Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SleepyHead AHI descriptions
SleepyHead AHI descriptions
General classifications of AHI are 0-4 Normal, 6-14 Mild, 15-30 Moderate and > 30 Severe. On the Welcome Screen SleepyHead will tell me for example that an AHI of 11 is horrible and to see a doctor.

Are these descriptions documented somewhere?

Why are they so bleak compared to the classifications above?

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SleepyHead AHI descriptions
Sleepy sometimes exaggerates, esp on AHI readings, where he is apt to frown upon a mild AHI as if it were a moderate. Sleepy likes to deal in tough love.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-13-2015, 10:44 AM)mmdupas Wrote: General classifications of AHI are 0-4 Normal, 6-14 Mild, 15-30 Moderate and > 30 Severe. On the Welcome Screen SleepyHead will tell me for example that an AHI of 11 is horrible and to see a doctor.

Are these descriptions documented somewhere?

Why are they so bleak compared to the classifications above?

Thanks

Are you giving an AHI of 11 as just an example? If not, then your AHI should be lower with CPAP therapy and the correct pressure settings.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The general classifications you list are most likely untreated apnea. With treated sleep apnea, for example with CPAP, an AHI of 11 is not very good. However, not everyone is the same and 11 is just a number. An 11 for you may not be ideal but an 11 for someone with untreated AHI of 75+ might be good.
Using FlashAir W-03 SD card in machine. You can download your data through wifi with FlashPAP or Sleep Master utilities.

I wanted to learn Binary so I enrolled in Binary 101. I seemed to have missed the first four courses. Big Grinnie

Stick it to the man, Download OSCAR and take back control of your data!

Thanks Ian. Like I didn't have enough Honey-Do projects to tackle. Mornincoffee
Post Reply Post Reply
AlanE is correct.

But I think we don't want to assume that how bad your apnea is untreated may limit how low you can get it in treatment. It is probably easier to get under 5 when untreated is 11 than when untreated is 75, but severe OSA can also be lowered to under 5. For example, I am 58 untreated, but about 1.2 treated.
Post Reply Post Reply
AHI of 11 was a recent day. But my Average AHI for the last year is around 5. I have many days with no or very little OAs but do have CAs. My best days I have very few OAs and CAs and only have some Hypopneas. Those days are around 2. I only occasionally experience a lot of OAs. My OA index for the last year is less than 1. But my CA index is around 1.2 and Hypopnea index almost 3.
Post Reply Post Reply
My ahi was 19 untreated and it was around the same when I was fixed at 8.....and it's about the same on a flex pressure of 8-14. Nothing has changed it. I'm so depressed. I had one day at a 7 and I had one night I checked it at 1:39 am and my ahi was 30. I feel worse with cpap
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Descriptions of variables measured by OSCAR BlueSky1958 1 380 07-24-2023, 10:57 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Philips Respironics DreamStation Modes & Functions Descriptions spacewrench 5 3,215 08-30-2019, 11:52 PM
Last Post: MitchS

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.