Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Saw my sleep doc today...changes
RE: Saw my sleep doc today...changes
(10-09-2015, 07:19 PM)eseedhouse Wrote: ...This may be true, but a ton poor data is outweighed by a single night of good data. A properly done overnight sleep study is definitive...

Your first statement here may also be true (the second is not). But who is to say whether PSG data is that much better? According to the quotes from researchers who have studied this in earlier posts right here in this thread the big secret is that (Pssst! It's not!)

You also qualified this with "properly done". To me that implies an environment that is conducive rather than upsetting, and a full night's sleep as the basic sample. My study had neither of those, and if you read the posts, most who post here have anecdotally about the same experience.

Even if "properly done", a PSG is NOT definitive, for two reasons I stated earlier:

1. Events are never defined; they are on a sliding scale as to their duration, severity, and even whether they are one type of event or another. There is no black and white, until the events are counted up. Something has to be just over a particular threshold before it is even recognized. There is nothing exactly defined, and both the PSG and the APAP try to pigeonhole what they flag into defined categories for the purpose of simply counting them in those categories, as defined events, which they are not. That is like taking the Mona Lisa and digitizing it at a low, blocky sample rate and depth, and so there is a lot of guesswork where grey is supposedly either black or white, which it isn't. Its grey.

2. No measurement in either the PSG or the APAP back-pressure measurement is direct. No events are measured directly, because there is no way to do that. A belt around your chest that measures how much you expand your chest during a breath does not measure how you breathe, it measures how much you expand your chest, which is indirect, and the determination has to be interpolated from that indirect data. They are educated guesses based on secondary or tertiary data not even directly related to those events. That dithers the accuracy, eliminating the possibility of being "definitive".

And a PSG is a snapshot. One set of data points. A single sample set. The APAP gets a whole new set of data points every night, as conditions change.
Post Reply Post Reply
TyroneShoes: What is PSG stand for? ( I realize it is an in-lab sleep study...)

(10-11-2015, 12:15 AM)zonk Wrote: Let us hope, the pressure increase does the job
Out of interest, is snoring and headache got better with the new machine and new settings, also what is AHI and leak so far?
You'll need to check "Essentials" set to "Plus" in the clinical menu so more info displayed on the screen sleep report and period set to 1 day (for last night data) default set to 1 month. Whenever the machine unplugged period revert back to 1 month

A10 setup and how to get the clinical manual for your CPAP machine
http://www.apneaboard.com/resmed-airsens...setup-info

zonk: snoring stopped when therapy began Sept 11/15.

Still getting headaches but less severe than they used to be prior to therapy, but since getting the Elite machine there has not been any difference in the headaches. I am starting to wonder if there's more to these headaches, or if I just have to be patient. My sleep doc said it could take up to 6 months or more for all the symptoms to be resolved.

On the other hand, last 2 nights I have only awakened 1x each night! First night was at 3am but I got back to sleep fairly quickly. Second night awoke at 5am. So there's a definite improvement.

And I am not waking up in the night feeling like there's not enough air like before my pressure was raised. So another plus.

I am loving having stats to look at in the a.m.!! I think the RT must have set the "essentials" to "plus" because I am getting the following stats:
-usage hours
-events per hour
-mask seal
-humidifier
-period: 1 month
-days used
-days 4 hours +
-average usage
-used hours
-leak
-AHI
-total AI
-central AI

So you ask what is AHI and leak so far?? So since getting 2nd machine (A10 Elite)
Night 1 - AHI: .7 Leak: 10L
Night 2 - AHI: 1.1 Leak: 7L
Night 3 - AHI: .9 Leak: 11L

*** You mention whenever the machine is unplugged it will revert back to 1 month. I am assuming it won't wipe out the data on the SD card though? Cause I am leaving in the a.m. and it will be unplugged tomorrow and 2 or 3 more times before returning home in 5 weeks. My RT knew I was going away and didn't say anything about this.

APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-11-2015, 07:44 AM)cate1898 Wrote: So you ask what is AHI and leak so far?? So since getting 2nd machine (A10 Elite)
Night 1 - AHI: .7 Leak: 10L
Night 2 - AHI: 1.1 Leak: 7L
Night 3 - AHI: .9 Leak: 11L

*** You mention whenever the machine is unplugged it will revert back to 1 month. I am assuming it won't wipe out the data on the SD card though? Cause I am leaving in the a.m. and it will be unplugged tomorrow and 2 or 3 more times before returning home in 5 weeks. My RT knew I was going away and didn't say anything about this.
Very good numbers, the doc would be pleased
Leak number means leak was or below this number for 95% of the night
AHI below 5 and the improvement you're noticing are an indication that the therapy is working,
Leak at or below 24 L/m is to aim for, yours much lower than that ... good job

Unplugging does not wipe anything, the period revert back to 1 month, just change it to 1 day, not big deal
Post Reply Post Reply
Awesome zonk. Thanks for the info!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Post Reply Post Reply
PSG=Polysomnogram
Smile
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks DariaVader!

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Treatment] Request for Sleep Data review compared to Sleep Study thesingingchef 2 113 03-14-2024, 05:14 PM
Last Post: thesingingchef
  adding sleep report (Wondering whether changing sleep position can "cure" apnea) NewlyDiagnosed 1 185 02-26-2024, 10:19 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Smile Alan's New ResMed AirCurve 10 Vauto Came Today! Deborah K. 16 790 02-08-2024, 09:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Inconsistent Sleep Patterns and Confusing Sleep Studies - Please Review mperry99 17 1,315 10-14-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mperry99
  [Diagnosis] Sleep deprivation vs sleep apnea - my therapy thread JRNfromAZ 2 793 08-01-2023, 02:43 PM
Last Post: JRNfromAZ
  Sleep apnea and CPAP use and it’s effect on HRV and Sleep Quaility tinyobject 1 985 01-21-2023, 10:37 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Random nights of short sleep due to several days mounting to too much sleep? CorruptAlligator 2 678 10-19-2022, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Lucid

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.