Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleeping longer--how do I reduce humidity within my humidifier?
RE: Sleeping longer--how do I reduce humidity within my humidifier?
(01-31-2019, 10:19 AM)DaveL Wrote: Confession. My humidifier chamber has deposits in it from mineral in the water. I need to clean it, or replace it. When the humidifier is dry the warm air from my cpap and humidifier stinks. (Should should I use distilled water? It's inconvenient and expensive.)

Distilled water really not required. It just means you should clean the tub more frequently. But I can't make you do that. Smile
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2019, 04:01 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: I'm going to confess something to you that most here will criticize....I use Lime-A-Way to knock off the carbonate deposits on a humidifier chamber.  It literally takes seconds and with a good rinse is as good as new.  This is a stronger cleaner than most members use, and contains sulfanic acid, but I have found it effective, odorless, safe, and have not found any problems.  https://www.whatsinproducts.com//brands/...ds/1/11830

For disinfection, hydrogen peroxide can't be beat.  I use just enough to cover the bottom of the container and use a Q tip to ensure the all the cracks and crevices are cleaned.  The hydrogen peroxide has a foaming action that helps mechanically clean surfaces and places you can't reach.  I promise this works and will leave equipment fresh.  Hydrogen peroxide in the tube is also very effective. Just enough to fill a small segment, then alternately lift one end and the other to spread it through the tube will ensure it is completely cleaned and disinfected.  I recommend rinsing, but hydrogen peroxide degrades quickly to water and oxygen, so nothing harmful there.

Curious Dave here, Sleeprider. Am I correct in believing that Lime-A-Way is indicative of possessing hard water?
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dave, my wife, more than i is inclined to let the humidifier run dry, forgetting to exchange the water every night. When the bottom of the container starts to feel like a cat's tongue, I just deal with it. It doesn't need it often, but frankly I'm grossed out by rinsing with comparatively ineffective vinegar. We have used CPAP for a lot of years and lived in many locations. I think our PA water is probably quite a bit harder than what we had back in California. We have never used distilled.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Getting back to the original question which hasn't been addressed yet:

DaveL Wrote:Wondering...Can I reduce the rate of humidification on my CPAP?

You can adjust your humidifier in one of two ways.

If you have the heated hose, it's likely that "climate control" will be set to automatic, and the only adjustable parameter will be temperature. To change to manual operation you need to go into the clinical menu (press the Setup button and push-dial simultaneously for three seconds). Navigate your way to climate control and set it to manual. You then have the option of changing the humidifier temperature and flow rate independently. You can also turn the humidifier off.

If you have a standard (non-heated) hose, the climate control defaults to manual operation.

If you don't already have one, get hold of the clinician manual for your machine - see the link at the top of this page.
Post Reply Post Reply
Copy Sleeprider, and thanks.

Does DaveL have the option to block off the humidifier or is that only on the 10 series?
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Does DaveL have the option to block off the humidifier or is that only on the 10 series?

On the S9 you can remove the humidifier by unclipping it from the blower unit. You can then plug a standard non-heated hose directly into the blower.
Post Reply Post Reply
Big improvement due to posts here. I cleaned my humidifier tub with cleaning vinegar last night. Big improvement. It only took a few minutes.

1/2 my mornings my humidifier tub is empty when I shut the cpap off. There's nothing to drain. It's somewhat "hard" water. So I slowly get a build up plated on the bottom of the humidifier. I use tap water, not distilled water. Temp outside is -17 degrees Celcius. I don't have a home humidifier on my furnace. Furnace is working hard. My NEST thermostat says the humidity is about 35 % inside the house last time I checked.

I had my cpap on for 8.3 hours last night. AHI was 0.1. Although I woke a number of times, I feel rested and that's good.
DaveL
compliant for 35 years /// Still trying!

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php..._The_Guide

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2019, 07:28 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote:
(01-31-2019, 10:19 AM)DaveL Wrote: Confession. My humidifier chamber has deposits in it from mineral in the water. I need to clean it, or replace it. When the humidifier is dry the warm air from my cpap and humidifier stinks. (Should should I use distilled water? It's inconvenient and expensive.)

Distilled water really not required. It just means you should clean the tub more frequently. But I can't make you do that. Smile

Your suggestion helps. Thanks.
I shall clean it more frequently.
DaveL

I'm just a cpap user like you. I don't give medical advice. Seek the advice of a physician before seeking treatment for medical conditions including sleep apnea. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-31-2019, 09:07 PM)SarcasticDave94 Wrote: Copy Sleeprider, and thanks.

Does DaveL have the option to block off the humidifier or is that only on the 10 series?

Thanks for your question. 
The humidifier is an accessory.  I can disconnect it completely. Then I would attach my hose to the blower portion of the cpap.

I purchased a heated hose after I bought my used S9 Elite with humidifier. There's no rainout. And warmer discharge air is more comfortable for me. The hose would not be heated if I remove the humidifier.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-01-2019, 12:53 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote:
Quote:Does DaveL have the option to block off the humidifier or is that only on the 10 series?

On the S9 you can remove the humidifier by unclipping it from the blower unit. You can then plug a standard non-heated hose directly into the blower.

Thanks.
Yes. I sometimes travel without my humidifier. The trunk in my car is very small...leaving the humidifier and water behind reduces the volume I have to carry in it.
DaveL

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 10 354 03-26-2024, 11:08 PM
Last Post: chrotteg
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 823 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 206 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 253 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.