Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleeping on side with nasal pillows
Sleeping on side with nasal pillows
I was introduced to CPAP with Swift Nasal pillows about 10 days ago with success. Smile Sleeping on my back works well but when I turn on my side, the nasal pillows tend to develop a slight leak that wakes me up.Huhsign I am happy with my situation but can anything be done to further enhance my sleep experience?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleeping on side with nasal pillows
Ah yes, learning to sleep all over again. I remember it well.

There are several things that you can do. Firstly, sleep on the edge of your pillow(s) rather than the middle, so the mask is not being pushed by the pillow when you roll to your side. That may help, but from personal experience, the typical problem is that the straps are being pulled off-line by the pressure between your head and the pillow. When this happens, lift your head slightly and simply shift the straps back into line. You may even have to "overcompensate" so that when you are lying on your side, the tension ends up being balanced on both sides of the mask.

Play around with your mask when you are lying on your side to adjust it so that the leaks stop. Eventually, you will get to the point where you make those adjustments in the same semi-sleep state as when you roll over to your side.
Post Reply Post Reply
The key is sleeping on the edge of your pillow so the mask doesn't come in direct contact with the pillow(s). Recently I also started rubbing a small amount of Aloe Vera jell around my nostrils before putting the mask on. I roll from my right to left side several times during the night and seldom have any significant leaks with my Swift FX. Also, if I have to get up at night I disconnect the mask from the hose and leave it on so I don't have to re seat it.
"Sometimes the magic works . . . and sometimes it doesn't" -- Chief Dan George in the movie Little Big Man
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Laevelder,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Great suggestions so far.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and best of luck with CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2013, 07:48 AM)Laevelder Wrote: I was introduced to CPAP with Swift Nasal pillows about 10 days ago with success. Smile Sleeping on my back works well but when I turn on my side, the nasal pillows tend to develop a slight leak that wakes me up.Huhsign I am happy with my situation but can anything be done to further enhance my sleep experience?

Howdy,
Like others of said, overcompensating the straps slightly on the edge of the pillow will give the best results. Again, you do want a good tight, meaning snug, but not overly tight fit.

I do have to say your really steps ahead of many. You have selected a great machine, a good nasal pillow, and use the sleepyhead software, and your first post. nice

welcome to the forums
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2013, 10:33 PM)Daybreak Wrote: welcome to the forums

Welcome, to the forum yourself, young padawan. You are wise for one with such a low post count. Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply
Everyone is right on the mark. I'm a side sleeper too with a nasal pillow mask.
Make sure you seat the mask well and keep the mask off the side of the pillow.

After a couple of weeks any adjustment becomes automatic when you roll over.

Welcome!
Aloha,
MrCourtney
Honolulu, HI
Post Reply Post Reply
I guess I can add myself to this group. It is learning to sleep all over again.

I've had mine for about a month now and it is getting better. I wake up to roll over/readjust less and less.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-20-2013, 02:06 PM)s5mons Wrote: I guess I can add myself to this group.
Hi s5mons, welcome to the board
Which model of the S9 are you using, model name shown next to the power button

Post Reply Post Reply
someone on another forum told me to either make my own pillow with room for my face and mask on the lower sides, or cut out that portion of a memory foam pillow, so it doesnt unseat the mask. i cut out the lower portion of a memory pillow to look like the cpap pillows available online. we will see how it goes--going to try it tonight! :grin:
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Difficulty Exhaling with Nasal Pillows? chill 23 10,765 03-26-2024, 06:13 AM
Last Post: 40plus
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 17 409 03-22-2024, 07:15 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 212 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 982 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 823 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 439 03-18-2024, 10:17 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 206 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.