Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SleepyHead Flow Rate Question
SleepyHead Flow Rate Question
A question for those who know the inner workings of SleepyHead and ResMed data. When you look at the Flow Rate graph in SleepyHead what is the significance of the Plus and Minus direction. If the trace is going positive or going up on the graph is that an inhale or exhale? See the graph example below in the expanded Event view. What I am trying to determine is whether an OA event starts when one cannot inhale or when one cannot exhale.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SleepyHead Flow Rate Question
Anything on the top side of zero line is an inhale. Anything below the zero line is an exhale.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2018, 03:01 PM)Crimson Nape Wrote: Anything on the top side of zero line is an inhale.  Anything below the zero line is an exhale.

That is surprising. I had been doing some google research on the issue of Obstructive Apnea and had concluded it was an inhale problem?
Post Reply Post Reply
Usually it is, but I have seen reports of obstruction on exhale. It could be that EPR at 3 allows the throat to close occasionally as the pressure drops, opening again as you start an inhale and the pressure rises. Or there may be some flap-like thing that gets in the way, but I think that would be very uncommon. Possibly you are sometimes exhaling through your mouth during those times when the flow goes flat. It's hard to inhale three times without an equal amount of air going out somewhere, and the machine can only measure the flow through the hose and mask. All that's off the top of my head, so take it with a grain of salt.
If you see this often, you might try reducing your EPR.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 0 14 42 minutes ago
Last Post: emile.leplattenier
  relationship to flow rate and leaks sleepingbetterinFl 0 20 1 hour ago
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Oscar Charts: Interrupted sleep with high heart rate xaid 0 49 9 hours ago
Last Post: xaid
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 2 52 10 hours ago
Last Post: FriedRice
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 79 Today, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic
  What is that spike in Flow limit? urachan 7 448 03-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: urachan
  Awoken by air flow? ReclaimingMySleep 5 141 03-16-2024, 04:59 PM
Last Post: ReclaimingMySleep

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.