Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleepless in Seattle
RE: Sleepless in Seattle
(05-31-2017, 04:55 PM)TASmart Wrote: I have found that the type of mask also has a lot of effect on nasal swelling. RIght now, I seem to do best with a Eson 2 small, or medium, and with a Airfit P10 small. The P10 medium was a total disaster. KI also have to use a chinstrap to reduce mouth breathing and nasal strips to open my nasal passages.

Sleep hours may come along as you gain comfort and belief in xPAP beng healthy and good, but some minds are more stubborn than others.

Thank you for the advice. The one thing that has helped my sinuses so far is the increase in min pressure. I hope this trend continues.

Is there a way to tell from my Sleepyhead data if I'm having leaks associated with mouth breathing?

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply
It seems that you are sleeping on your back.  Because of that, I'd recommend upping your lower pressure up to 9.0cm and increase your maximum to 12cm for additional allowances.  It won't use the top pressure unless it needs it.  Your flow limit looks a little high and may respond favorably to using the Flex mode to reduce pressure during exhale.  Since I'm a Resmed user, I will need a P-R user to advise on this idea as well as, which Flex mode.

Good luck!
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I went and got my nose opened up. It has made a huge improvement and was a lot less trouble than I was told it would be. I should not have put it off for so long.

Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
I agree with Crimson Nape on the pressure adjustments.  Your Flow Limitation is a little high.

As far as the Flex settings go, this is something you just have to try, which I think you said you did and settled on Flex 1.  

I had the same problems with Flex as it is flow based and doesn't give you true pressure relief like a ResMed machine.
The most you can get is 2cm drop in pressure no matter which setting you use, so go by how you feel with it.

Here is a brief description on how Flex works, which I think is a bit confusing, but may help.

You can receive up to 2cm pressure relief, but is flow based.
• C-Flex – Provides pressure relief upon exhalation.
• A-Flex/C-Flex+ – Provides pressure relief taking place at the end of inhalation and at the start of exhalation.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
OpalRose,

Thanks for the explanation! That makes sense as it felt like someone was messing with my breathing near the top of my breath. I'm guessing Aflex1 just backs that algorithm off a bit. What exactly is a flow restriction? How can people tell I'm sleeping on my back.

I'll wait for a bit more feedback before deciding on my next changes.

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply
From the Wiki

'''Airflow Limitation (Flow Limitation)''' - Partial closure of the upper airway with reduced airflow. ...low Limitation''' - Partial closure of the upper airway, which impedes the flow of air into the lungs.

Which is why the recommendation for a higher pressure.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-04-2017, 02:58 PM)OpalRose Wrote: From the Wiki

'''Airflow Limitation (Flow Limitation)''' - Partial closure of the upper airway with reduced airflow. ...low Limitation''' - Partial closure of the upper airway, which impedes the flow of air into the lungs.

Which is why the recommendation for a higher pressure.

Ah Wiki....who knew! I'm going to bump my pressures up one notch to 8-11 and leave the Aflex set at 1 as that seemed to work. I'll report back when I have more data. 

Thanks again to everyone for all the help.

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you for asking questions. Reading the answers brings out a bunch of good information.

Post Reply Post Reply
@Guppy - the post you showed really looked good to me, especially that the Aflex is put to 1.  I anticipate that some of your H scores are because of feedback from the extra flex in the breath (in other words, not due to obstructions).  While I would have stayed at the 7 to 10, (because you didn't ever hit 10, and all your OAs are suppressed) you will still be ok at the 8 to 11.  But, please do yourself a favor, and stay at the setting for a while.  Especially, if you now can sleep comfortably.  Gotta get that rest, eh?

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-05-2017, 12:49 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: @Guppy - the post you showed really looked good to me, especially that the Aflex is put to 1.  I anticipate that some of your H scores are because of feedback from the extra flex in the breath (in other words, not due to obstructions).  While I would have stayed at the 7 to 10, (because you didn't ever hit 10, and all your OAs are suppressed) you will still be ok at the 8 to 11.  But, please do yourself a favor, and stay at the setting for a while.  Especially, if you now can sleep comfortably.  Gotta get that rest, eh?

QAL

Thanks QAL,

I went with 8-10 Aflex1 last night for that exact reason. Having only hit 9.5 I felt let's only change one thing at a time. The 8 min felt good as far as air flow as I had some issue with air starvation bellow 7. I'll post my SleapHead for last night later as I'm not in front of my computer at the moment but short version AHI slightly less at 3. I felt worse this morning and am still not falling asleep with regularity or sleeping long enough. I'm going to stay with 8-10 Aflex1 for the next week to really get a base line. 

Thanks again.

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  screaming meme.....sleepless in Yuma Keithp1960 15 1,779 06-21-2020, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Sleepless Night Motomom 3 1,189 09-21-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Motomom
  Good Seattle/Puget Sound DME Providers Mountain Head 7 1,624 07-31-2018, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Mountain Head
  [Equipment] Best DME Provider In Seattle jdana24 14 3,453 05-31-2017, 10:56 PM
Last Post: Ephraimh
  Did you watch? Sleepless in America DonC 12 3,967 11-22-2015, 03:59 PM
Last Post: jolycu
  Sleepless in America TyroneShoes 8 3,359 12-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Last Post: TyroneShoes
  [News] “Sleepless in America” - National Geographic Special ApneaNews 1 3,424 11-20-2014, 05:06 PM
Last Post: surferdude2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.