Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleeping position back or side
Sleeping position back or side
Hi 
I need to ask my doctor this .  When they did the sleep study I was told that my sleep  apnea is worse on my back. No apneas on my side. Do when I got my cpap machine I decided to sleep on my left or right side.  I now wonder if I am ok to sleep on my back .Does it matter how I sleep
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleeping position back or side
When you sleep, your throat muscles relax allowing your airway to collapse or become occluded. If you sleep on your back (supine), gravity has a greater effect of collapse. Sleeping on your side still allows your airway to collapse but to a lesser degree. Your CPAP should be set to allow for you to sleep on your back, especially if that was the only position that you experienced apnea.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
make sure you are getting a full auto with SD card, resmed airsense autoset or the dreamstation with full auto. The machine could be adjusted for you to sleep on your back, it's a matter of setting the pressure right. I would suggest you download the manual for your machine and sleepyhead, when you get your machine. From the links at the top of the page and post some charts when back sleeping.
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeping on your side is best..

And preferably your left side if you can as it also helps reduce reflux issues for those who may be prone to it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-19-2017, 09:29 PM)Novello1234 Wrote: Hi 
I need to ask my doctor this .  When they did the sleep study I was told that my sleep  apnea is worse on my back. No apneas on my side. Do when I got my cpap machine I decided to sleep on my left or right side.  I now wonder if I am ok to sleep on my back .Does it matter how I sleep

The whole point of getting a CPAP is to allow you to sleep in whatever position you are most comfortable sleeping in.

In other words, if your CPAP is set up correctly, it should prevent the apneas from occurring even if you happen to sleep on your back.
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2017, 08:43 AM)robysue Wrote:
(06-19-2017, 09:29 PM)Novello1234 Wrote: Hi 

The whole point of getting a CPAP is to allow you to sleep in whatever position you are most comfortable sleeping in.

In other words, if your CPAP is set up correctly, it should prevent the apneas from occurring even if you happen to sleep on your back.
Ok thank you everyone I had my second sleep study last night.  I am new to this .  I had my first one over month ago.  The purpose of the second one was to determine the right pressure . So last night during the sleep study I was told to sleep on my back in order to get an accurate pressure .  

I tried at home not sleeping on my back because that it is the position where I have my apneas  But I never asked anyone   after having my cpap machine if I can sleep on my back . I have the resmed  airsense for her .  The vendor is thevone who set pressure as per doctor prescription.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleeping on your back is probably the most challenging in terms of airway opening size as the Uvula/soft palate tends to collapse together with the tongue. Once the cpap pressure setting can keep the airway open in that position, then the other positions won't matter.
lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 71 4,436 58 minutes ago
Last Post: weuw
  Earplugs for side sleepers? cps22 15 286 1 hour ago
Last Post: stevew168
  CPAP Side Effects Tylermdugan 6 379 8 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 8 890 Yesterday, 05:34 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 155 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 209 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 18 658 03-06-2024, 02:02 PM
Last Post: rltarbu

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.