Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SleepyHead Data - leaks
SleepyHead Data - leaks
DielaughingThanks for helping in advance!!!

I've been on my CPAP for about two months. I had some early success and have recently been regressing. Hoping to get some advice as I'm going to see the Dr. next week for first follow-up. I'd like to know what questions to ask, etc.

My main question is about leaks - am I a mouth-breather? How can I tell from the sleepyhead data? I've read various forum posts, etc and am having a hard time understanding.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - see attached charts - limited data upload, so images my not be great.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

RE: SleepyHead Data - leaks
Actually your results look good. Your leak rate needs to stay under about 28 on the bottom line, and it's doing that as far as I can tell. Your ahi is good, you're using the machine and all is right with the world. Good job!
Hi bdok74,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more answers to your questions about your graphs and best of luck to you at your Dr. apointment.
trish6hundred
(06-12-2014, 02:13 PM)bdok74 Wrote: I've been on my CPAP for about two months. I had some early success and have recently been regressing.
Why do you think going backwards? nothing in the charts suggest anything wrong, 8 hours is excellent results in my book, how much of it is actually sleep time?

Unlike ResMed machines, your machine report total leak (intentional leak + unintentional leak) your total leak is slightly above the mask intentional leak (mask vents leaks rate)at pressure 8 which translate to hardly any unintentional leak (mask or/and mouth leak) at all
I too have questions on the Sleephead leaks. My leak line I wavy but stays below 30 LPM. My total leak Line looks like a seismograph with spikes into the 70s and periods when it will float in the 50-60 range for an hour.
I would like to better understand what I am seeing, so I can correct any problems. My AHI stays mostly below 2.
Whee does your pressure stay most of the time?

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
(06-12-2014, 09:02 PM)PaytonA Wrote: Whee does your pressure stay most of the time?
Both user profile and attachment .... CPAP pressure: 8 cmH2O
(06-12-2014, 04:05 PM)zonk Wrote:
(06-12-2014, 02:13 PM)bdok74 Wrote: I've been on my CPAP for about two months. I had some early success and have recently been regressing.
Why do you think going backwards? nothing in the charts suggest anything wrong, 8 hours is excellent results in my book, how much of it is actually sleep time?

Unlike ResMed machines, your machine report total leak (intentional leak + unintentional leak) your total leak is slightly above the mask intentional leak (mask vents leaks rate)at pressure 8 which translate to hardly any unintentional leak (mask or/and mouth leak) at all

I think I'm going backwards just based on feeling. The first few weeks (especially the first), I felt great. The past few weeks I've been tired again during the day. Maybe it is just that I was experiencing sleep for the first time in many years and now I'm more used to it.

Anyway, back to the original question...am I a mouth-breather? How can I tell from the sleepyhead data? My wife seems to think I'm mouth breathing at certain times in the night (waking her up). Is there a definitive way to tell from the data? Or other ways to tell?
When in doubt, add a chin strap to your rigging. It's just enough to Pavlov you into keeping the mouth closed.
Or, if you're like me (untrainable,) consider switching to a full face mask.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
(06-13-2014, 07:51 AM)bdok74 Wrote: Anyway, back to the original question...am I a mouth-breather? How can I tell from the sleepyhead data? My wife seems to think I'm mouth breathing at certain times in the night (waking her up). Is there a definitive way to tell from the data? Or other ways to tell?

(06-13-2014, 08:14 AM)justMongo Wrote: When in doubt, add a chin strap to your rigging. It's just enough to Pavlov you into keeping the mouth closed.
Or, if you're like me (untrainable,) consider switching to a full face mask.

"Mouth breathing" when using a nasal mask would result in greater than acceptable leak numbers. You're not doing that, at least not consistently. But if you're concerned that you are, a simple chinstrap as Mongo has suggested can help. You don't want or need it cinched up really tightly, just enough to encourage your jaw to remain forward as you sleep.

I suspect your feeling of "going backwards" is just a normal adjustment to the therapy. When starting the therapy, sometimes people (like you and I) have some initial amazing success because it is so much an improvement over where we were. Then as our cute little bodies start to really get used to it, we think we're going the other way for awhile. I know I thought I'd never quit with the yawning all day long. Although to tell you the truth I kind of liked doing that. But now I don't so much and all is getting better all the time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Evora FFM Phantom Leaks psinderbrand 6 290 03-26-2024, 08:56 AM
Last Post: psinderbrand
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 236 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 2 141 03-19-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Concerned about large leaks sleepingbetterinFl 5 162 03-14-2024, 05:56 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 109 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  Chin cushion for mouth leaks AReedy 9 503 02-25-2024, 09:38 PM
Last Post: AReedy
  Humidifier Chamber Leaks - Resmed 10 Old Mike 20 769 02-23-2024, 10:44 AM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.