Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Weight loss and CPAP pressure settings
RE: Weight loss and CPAP pressure settings
Weight loss can both lessen the need for pressure or increase the need for pressure. I didn't even need a cpap until I lost 30 pounds. So, if you are getting headaches, try increasing your pressure a notch at a time and see if it improves after 2-3 cm. If not, the problem is elsewhere.
Post Reply Post Reply
The OP states an AHI under 1. Respectfully, I feel an increase in pressure is not warranted.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Likewise!

(06-10-2016, 11:03 AM)justMongo Wrote: The OP states an AHI under 1. Respectfully, I feel an increase in pressure is not warranted.

Post Reply Post Reply
Cate, are you waking up with migraines? I just read "headaches" in your original post.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi cate1898,
CONGRATS on your weight loss.
I hope you find out what is causing your headaches.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-10-2016, 06:47 AM)cate1898 Wrote: I have been trying to find out the cause and when I google it, it has been suggested that a CPAP pressure that is too high can cause a person to awaken with a headache on several websites.

The only way I know of that that could happen is if your central apnea index is elevated. Since your AHI is under 1, that can't be the reason.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
So to answer the questions asked in previous posts;

My BP is within acceptable numbers. I've had hypertension for 16 years and am on 3 different meds for it. But yes, controlled.

The headaches I am awakening with feel sort of sinus-y, they're not migraines, and they usually are resolved by taking a Migraine Excedrine pill, or sometimes I try and let it go away naturally. But alas I am weak and most times resort to taking a headache pill.

My ResMed AirSense 10 Elite has no evaluation mode. It is a straight CPAP with full data capability. It does report CA's and RERA's in addition to the usual stats. I do not generally get any CA's reported, so that is not an issue. Sure wish I had been prescribed an Auto CPAP, but doctors in Ontario (Canada) are under strict guidelines which they must follow and most people do not qualify to get an auto machine up here.

And lastly, yes if I lose another 35-40 lbs I will be within ideal body weight.

I just loaded all my data from my SD card into Sleepyhead which I haven't done in a couple of months. Looks like I'm getting more LL's than I used to. Perhaps it's because I haven't changed the P10 pillows since receiving the mask early January. I have ordered a new pillow and perhaps that will lessen my LL's. Time will tell.

I am envious of all you American's whose insurance gives you replacement pillows every 2 weeks or so. Wow! Hopefully in the future I will change insurance companies to one with a yearly allowance. I currently have less than $60 remaining of my lifetime allowance for CPAP and all related supplies.
APNEABOARD - A great place to be if you're a hosehead!!  Rolleyes  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EVERY ACCOMPLISHMENT BEGINS WITH THE DECISION TO TRY!
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  weight loss meds with cpap ButtonNoseBarbie 3 153 03-25-2024, 11:23 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 9 274 03-21-2024, 01:52 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [Pressure] Understanding Pressure Settings on ASV Suzee 85 3,563 03-19-2024, 03:17 PM
Last Post: Suzee
Question [Treatment] help with oscar and CPAP settings SeanOZ 3 225 03-05-2024, 05:11 AM
Last Post: SeanOZ
  [Pressure] What Cpap pressure should I use? uarspatient2023 1 237 03-02-2024, 12:56 AM
Last Post: Expat31
  [Pressure] Help interpreting low AHI after reducing CPAP pressure? grrrrr 2 277 02-21-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: grrrrr
  [Pressure] unable to find pressure settings on my cpap timoteo666 7 447 02-17-2024, 09:56 PM
Last Post: OpalRose

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.