Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleeping on Back--- a Mixed Bag
Sleeping on Back--- a Mixed Bag
I spent most of my life sleeping on my stomach and still feel drawn to that position---even though sleeping that way has been impossible since some surgeries a few years ago. The best I can do is sleeping on my side. But since I started CPAP therapy, I'm questioning the side-sleeping.

I find that sleeping on my side requires my mask be strapped on tighter. If I sleep on my back, I can loosen my mask straps to the point where I can barely feel that I have a mask on. I sleep the longest that way.

So there I am... on my back... getting the best sleep... but hating the position because it reminds me of being in the hospital and it's the polar opposite of my "favorite" position (which is barely a distant memory at this point.) But it sure beats my life before CPAP when I hardly slept at all.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleeping on Back--- a Mixed Bag
G'day SeaPup, welcome to Apnea Board.

I remember I used to sleep on my stomach, then on my side and finally - like you - on my back. These days I have chronic lower back problems and I find sleeping on my side often aggravates that, so sleeping on my back is best for me. However, that's the worst position for apneacs - we should stay off our back as much as possible. There are two avenues to explore - your mask and your pillow.

A lot of people find that nasal masks or (more specifically) nasal pillows are better for side-sleeping. I really prefer a full face mask, so that's out for me. The other avenue is to look at your pillow. You can get special cpap pillows with a cut-away section to accommodate the mask. Alternatively you could try a duck-down pillow which you can just pummel into shape, which is what I do when I side-sleep. Or there are pillows filled with corn(?) husks which do the same thing. Maybe not corn - some kind of grain. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-05-2016, 06:49 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: A lot of people find that nasal masks or (more specifically) nasal pillows are better for side-sleeping.

I tried those out, but that was before I "discovered" EPR. I need to re-evaluate the nose mask and pillows again. I use a thin pillow which I beat into submission every night. I will look into a CPAP pillow.

Comparing our avatars, it seems we both tend to buy our CPAP masks at Army Surplus stores. Mine obviously needs some attention with neatsfoot oil and brass cleaner. Rolleyes
Post Reply Post Reply
It is possible to sleep with a CPAP on your stomach. You can google "Falcon sleeping position" for some tips. It looks like this when you're using a CPAP mask:

[Image: cpapsleep2.jpg]
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't think I can sleep on my back with obstructing all over the place, even with CPAP/APAP/ASV. If I chance to land in that position for a significant portion of the night, I'm guaranteed to have a very high AHI and feel like crap the next day. And I'll probably wake up dreaming I'm suffocating. Fortunately, it rarely happens. It's too bad, because I'd like to be able to sleep on my back. I have to sleep on my side, preferably my right side, and I've yet to find the perfect pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply
I love my cpap pillow. It's a Buckwheat Husk CPAP pillow.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi SeaPup,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
If I sleep on my back for too long, I don’t feel as well the next day.
I have a buckwheat hull pillow and I really like it; I can shape it into position and it works well for me.
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy and hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a buckwheat hull pillow too. The other side of it is the millet hull. I've grown to like the buckwheat side better. Both maintain their shape the entire night, unlike my feather pillow. So when I lay on my side and shape it to the mask, it stays that way.

If you choose to sleep on your back, and feel best sleeping that way, there are things you can do. You can raise the head of the bed in some way. The entire head (however boards feel right to you screwed together then lids screwed on where the bed's feet will sit), the mattress (boards again, but just under the mattress), or just you and your pillow (wedge pillows or multiple pillows). I use a body pillow, turn it so it forms a U, with the curve against the headboard. I then put a pillow into that U so it goes up the legs (like an I inside the U). Then I use another pillow and turn it sideways. The U supports my shoulders. The I supports my back. And the 3rd one supports my head and neck.

I also suggest a folded over body pillow under your knees.

Evaluate your AHI after a week or so. If you are feeling rested and the numbers are fine, then so are you.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,956 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 807 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 203 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 248 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  hi there, another mixed apnea here cexer 8 471 03-11-2024, 11:04 PM
Last Post: cexer

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.