Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Question about machine I chose.
Question about machine I chose.
I started using my CPAP last week.  Because of insurance issues, I had to pay out of pocket for it. There was no way I could afford the DME my doctor referred me to, so I ended up buying over the internet (from a reputable dealer, they're on the list here) a DeVilbus Intellipap 54 APAP machine.  The salesperson there said it's not usually the one they usually recommend for newbies, but it's perfectly fine.  It was about $400 less than the next least expensive APAP on their website.  So I got the machine and started using it.

Then yesterday, I got the prescription copy the sleep clinic mailed me.  The doctor specifically requested a Respironics 10 with a modem and software.  This really bothers me.  Should the dealer have sold me a totally different brand?  Should I have waited until I could afford it?  Is the therapist at the clinic going to hate having to use this stupid SmartCode?  I don't have a follow-up appointment for five weeks, and by then it will be too late to return the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Question about machine I chose.
Hi dianemarie123 - Welcome

I think you or your doctor is confusing two different manufacturers.  The Respironics is a Phillips-Respironics and would be a Dreamstation. CPAP.  The 10 would be a Resmed Airsense 10 CPAP.

About buying a CPAP;  In your post you stated you purchased it before you had a prescription?  If so, how did you know what type to buy?  How would the salesperson know what brand your doctor was going to specify?

You need to check with your doctor, he/she may be unfamiliar with the brand you bought. as well as, not having or knowing how to use its required software.  Each manufacturer has software that only works on their equipment.

Good luck on your delima.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dianemarie123 and welcome to this great forum!

I would agree with Crimson Nape. You should have been waitting for your doctor's prescription, and then you could go on and buy the necessasy equipment. Meanwhile you could have the chance of testing (at home) perhaps a couple of different CPAPs and masks, see how they work for you, and finally, decide which one is the most appropriate for you. Then, you could discuss it with your doctor and buy the one that's best for your needs.

Now, all you have to do is to correctly configure your CPAP, according to your doctor's prescribed pressures, and then start your therapy. We're all here, waitting for your news!

Keep up the good work!...

Sleep-well

Costas
Post Reply Post Reply
No, I did have a prescription, and they got it from my doctor before they shipped the machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi dianemarie123,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish you good luck with CPAP therapy, hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Was there a question about hackers accessing your CPAP machine. I am experiencing thi DBlake 2 497 12-24-2023, 08:31 AM
Last Post: StratCat48
Exclaimation CPAP Machine Choices - read this before you accept a new machine SuperSleeper 283 262,165 11-10-2023, 10:24 AM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Medicare Question - Replacement Machine srlevine1 7 777 04-22-2023, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Gideon
  machine died! Now new doctor and new machine Bjazzman 17 6,792 09-05-2022, 09:07 PM
Last Post: NValtman11
  [CPAP] Using SoClean Machine with CPAP Machine ronald1810 4 1,320 06-01-2022, 10:18 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Question: New Machine - Registration Process with DME Aldebaran 8 1,184 03-25-2022, 09:10 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  General question for someone just starting on a BIPAP machine 1kworthy 4 857 01-24-2022, 02:51 AM
Last Post: holden4th

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.