Sleeping on back
sumzzzs Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: PRS1 BiPap Auto 750P
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: ResMed Mirage Quattro.
Humidifier: PR System One Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 10 EPAP 15 IPAP
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Sleeping on back
Back again, hello all, please I'm open to all suggestions on how to stay off my back? I've defeated some of the strategies I've used. 1) Body pillow (homemade) 2)Tennis ball in underwear, although this does work for 1st part of evening. It seems most of my apnea is definitely while I'm on my back.
01-15-2015 05:49 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
saltydawg2 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: Resmed S9 autoset
Mask Make & Model: F/P Flexi-fit 431
Humidifier: h5i
CPAP Pressure: 11.8 min-14 max
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments:

RE: Sleeping on back
I still wake up, at night, so anytime I find myself on my back, I roll over. I can tell when I do not catch it; my Obstructive Apneas are up when I check the software. Don't really think back sleeping is my dominate position, anymore, although it has been for most of my adult life. With the help from this group, AHI has gone from 12-16, to under 5, in the last month. So, don't really sweat it, much...
01-15-2015 06:39 PM
brianwood619 Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 VPAP Auto
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus
Humidifier: H5i Heated Humidifier
CPAP Pressure: 16-22cm/h2o

Other Comments:

I thought I was a dominant side sleeper until my study which showed I was on my back for most of the night. If yr pressure is set correctly it should not matter what position you sleep in unless you flip over on your stomach. I start out on my side and then wake up on my back, according to sleepyhead I can't tell when the transition from side to back happens.
01-17-2015 11:04 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
jeffembe Offline

New Members-b

Machine: Resmed VPAP Adapt S9 wH5 humidifier
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed FX
Humidifier: H5
CPAP Pressure: 8-13

Other Comments:

Took almost 4 years and 4 studies, 3 machines to get properly diagnosed. From obstructive changed to central. There is an obstructive element, but only sleeping position or some meds (OTC sleep aids - kill me) make this kick-in.

Resmed S9 Adapt w/humdifier works well.

But I can only sleep on my back. I used to be a stomach sleeper but found that even a little chest pressure nullified the CPAP.

Early on read suggestions to try sleeping in chair, more upright, pillows under back, etc which all work.
01-18-2015 11:56 AM
sumzzzs Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(01-18-2015 11:56 AM)jeffembe Wrote:  Took almost 4 years and 4 studies, 3 machines to get properly diagnosed. From obstructive changed to central. There is an obstructive element, but only sleeping position or some meds (OTC sleep aids - kill me) make this kick-in.

Resmed S9 Adapt w/humdifier works well.

But I can only sleep on my back. I used to be a stomach sleeper but found that even a little chest pressure nullified the CPAP.

Early on read suggestions to try sleeping in chair, more upright, pillows under back, etc which all work.

That's where I'm at, new to CPAP, obstructive doesn't seem to be as prevalent as Centrals, and I have a lot of them. I am on sleep aid at the moment I guess it's time to knock these off.
01-18-2015 06:14 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
becker44a Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: F&P Simplus Lg
Humidifier: ResMed H5i
CPAP Pressure: Rx 10 - 20cm, Usually 10-14cm

Other Comments:

(01-15-2015 05:49 PM)sumzzzs Wrote:  Back again, hello all, please I'm open to all suggestions on how to stay off my back? I've defeated some of the strategies I've used. 1) Body pillow (homemade) 2)Tennis ball in underwear, although this does work for 1st part of evening. It seems most of my apnea is definitely while I'm on my back.

Hi sumzzzs,
I'm one of those who MUST stay off my back - my sleep study showed an AHI of almost 60 when supine, only 3 otherwise. However, I did not have this data at first, as the Sleep Dr. did not think I needed to know this and omitted it from the Summary report. For the 1st month, I had serious problems trying to get my AHI below 10 - it was often above 15. Finally I started to try measures to stay on my side. I tried a couple of large, heavy memory-foam pillows. Made some difference, but not enough. Then I tried the tennis balls in a sock on the back of my shirt - again, not enough. I then jumped to trying a knapsack/backpack full of lumpy objects, like plastic dog toys, tennis ball canisters, etc. Voila! My AHI is now averaging well below 1, and I'm still sleeping with a backpack, along with the memory-foam pillows. This sounded crazy at first to me, but it's working, and very well indeed.

Some folks have indicated that their PAP machine controls their apneas well enough that they can sleep on their back. I don't ever expect to join that group. When a backpack strap gets a little too loose, or otherwise I slip somewhat sideways in the straps, I will start having some really nasty clusters of events. If that happens, it often jacks up the pressure enough for the leakage to waken me. Then I turn off the machine briefly, re-position myself, restart the machine, and I'm asleep again in a few minutes. I also look at the data daily so I can spot and correct any trend in the wrong direction ASAP.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to experiment - the results can be dramatic.

A.Becker
PAPing in NE Ohio, with a pack of Cairn terriers
01-19-2015 01:59 AM
sumzzzs Offline

Preferred Members

Other Comments:

(01-19-2015 01:59 AM)becker44a Wrote:  
(01-15-2015 05:49 PM)sumzzzs Wrote:  Back again, hello all, please I'm open to all suggestions on how to stay off my back? I've defeated some of the strategies I've used. 1) Body pillow (homemade) 2)Tennis ball in underwear, although this does work for 1st part of evening. It seems most of my apnea is definitely while I'm on my back.

Hi sumzzzs,
I'm one of those who MUST stay off my back - my sleep study showed an AHI of almost 60 when supine, only 3 otherwise. However, I did not have this data at first, as the Sleep Dr. did not think I needed to know this and omitted it from the Summary report. For the 1st month, I had serious problems trying to get my AHI below 10 - it was often above 15. Finally I started to try measures to stay on my side. I tried a couple of large, heavy memory-foam pillows. Made some difference, but not enough. Then I tried the tennis balls in a sock on the back of my shirt - again, not enough. I then jumped to trying a knapsack/backpack full of lumpy objects, like plastic dog toys, tennis ball canisters, etc. Voila! My AHI is now averaging well below 1, and I'm still sleeping with a backpack, along with the memory-foam pillows. This sounded crazy at first to me, but it's working, and very well indeed.

Some folks have indicated that their PAP machine controls their apneas well enough that they can sleep on their back. I don't ever expect to join that group. When a backpack strap gets a little too loose, or otherwise I slip somewhat sideways in the straps, I will start having some really nasty clusters of events. If that happens, it often jacks up the pressure enough for the leakage to waken me. Then I turn off the machine briefly, re-position myself, restart the machine, and I'm asleep again in a few minutes. I also look at the data daily so I can spot and correct any trend in the wrong direction ASAP.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to experiment - the results can be dramatic.

I've tried to rig up something similar using a lumbar support for a chair. But your idea sounds like something I need to try also, thanks for reply.
01-19-2015 04:07 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Turn my pressure back up? duece12345 5 174 12-07-2016 12:47 PM
Last Post: duece12345
  [CPAP] Machine turning self off and back on rstroudmsdwc 36 13,919 12-05-2016 09:03 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Can't Find Device Number (DN) on Back of Machine gamegrrl 5 185 11-14-2016 05:32 PM
Last Post: gamegrrl
Gross I AM BACK !! Lost53 15 1,065 10-31-2016 09:14 AM
  BiPAP ST Rx: Back up rate=0 jgoole 3 235 10-10-2016 11:35 AM
  was diagnosed with apnea 10 years ago.... last sleep study came back negative LB1982 13 1,089 10-08-2016 07:34 PM
Last Post: lab rat
  My AHI keeps going back up :/ michaelba72 15 792 10-04-2016 01:18 PM