Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleeping wedge question
Sleeping wedge question
Hello all, I've been using my CPAP for the past 20 days and definitely see an improvement over using the MAD I had tried for past 2 months. Yesterday, based on hearing that sleeping slightly propped up can help further and also helps with acid reflux I purchased a bed wedge at Bedbath and excitedly tried it last night as I had been struggling with one good pillow and one hard pillow beneath but couldn't get quite the comfort level I wanted. I fell asleep without issue and woke up after 6 hours and quickly noticed I had that (wake up exhausted feeling). I looked at the report on my S9 and saw that instead of the AHI of .1-.3 I had been enjoying for the past two weeks, my AHI was 1.5, my leak rate up from 5 to 14 and max pressure at 8 vs the normal average of 5. I've felt really extra bloated and tired since then (now 2pm). Can a wedge be a bad thing especially if I ended up sleeping more on my back? I'm going to try it once more tonight but I was curious what others think or have tried. Is it normal to feel so exhausted going to an AHI of 1.5 after adjusting to .2 normally? I already have a bloating issue and the Cpap seems to have exacerbated the situation. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleeping wedge question
Sleeping on your back can increase apneas, usually OA's. A pillow wedge is OK if you're a back sleeper but really cramps your style if you are a slide sleeper. The side position is often the preferred position to reduce apneas. I have GERD and require an inclined sleeping surface, as well as being a side sleeper. My Gastro man wanted me to have my bed setup where the head was 6" higher than the foot. I tried this and quickly found that I would need some velcro pajamas to stay in the bed. I've since reduced the elevation to 3" on the head without suffering any indignity caused by gravity. The wedge pillow has many good uses. I use mine for watching TV in bed or under my knees if my back is hurting. . . it's kind'a big to use as a doorstop though.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Daso,
It could be that your AHI is up due to sleeping on your back. Or could be just due to trying something different. It might be worth another night to see how you feel. I know myself I have to be elevated because of GERD. I have been fortunate to be able to purchase an adjustable bed, and I realise that not everyone can do that, but it's has made a difference in my sleep quality.

Spearhart,
I got a chuckle out of your "Velcro pajamas". Rolling laugh
OpalRose.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2015, 02:15 PM)Daso Wrote: I looked at the report on my S9 and saw that instead of the AHI of .1-.3 I had been enjoying for the past two weeks, my AHI was 1.5,

Well, your AHI, like mine, is very low. I would not panic over a possibly isolated 1.5 - that is still well below the 5 threshold for concern.

It's almost always a mistake to draw conclusions from a sample of one. Ideally one needs to compute the standard deviation from the mean of your AHI readings over an extended time, and if a single measurement is more than two standard deviations above (or below) the mean that might be a cause for concern, but we really should have a week of elevated numbers to draw a reasonably valid conclusion.

In short, don't panic! Try your pillow a few times and if you are always high using it then perhaps reconsider it's usefulness.

I an NOT a doctor and I don't play one on T.V. either.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2015, 02:32 PM)sgearhart Wrote: Sleeping on your back can increase apneas, usually OA's. A pillow wedge is OK if you're a back sleeper but really cramps your style if you are a slide sleeper. The side position is often the preferred position to reduce apneas. I have GERD and require an inclined sleeping surface, as well as being a side sleeper. My Gastro man wanted me to have my bed setup where the head was 6" higher than the foot. I tried this and quickly found that I would need some velcro pajamas to stay in the bed. I've since reduced the elevation to 3" on the head without suffering any indignity caused by gravity. The wedge pillow has many good uses. I use mine for watching TV in bed or under my knees if my back is hurting. . . it's kind'a big to use as a doorstop though.

I agree, I'm a side sleeper and found it really hard sleeping on my side with the wedge, I thought it was a magic adjustment but might bag on it tonight. This thing is about 6" at the top and it was cool for watching tv, but a bit steep for sleep (no pun intended). I also seem to mainly get apneas on my back.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm going to give the wedge one more night. I totally felt a difference waking up from a regular .3 apneas to 1.5 (maybe it's mental??)
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2015, 03:08 PM)OpalRose Wrote: Daso,
It could be that your AHI is up due to sleeping on your back. Or could be just due to trying something different. It might be worth another night to see how you feel. I know myself I have to be elevated because of GERD. I have been fortunate to be able to purchase an adjustable bed, and I realise that not everyone can do that, but it's has made a difference in my sleep quality.

Spearhart,
I got a chuckle out of your "Velcro pajamas". Rolling laugh
OpalRose.

Definately don't sleep in silk pajamas on silk sheets or your sleeping problem is solved. You will spend all night picking yourself off of the floor.

Eat-popcorn
Cindy lots-o-coffee
Post Reply Post Reply

Definately don't sleep in silk pajamas on silk sheets or your sleeping problem is solved. You will spend all night picking yourself off of the floor.

Eat-popcorn
[/quote]

Haha, I wonder what my numbers would be like sleeping on the floor ;-)
Post Reply Post Reply
One night isn't enough to toss it. However, it could be the simple change in position. As for the leaks, I have found that sleeping inclined causes more leaks since the mask is pulled downward, out of/off of the nose. Put all of that together, and you have a slightly higher but still within safe limits AHI.

As for the bloating, it is odd you have it after sleeping inclined. Usually that helps, not makes it worse.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(02-10-2015, 06:05 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: One night isn't enough to toss it. However, it could be the simple change in position. As for the leaks, I have found that sleeping inclined causes more leaks since the mask is pulled downward, out of/off of the nose. Put all of that together, and you have a slightly higher but still within safe limits AHI.

As for the bloating, it is odd you have it after sleeping inclined. Usually that helps, not makes it worse.

I'm giving it another run tonight. Bloating is a constant since I started the clap seriously 20 days ago. I hope it starts to subside. Gas x and charcoal help a little bit, but not enough.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Central Sleeping Apnea treatment ivan007 5 211 03-21-2024, 12:52 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Side sleeping and shoulder pain SCgargoyle 9 981 03-19-2024, 04:51 PM
Last Post: skcampbell2
  Frustrated as unable to get AHI's less than 5 and have difficulty sleeping. . rltarbu 21 813 03-19-2024, 10:25 AM
Last Post: rltarbu
  Fixed Sleeping Position the entire night? Unkikonki 7 203 03-15-2024, 07:57 AM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Still Only Sleeping 4-5 Hours Most Nights AustinSV 5 251 03-12-2024, 08:49 PM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Still Having Trouble with Sleeping CcReesezzzzz01 7 458 02-13-2024, 01:39 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  [CPAP] Not been sleeping well, just installed SD card and oscar, please help SleepyGrumpy 2 228 02-04-2024, 07:36 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.