Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleepy head
Question 
Is it possible to look at the charts and tell when you are awake and when you are asleep, and what kind of sleep you are in? If so, which charts are best to look at for this purpose?
Post Reply Post Reply
Short answer: No. You need a lot more data than what can be garnered from breathing and flow patterns to determine sleep and which level. With that said; Your breathing patterns are more uniform when you sleep as opposed to while you're awake. That's why you tend to ignore any reported CA's when you are going to sleep and when you are waking up.

I know; Bummer!

Apnea Helpful Tips
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-17-2016, 09:53 AM)I_will_never_sleep_again Wrote: Is it possible to look at the charts and tell when you are awake and when you are asleep, and what kind of sleep you are in? If so, which charts are best to look at for this purpose?

with a little practice, you can get a pretty good idea of when you're awake and when you're asleep by zooming in on the flow chart.

sleep breathing and awake breathing typically look rather different, though it's not 100%, both resmed and fischer & paykel use this in their machines, resmed in the airsense 10 machines to start ramping up pressure once your breathing indicates you're asleep, and F&P to reduce pressure when the machine thinks you're asleep.

here's a very brief example: http://www.osahelp.com/#6
Post Reply Post Reply

Thanks, for responses.
The link is what I was looking for. It explains it in simple terms even I can understand.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] New ResMed F20 head gear issues Tballinusa9 11 900 06-27-2017, 01:39 PM
Last Post: Grmato10
  Typical Night - Sleepy Head Screen BrassCat 16 431 05-29-2017, 12:48 PM
Last Post: bonjour
Gross Sleepy Head from Last Night aeilers 6 190 05-17-2017, 01:41 PM
Last Post: aeilers
  Okay to use old head-gear, pillows, with new machine? Agabaga 4 192 05-01-2017, 06:40 AM
Last Post: Melman
  Still sleepy after 9 months. Could only sleep for 6 hours. susilosaja 16 766 03-30-2017, 05:17 PM
Last Post: sleepy1235
  I guess I'm a hose head now... KCFLY 11 474 03-23-2017, 05:43 PM
Last Post: Marillion
  Icon and Sleepy Head issue remltr 6 588 02-27-2017, 03:01 AM
Last Post: woozie38