Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleeping on your left side is better than the right...
I came across this and found it interesting.... the "sleep side" is the first one in the list:

Top 20 Genius & Simple Health Tips You Should Know
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I knew about the reflux theory and sleeping on my left side decades ago... and always try to sleep on that side as much as possible.

But with age has come back, kneck and shoulder problems.. so now I toss and turn for much of the night.

Among other things, I'm on reflux medication, but have managed to keep the dosage to a minimal level with side sleeping.
Post Reply Post Reply
In my last two home sleep studies, I have found that I have a lot less interruptions if I sleep on my left side vs my right.
The reflux theory seems valid to me but there are always exceptions. Sometimes I do prefer to sleep on my right vs my left for no better reason than to give my left shoulder/arm a rest. I always try to avoid the back though!
Post Reply Post Reply
I sleep on the right side of the bed and sleep on my right side so SWMBO doesn't get hit with the exhaust from my mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes that is very valid and wise exception!   Dielaughing
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
That's good to know. I have been doing that for 12 years or more because of sleeping on the left side of the bed and wanting to direct snoring away from my wife pre CPAP and now the exhaust and leakage. So I stumbled onto something good.

Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
How To Attach Images And Files to your posts
Robysue's Beginner's Guide to Sleepyhead
Mask Primer

It is what it is. But, it will be what you make it.
Pat Summitt
Post Reply Post Reply
Often when sleeping on left side I get that awful silent reflux - at least that's what the doc calls it.  Heavens, does it burn.

When it's a bit cold I pull the blankets right over my head, nice having my own airhose!  Doesn't bother OH & my nose stays warm & stops my upper jaw & teeth aching with the cold.  Heated hose helps too but covering my head is best.
Amethyst in Oz
Post Reply Post Reply
There is another theory that sleeping on the left side puts more weight on the heart, given the heart is on the left of the chest. Horses for courses
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-13-2018, 11:33 PM)mrsmagoo Wrote: There is another theory that sleeping on the left side puts more weight on the heart, given the heart is on the left of the chest.  Horses for courses

The heart is closer to centre than left, additional weight on it would be negligible.
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
I had read that it's better on the heart for us to sleep on our left.

But then I recently read here on ApneaBoard that it can help prevent aerophagia if we sleep on our right side.

So maybe it's best if I just toss and turn.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sleeping with Half a Brain icyura10 1 708 06-19-2017, 07:06 AM
Last Post: AlanE
  The bread always falls jam side down. justMongo 20 1,463 02-16-2016, 04:44 PM
Last Post: AlanE
  [How to] Forget about Sleeping, Apnea, Eating, etc PollCat 3 1,837 05-14-2012, 01:25 PM
Last Post: Dreamcatcher