Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SleepyHead Data
SleepyHead Data
I am using the Sleepy Head software to review the data from my Phillips Respironics DS650S System One. How does this software information compare with the Respironics factory software information when calculating AHI numbers and more specifically mask leakage information? I am doing a comparison between the medium size Quattro FX and the large size mask. My partner tells me with medium mask it sounds like she's sleeping with a vacuum cleaner in our bed!

Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SleepyHead Data
I don,t use either but Respironics report total leak rates which is intentional leak plus unintentional leak
Unintentional leak = total leak minus intentional leak
Find out the rate of intentional leak of Quattro FX at your pressure and do the sums .
http://www.resmed.com/assets/documents/s...sa_eng.pdf
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/asset....111027.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2012, 08:43 PM)zonk Wrote: I don,t use either but Respironics report total leak rates which is intentional leak plus unintentional leak
Unintentional leak = total leak minus intentional leak
Find out the rate of intentional leak of Quattro FX at your pressure and do the sums .
http://www.resmed.com/assets/documents/s...sa_eng.pdf
http://www.healthcare.philips.com/asset....111027.pdf

I notice that the two PDF files in those links list only the data for masks made by the machine manunfacturer. What if I'm using a ResMed mask with a Respironics machine?

It would be nice if there was some standardized index that all mask makers and machine manufacturers would use. My Respironics machine has X-settings, and the ResMed machines apparently use whole words "Nasal," "Pillow," etc. If I buy a mask it should say "set your machine at (e.g.) "3" for this mask, and then all machines should use the same numbering system. Oh wait ... we can't do that, because then people could figure out what setting to use. Never mind. [cynic.mode.off] Grin
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2012, 11:09 PM)JJJ Wrote: What if I'm using a ResMed mask with a Respironics machine?
For non-Respironics masks the resistance setting is zero but wonder if it makes any difference.
I suppose Respironics wants you to buy their own masks but the resistance setting got nothing to do with leak rate unlike the S9 mask selection which the S9 works out mask leak (unintentional leak) and report 95% percentile leak on the screen and draw the line of acceptable at 24 l/min.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2012, 08:01 PM)312capri Wrote: I am using the Sleepy Head software to review the data from my Phillips Respironics DS650S System One. How does this software information compare with the Respironics factory software information when calculating AHI numbers and more specifically mask leakage information?

Respironics uses a line of software products called Encore. I've tried them and don't like them. I prefer SleepyHead. The AHI calculated by SleepyHead agrees very nicely with the AHI calculated by Respironics. Your machine will show on its screen the 7-day and 30-day AHI averages, and like I said, they agree nicely with SleepyHead's averages. (You do have to wait until afternoon until the previous night's data is used to calculate the averages.)

When it comes to leak rates, SleepyHead is not so good with your BiPAP. It will reliably report only the total leak rate. You then have to look up the intentional leak rate for your mask, at your pressure, and subtract it from the total leak rate, to get the numger you need -- the unintentional leak rate. The problem with the BiPAP is that you are operating it at two different pressures. All this is not as bad as it sounds, though, because leak rates don't need to be determined that precisely. My mask's intentional leak rate at my pressure is about 30 L/min. I therefore try to keep my total leak rate as clse to 30 L/min as I can. If I keep it under 45 L/min I'm happy, as the machine can still deliver effective therapy up to 70 L/min.

Quote:I am doing a comparison between the medium size Quattro FX and the large size mask. My partner tells me with medium mask it sounds like she's sleeping with a vacuum cleaner in our bed!

My wife says it's like sleeping with Darth Vader. But, since I switched to the ComfortLite2 I haven't heard her complain. I've noticed its much quiter, too. A lot of the noise comes from the exhaust port, especially if the jet of air hits the pillow or a blanket. You'll just have to experiment with different masks like you're doing. A lot of it depends on your sleeping position.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-12-2012, 11:09 PM)JJJ Wrote: It would be nice if there was some standardized index that all mask makers and machine manufacturers would use. My Respironics machine has X-settings, and the ResMed machines apparently use whole words "Nasal," "Pillow," etc.

Philips Respironics System One (PRS1) machines have resistance settings of 0. X1, X2, X3, and X4. I think that these have nothing to do with intentional leak rates. When you switch settings I think it adjusts the pressure. When you switch masks, from say a nasal mask to a small pillow, you increase the resistance setting, which I think decreases the pressure. You need a smaller pressure at the machine end of the hose because the pressure at mask end of the hose has been raised by the pressence of the smaller-outlet nasal pillows. The same would be true if you switched from a medium pillow to a small pillow.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
i am using a prs1 machine, using sleepyhead, mask is quatto fx. i am getting a 95% total leaks 36.00. is this high? ahi is 3.86? is this still high, presssure is 12.
thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2013, 09:29 AM)ldameron Wrote: i am using a prs1 machine, using sleepyhead, mask is quatto fx. i am getting a 95% total leaks 36.00. is this high? ahi is 3.86? is this still high, presssure is 12.
thanks
Your AHI is acceptable since it is below 5.0.

The mask you are using is a FFM and most FFM have an expected leak rate of around 35-40 L/min at a pressure of 12 cm. Hence your 95% total leak rate at 36 L/min is quite acceptable. (If you looked at your data in Encore, it is unlikely that you would have any leaks of significant length scored as an official Large Leak.)

With these numbers, the important question is: How do you feel?

Post Reply Post Reply
(10-28-2013, 09:29 AM)ldameron Wrote: i am using a prs1 machine, using sleepyhead, mask is quatto fx. i am getting a 95% total leaks 36.00. is this high? ahi is 3.86? is this still high, presssure is 12.
thanks
Intentional leak (vents leak) for Quattro FX at pressure 12 = 34 L/m
Unintentional leak (mask and mouth leaks) = total leak - intentional leak = 36 - 23 = 2 L/m ... congrats on job well done.

AHI below 5 considered adequate but I would not worry about the number at this stage, getting leak under control is number one priority which already been accomplished.
Next ... how do you feel, for most of us including myself ... feeling better is not instant but gradually over period of time
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Doctor says perfect data, but extremely tired - OSCAR Data Auzzyrocks 13 2,651 12-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Lucid
Question [Pressure] Doctor can't see detailed data - Can my OSCAR data save me from another sleep study? KidCharlamagne 5 896 09-28-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [CPAP] Data showing clear airway apneas: central apnea or soft palate collapse? Data inc. JamesD0079 0 800 03-21-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Dreamstation CPAP vs Aircurve BiPap data? Data over time for Insp/Exp? Desiree 12 2,281 05-20-2020, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  SpO2 vs CPAP data in Sleepyhead Albercook 8 2,389 09-13-2018, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Albercook
  Transferring to new Hard Drive - Sleepyhead data files Mosquitobait 3 1,624 05-27-2018, 09:00 PM
Last Post: sheepless
  Two months of SleepyHead Data FirstNoele 4 1,562 05-16-2018, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.