Sleeping with Half a Brain
icyura10 Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: RESMED AirCurve 10 VAUTO
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Phillips Respironiscs DreamWear under the nose nasal ma
Humidifier: INCLUDED
CPAP Pressure: IPAP (20); EPAP (12); PS (8)
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in!

Sex: Male
Location: I'm just a Galactic Traveler Traversing the Universe on a Blue Rock!

Animals are not the only creatures who can be literally half asleep. Research shows we experience this, too

By Christof Koch | SA Mind September 2016 Issue

http://www.scientificamerican.com/articl...f-a-brain/

“The repose of the night does not belong to us. It is not the possession of our being. Sleep opens within us an inn for phantoms. In the morning we must sweep out the shadows.”

—Gaston Bachelard, French philosopher, 1960

Flies, birds, mice, dogs, monkeys and people all need to sleep. That is, they show daily periods of relative immobility and lack of response to external stimuli, such as light, sound or touch. This reduced sensitivity to external events distinguishes sleep from quiet resting, whereas the capacity to awaken from slumber distinguishes sleep from coma. Why sleep should be such a prominent feature of daily life across the animal kingdom, despite the fact that it leaves the sleeper unable to confront potential threats, remains mysterious.

Still, much progress in characterizing the physiology and capabilities of the sleeping brain has occurred over the past century, driven by the ability to record electrical activity of the brain (via electroencephalography, or EEG, on the surface of the skull), of the eyes (via electrooculography, or EOG), and of facial or other muscles (via electromyography, or EMG). For scientists, it is this triad of simultaneous measurements that operationally defines the state of sleep, leading to both surprising and counterintuitive insights.

Even without these tools, there are some basic things we do know about sleep. It is essential for our brain to function properly. Most of us have pulled all-nighters or have wanted to sleep but could not, unable to switch off our mind. The next day we are irritable, have trouble keeping our eyes open, and are terrible at tasks that demand sustained attention. Indeed, sleep deprivation causes many traffic accidents—the reason countries have laws that mandate a minimum rest period and maximum working hours for truck drivers.

Please; Don't Shoot Me, I'm Only The Piano Player! Thanks

Warning: Eating chocolate may cause your clothes to shrink!
[Image: ry6XtE9.gif] <---- That's ME!
09-02-2016 10:51 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  New Players in the Obesity Puzzle: The Brain’s Glial Cells icyura10 0 152 08-19-2016 05:32 PM
Last Post: icyura10
  [How to] Forget about Sleeping, Apnea, Eating, etc PollCat 3 1,628 05-14-2012 01:25 PM
Last Post: Dreamcatcher
Sad Engage Brain Before Engaging Computer (Disaster) Dreamcatcher 4 1,895 04-04-2012 02:59 AM
Last Post: Dreamcatcher