Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Restarting CPAP after 3 years
Restarting CPAP after 3 years
I've spent the last few days reading a LOT on here, after accidently discovering this board while researching chin straps. I've learnt a lot too, so thank you.

I was diagnosed in 2013 (AHI 28.8, overall sleep efficiency 41.6%, no REM, and severe sleep fragmentation - arousal index 37.3/hr).

I purchased my machine and Mirage Quattro mask and started therapy. Unfortunately it only lasted a few months.

Fast forward to March 2016. I'm at the point where I'm totally exhausted, and just can't continue on like this. I dusted off my old mask and started using the machine again. I could only stand a couple of nights due to the air leaking into my eyes constantly. I took my machine and mask back to where I got them to get refitted correctly, and was told the mask was too big (it was small). She gave me an Amara View mask (small) to trial. Well, it was great to begin with. But unbeknownst to me it was leaking a LOT (46 l/min, 90th percentile system leak 59.0 l/min) and I was drooling a fair bit.

Two days ago I was given a Pilairo nasal ... Prongs? Pillow? to trial for three days. I purchased the SeaTec chin strap to go with it. I now have a couple of questions, if I may?

The chip strap is extremely painful on the inside of the seam that runs down the chin. There seems to be a hard, clear glue that was applied. I am currently putting folded up tissue against it so I can use it, but even the tissue has the indentation of the glue strip when I take it out next morning. Is this how they are?

The other question is...last night I noticed my mask/pillow dribbled water out of it as I readjusted it. I removed it and I was able to flick water out of the tubing as well. I've never had the tubing get wet before with other masks. The humidity on the machine is set at 3 and is on constantly, so I don't think that's it. Each toilet break I flicked out more water before I reattached the tubing.

Im booked for a study on April 12 to check levels and for titration. I hope to have the mask sorted before then so I know what I want and what's most comfortable.

I look forward to learning more from everyone. This time I'm on the journey for the long haul...no giving up.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Restarting CPAP after 3 years
My sleep tech told me that if you are getting water in the mask to turn the humidity down. A heated hose might help. I have one so I have no idea what the impact of an unheated one is.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi StaffyGirl,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
It’s great to hear that you are trying CPAP for the second time around.
You can either buy a hose cover, or make one out of old socks. Cut the toes out of the socks and sew them together. Make the sock tube the length of your hose. Take a rubberband and put one on each end of it and this will help with the rainout you are getting.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you restart your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Water condenses out of the air flow when the hose is a lower temperature than the humid air. As above cover the hose to help it stay warmer.
Put the machine lower then your head and adjust the hose so then when the water condenses it will run back into the machine.
I don't know about your brand of machine or what your insurance coverage is, but many brands have the option of a heated hose and automatic temperature control to prevent "rain out" (this is what you are describing)

Amara View-I use it and love it, but it does take some getting used to. this mask does not like to be over tightened, or pulled up against the bottom of your nose, or riding too low on your chin- tends to encourage you to open your lips. I put mine on, turn on the machine, then grasp the frame and pull slightly outward and set it back down-this lets the seal cushion seat properly. For the nose the mask seals around the edge of the bottom of your nose, not under your nose. The cup that you place your nose into should just cover the tip of your nose.

Many nights I find myself putting my hand in front of my face to make sure I have remembered to put my mask on.
Post Reply Post Reply
I used a Seatec chin strap for a while and in the end didn't really like the restricted feel it gave me. Following what I read on this forum I bought a soft cervical collar instead. It the same results for mouth breathing and was far more comfortable to use. YMMV

I use a Dreamwear nasal mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2016, 02:01 AM)StaffyGirl Wrote: She gave me an Amara View mask (small) to trial. Well, it was great to begin with. But unbeknownst to me it was leaking a LOT (46 l/min, 90th percentile system leak 59.0 l/min) and I was drooling a fair bit.

I would try the Simplus.

Quote:The chip strap is extremely painful on the inside of the seam that runs down the chin.

Is it inside-out?

You don't need a chin strap unless you're mouth-leaking. If you are, and the chin strap doesn't help, you'll need to go back to the full face mask.

I know this is a testy process, but as you gradually get it tweaked you'll be much more comfortable. Soon, it gets easy.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a mouth breather and a chin strap does not work for me, and I have not been able to find a FFM that works either. However a soft cervical collar works really good. It keeps my mouth closed.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-03-2016, 02:01 AM)StaffyGirl Wrote: I've spent the last few days reading a LOT on here, after accidently discovering this board while researching chin straps. I've learnt a lot too, so thank you.

I was diagnosed in 2013 (AHI 28.8, overall sleep efficiency 41.6%, no REM, and severe sleep fragmentation - arousal index 37.3/hr).

I purchased my machine and Mirage Quattro mask and started therapy. Unfortunately it only lasted a few months.

Fast forward to March 2016. I'm at the point where I'm totally exhausted, and just can't continue on like this. I dusted off my old mask and started using the machine again. I could only stand a couple of nights due to the air leaking into my eyes constantly. I took my machine and mask back to where I got them to get refitted correctly, and was told the mask was too big (it was small). She gave me an Amara View mask (small) to trial. Well, it was great to begin with. But unbeknownst to me it was leaking a LOT (46 l/min, 90th percentile system leak 59.0 l/min) and I was drooling a fair bit.

Two days ago I was given a Pilairo nasal ... Prongs? Pillow? to trial for three days. I purchased the SeaTec chin strap to go with it. I now have a couple of questions, if I may?

The chip strap is extremely painful on the inside of the seam that runs down the chin. There seems to be a hard, clear glue that was applied. I am currently putting folded up tissue against it so I can use it, but even the tissue has the indentation of the glue strip when I take it out next morning. Is this how they are?

The other question is...last night I noticed my mask/pillow dribbled water out of it as I readjusted it. I removed it and I was able to flick water out of the tubing as well. I've never had the tubing get wet before with other masks. The humidity on the machine is set at 3 and is on constantly, so I don't think that's it. Each toilet break I flicked out more water before I reattached the tubing.

Im booked for a study on April 12 to check levels and for titration. I hope to have the mask sorted before then so I know what I want and what's most comfortable.

I look forward to learning more from everyone. This time I'm on the journey for the long haul...no giving up.

Staffygirl I feel for you, I hope your work is going easy on you while you get your therapy set right, also I LOVE your PIC!! What a sweet heart is that your baby?
P.S. You will feel soo much better once therapy is going well! Best of Luck to you!
I enjoy being with a group who like to share their "Hosehead" experiences, to remind me I am not alone.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 118 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  25 years of cpap, and still not working good Johan van der veen 2 176 03-08-2024, 10:15 AM
Last Post: Johan van der veen
  [Symptoms] CPAP(UARS) user 10+ years, still feel terrible DB10 17 1,013 03-05-2024, 09:37 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question Low AHI for years but tired and low SpO2 spikes down to 85%. Brain MRI abnormal MyronH 4 678 02-25-2024, 11:33 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Back at it after a few years HomerJ 7 541 02-18-2024, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Confused After A Few Years Sleeper396 2 291 02-18-2024, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Sleeper396
  5 years and never looked at the stats, need advice StephenB 5 346 02-08-2024, 05:00 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.