Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleepless in Seattle
RE: Sleepless in Seattle
I would roll with the current settings for at least 3 more nights, and see how it turns out.  It was quite interesting that the CA events reduced as changes usually result in slight increase for a couple days.

Can you also re-post Jul 10 and Jul 9 with these new screen settings?

I noticed that RERA is much higher with adjustment to CFlex = 3, and would be interesting to see if these subside.  These are real arousals that are due to respiration efforts.  It is no wonder that night felt like a beating.

QAL
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
I'll get those other dates up with the new Y axis. Just thought of one other thing! I turned the humidifier of last night in the provider screen. I left the humidifier tank attached but it was empty and dry. Could this have effected the machine functionality? I remember reading something that if you choose not to humidify that you should detach the unit and use the direct plug into the DreamStation primary unit.

Not sure if this might have an effect but it sure is interesting how high my AHI spiked and like you noticed not many CA events at all mostly other events.

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello all,

Fast update. My AHI had been stable under 1 for several weeks and I was feeling good each morning. The last week or ten days it has gone up to around two and I feel less rested. No changes to any settings, gear or environment. I'm also having RERA and flow limits so the RDI is even higher. My doctor feels a fixed pressure is what I need and I'm thinking of giving this a try.

Should I stay in Auto and just set min max the same or go to CPAP mode. If I switch modes what effect will CFlex+ have? Is it similar to Aflex? I tried Cflex one night and actually like the feel better but my AHI was way higher almost 4 compaired to less than one at the time.

Any suggestions would be great. I'm getting there with some ups and downs.

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello all,

Here is an update. As some may have read from other threads I have been adjusting my pressures in search of a better night sleep. I had been on a fixed setting of 9 with Aflex 1 but have changed to 8.5 fixed with no flex of any kind.  These screen shots are of a typical night with both of these setups. Not a bad AHI but I never really feel rested.

These are for the 9 fixed with Aflex 1.

Full night.

https://i.imgur.com/CzegwRV.png

Up close of events. 

https://i.imgur.com/tGYuozX.png

Normal breathing.

https://i.imgur.com/e6Kr973.png

These are for 8.5 fixed no flex.

Full night.

https://i.imgur.com/sL3UFsP.png

Up close events.

https://i.imgur.com/2dcUobO.png

Normal breathing.

https://i.imgur.com/vuYMWf9.png

I had better AHI consistency with 9 fixed and Flex1 than with 8.5 fixed no flex. I have had a few nights with 8.5 no flex that were miraculous night sleeps which never occurred at the former settings. I have issues with Aerophagia which have been helped with the lower pressure and I think turning flex off. I have tried fixed no flex at 9 but blow up like a balloon. I have been playing with a sleep tracker and have found that my amount of time in REM and deep sleep have been trending upward with the lower pressure and no flex but at this point these findings are far from scientific.

Can anyone find anything interesting with my screen shots that might provide a clew as to which way I might go? Any help is always most appreciated.

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply
To tell you the truth I don't see anything wrong with your charts or numbers.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Walla Walla,

Thanks for the input. I know I'm close and might actually be near my best but still appreciate a second set of eyes.

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply

I've been experimenting with BIPAP in an attempt to help with Aerophagia. I initially set the Resmed S10 Vauto to about the same settings as I was using on the DreamStation.

9.5 fixed Aflex 1

This provided an IPAP of 9.5 and a sort of EPAP of 8.0 for me with my breathing pattern.

on the Resmed I set:

IPAP 9.6
EPAP 8.0

Trigger: High
Cycle:    Low
TiMax:   2.3
TiMin:      .3
EasyBreath: On

These were after experimenting for comfort. There is nothing scientific about my choice.

Great results numbers wise with zero AHI where the DreamStation was consistently 1.75 no difference with Aerophagia and still flat inhale tops on the flow wave chart. Last night I started to bump things around and raise IPAP to 10.0 everything else the same. Good news no increase in Aerophagia and still low AHI of Around .7 A few CA but they were also just after a series of large breaths so may have been after a momentary awakening.

Strange news, in the attached screen shot which is zoomed in I have picked up a small bump right at the zero line at the end of exhalation. I think I can actually feel this when awake but not sure if it correlates. Additionally, with the DreamStation my I:E ratio was inverted (Longer Inhale than Exhale) but with the Resmed it is now correct but seems large. I have read some other threads on here, Thanks Sleepster Walla Walla OpalRose and all the others, talking about some people doing better with the Resmed algo Vs. the DreamStation Aflex and I might be one of those.

Before I make additional changes I wanted to get some feedback on the anomaly if it is one that I have circled in the attachment. Maybe some suggestions and the other settings as well. My plan is to start decreasing EPAP when stable on my current settings to reduce the Aerophagia. Supplier #1 had an interesting article on using this technique recently to help with Aerophagia so I brought it up with my sleep doc. He's on board so I decided to give it a try. I have also felt that I've needed more IPAP but could never do this with the DreamStation.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply
Don't know what the bump is I'm not an expert of the flow charts. . The good news is your respiratory numbers look great and your breathing well.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Agreed.......moving in the right direction.

As always thanks for helping.

GuppyDRV
Post Reply Post Reply
For my aerophagia I tried an incline pillow, or you can just pile up two pillows, or double up one pillow. Enough that your head is somewhat raised. I forget exactly what it does, but that was all I needed to eliminate the horrible cramping. For travel, I just double up on pillows. Hotels seem to love putting out enough pillows for an army anymore, so there is usually an excess of them. It might be all you need for aerophagia.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  screaming meme.....sleepless in Yuma Keithp1960 15 1,781 06-21-2020, 02:37 PM
Last Post: Big Guy
  Sleepless Night Motomom 3 1,189 09-21-2018, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Motomom
  Good Seattle/Puget Sound DME Providers Mountain Head 7 1,624 07-31-2018, 04:40 PM
Last Post: Mountain Head
  [Equipment] Best DME Provider In Seattle jdana24 14 3,458 05-31-2017, 10:56 PM
Last Post: Ephraimh
  Did you watch? Sleepless in America DonC 12 3,973 11-22-2015, 03:59 PM
Last Post: jolycu
  Sleepless in America TyroneShoes 8 3,362 12-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Last Post: TyroneShoes
  [News] “Sleepless in America” - National Geographic Special ApneaNews 1 3,425 11-20-2014, 05:06 PM
Last Post: surferdude2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.