sleep too long.  I'm not complaining. Sleep is good.

I added water last night at 5:00 am. Then I couldn't sleep...up at 6:30 am.

Yes, here's a Youtube showing how to change the humidity on your S0 it's at the 1:30 second mark. I wouldn't change it to much, go down a notch see how it lasts and your comfort level. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2LMJI1L...nue=90&

You can also consider an external humidifier in your bedroom during drier seasons.

I use distilled water. I prefer buying distilled over the inconvenience of cleaning mineral sediment off my tank.
Post Reply Post Reply
I started out using distilled water in the humidifier in my AutoSense 10. Got tired of having to buy it and keep enough on hand. 

About 45 days ago, I started using tap water. As has been mentioned already, if you empty the reservoir each and every morning, you will not have any mineral deposits.

I dump out any remaining water, then wipe it dry with a tissue, and let it sit out for a few hours to insure it's completely dry. 

Works like a charm............ Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the hints.

I've been filling the reservoir to the MAX mark nightly. I use tap water.

I regularly wake up in the morning with the humidifier reservoir empty. However, the humidifier is still cooking away..

So if there is any residue left in the reservoir it is baked in place. I'll clean the reservoir tonight before I fill it.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to confess something to you that most here will criticize....I use Lime-A-Way to knock off the carbonate deposits on a humidifier chamber. It literally takes seconds and with a good rinse is as good as new. This is a stronger cleaner than most members use, and contains sulfanic acid, but I have found it effective, odorless, safe, and have not found any problems. https://www.whatsinproducts.com//brands/...ds/1/11830

For disinfection, hydrogen peroxide can't be beat. I use just enough to cover the bottom of the container and use a Q tip to ensure the all the cracks and crevices are cleaned. The hydrogen peroxide has a foaming action that helps mechanically clean surfaces and places you can't reach. I promise this works and will leave equipment fresh. Hydrogen peroxide in the tube is also very effective. Just enough to fill a small segment, then alternately lift one end and the other to spread it through the tube will ensure it is completely cleaned and disinfected. I recommend rinsing, but hydrogen peroxide degrades quickly to water and oxygen, so nothing harmful there.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
There is nothing wrong with using a commercial product that busts up lime and other deposits, SR.  Vinegar is cheap and effective, although you can get much better concentrations from a higher percentage of acetic acid, which is really all vinegar is. You could also use muriatic acid, ascorbic acid...really any acid that won't affect the plastic and seals, or your hands.  I am a fan of a product called CLR (for Calcium, Lime, and Rust), although since our local water is first class, I don't get deposits or scale. 

To readers looking in, is your local tap water drinkable?  Not too hard?  If it is nice and clear, eminently drinkable out of the tap, and doesn't have an odour other than chlorine/bromine, then it is going to be a cheap way to fill your humidifier.  No need for more costly distilled water.  As has been intimated by others, the trick is to not let the dregs stand long or get low, but mostly you're going to have problems if you just keep adding water without rinsing the vessel.  YOU MUST RINSE!  If not daily, then every second day.  It is in adding fresh water to the two or three tablespoons left over in the vessel each day that will eventually cause scale buildup.

Now, having said all that, our local water is so good that I fill my reservoir every third day and rinse at the time of filling.  Water stands in my unit three days at a time because my settings are so low. I haven't the slightest hint of any staining showing let alone scale.

One last suggestion: even if your local water isn't exactly the best, and even if it's somewhat hard and most local households have softeners, you can use either the untreated or the treated water without worry, provided you do rinse well most mornings, and don't simply top up the volume of water by adding more.  Rinsing is the key.  Eventually, you will still get some scale.  Lemon juice, vinegar, Scale Away, CLR...take your pick, they all work given enough time.  Go cheap!!!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 366 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 347 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 813 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 203 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 251 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.