Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleeping meds to get used to CPAP?
Sleeping meds to get used to CPAP?
I am trying to be patient but I am just downright tired!!! its been a week since I started using my CPAP and I have barely gotten any sleep, I only sleep once I cant take the nasal pillows off. So I am wondering if I should take something to help me sleep in an effort to try and get used to this? I dont want to take something long term but I am wondering if Tylenol PM would be ok for a few nights?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleeping meds to get used to CPAP?
I know this is hard to hear/read but it's only been a week.

Have you tried other masks?

Have you asked the doctor to start you on a lower pressure and slowly increase it as you get used to it?

Are you more tired now than before you started CPAP?

Have you tried wearing the mask, with the machine turned on, during the day to help get used to it?

It's not easy. But no condition/illness/syndrome/whatever is.

As for medication, the sleep aid in most pain relievers is benedryl or similar. If you need the pain relief too, then Tylenol PM is good. If you just want to sleep, then an allergy med would do it.

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I called DME today to ask to try a full mask instead of the nasal pillows, not surprised that they are going to make me jump thru hoops to get one.
I am getting into bed about an hour early and putting it on to get used to it, seems to be fine until I turn off the TV or close the book I am reading. Tried using the white noise machine also, helped a little. The bigger issue is that I just want to sleep on my stomach and with the nasal pillows its hard.
I know I have little patience, I think I am just tired of being tired!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
The FF mask is going to be even worse for sleeping on your stomach.

I can't sleep that way so I have no hints or suggestions.

Which mask do you use? What gets in the way?
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
Switching from nasal pillows to FFM (full face mask) is going to the complete other end of the spectrum.

Why not try the intermediate step of trying a standard nasal mask?

FFMs are notorious for leaking. Thinking-about

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
The issue is that when I try to sleep on my stomach it feels like the nasal pillows are deeper into my nose, causing me to be more uncomfortable. I try to put my face off to the side of the pillow but somehow the pillows are pushed into my nose more by my bed pillow. Do I need to try and relearn my sleep position?
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2012, 08:55 PM)antcyd Wrote: Do I need to try and relearn my sleep position?
It does help and good luck

Post Reply Post Reply
What mask are you using? There's a lot of different nasal pillows. There's some that are narrow-er and less likely to hit the pillow. Really, if you want to sleep on your stomach, you're pretty much stuck with that kind. I don't see a nasal mask being any better. And A FF mask is not going to work for stomach sleeping.

Sleeping on your stomach is not a good position anyway. You could try a body pillow and kinda lay on that at an angle. That would turn cause the head to push less downward onto the pillow. If that works, then you can slowly transition onto your side.

I have the Breeze. I truly cannot get into that position (my head doesn't turn that far easily). It might be a good mask to try. The hard headgear might get in the way but the nose part goes straight up the nose and over the top of the head. Even sleeping on my side the mask doesn't hit the pillow.

PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2012, 08:55 PM)antcyd Wrote: ... I try to put my face off to the side of the pillow but somehow the pillows are pushed into my nose more by my bed pillow.

You can also try a much firmer pillow. Memory foam helps, as do other pillow materials which don't change shape as much as feathers/down/similar.
Breathing keeps you alive. And PAP helps keep you breathing!
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-09-2012, 07:39 PM)antcyd Wrote: I dont want to take something long term but I am wondering if Tylenol PM would be ok for a few nights?

Of course it would! Benadryl is the active (sleep) ingredient in Tylenol PM. It's simply a very mild sedative. You could even ask your doctor for something stronger to be used in the short term. You are trying to sleep under some very uncomfortable circumstances. Some people find that CPAP therapy doesn't interfere with their sleep. I'm not among them. My first month on CPAP was terrible. In addition to not being able to sleep, it was pumping air into my stomach. Very uncomfortable.

(05-09-2012, 08:06 PM)antcyd Wrote: The bigger issue is that I just want to sleep on my stomach and with the nasal pillows its hard.

I sleep on my stomach, too. Get a small pillow and hang your nose over the edge. Maybe buy a Papillow.

Don't let this bother you mentally. The reaction you're having is perfectly normal and perfectly understandable. You're trying to sleep with a hoseful of pressurized air in your face!

The good news is that you're human, and that means your body and your mind will adapt and get used to the CPAP machine. In a few short weeks you'll find that you're finally able to sleep better than you can ever remember.

I've been on CPAP therapy for a little over six months now. I'm finally at the point where I can feel rested most days. It makes for a far less stressful life.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 150 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 813 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 203 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 251 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 458 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.