Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SleepyHead & S9 Auto question
Question 
SleepyHead & S9 Auto question
I'm new to PAP and hoping it's as good to me as it has been to others here! I have a S9 Autoset, which seems like a great machine. I have a couple questions though.

1. When I got the machine the DME guy had it set to CPAP with a pressure of 9. I said what about Auto? He said oh no bla bla bla, telling me some story which I can't remember now about why thats only used if you don't titrate in the sleep lab or some such thing... I didn't believe it then nor do I now. When he got tired of me persisting he said well your prescription is for CPAP not APAP... I was so relieved to get the thing that I said fine and moved on. My question is should I pursue that with my sleep doctor? Do I need a different prescription?

2. SleepHead is awesome so far, very informative though as a newbie I'm having to guess what some of the graphs mean and what acceptable limits are. Is there any other documentation on that kind of stuff? The user manual doesn't explain all of that. I understand it is beyond the scope of the software. Lastly the time on the charts is not right it seems to be offset from local time by 3 hours my timezone is GMT -5 or -4 depending on time of year. I have the right time zone selected in my profile so I'm a little confused...

Thanks I'm learning a lot here!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SleepyHead & S9 Auto question
1 - if your doc said CPAP, why'd they give you an APAP??

2 - no clue on that one. I got a dumb machine.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Sounds to me like the DME got a deal on a quantity order of APAP and they just "lock it down" for CPAP users. You might be surprised what manufacturers do as incentives! I wouldn't sweat it. Of course I would probably take advantage of the situation and "unlock it" so that it is actually an APAP. But that's just me!

I'm probably the only one who has a machine that just may be dumber that Paula's machine! Smile Mine is just old from an era before all this memory card stuff!

Mike
As always, YMMV! You do not have to agree or disagree, I am not a professional so my mental meanderings are simply recollections of things from my own life.

PRS1 - Auto - A-Flex x2 - 12.50 - 20 - Humid x2 - Swift FX
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2012, 06:09 PM)Scott1269 Wrote: My question is should I pursue that with my sleep doctor? Do I need a different prescription?
No just keep the Autoset its awesome machine and consider yourself lucky some people been given Escape or Escape Auto even with auto prescription. Its like having two machines in one. Your DME can not set the S9 any different than what the doctor wrote on the prescription but you can set it in any way you see fit if its going to provide you with better treatment.
Its been reported before the time zone thing with SH not sure if its been fixed and its more to do with day light saving and System One as it don,t have a clock that you can set the time manually like the S9.

Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2012, 06:39 PM)mjbearit Wrote: Of course I would probably take advantage of the situation and "unlock it" so that it is actually an APAP. But that's just me!

I concur, unlock it and use it like it was intended to be used.

I've only had my S9 since February and I'm still learning how to use and interpret the software results, too. None of my previous machines had this capability.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2012, 06:09 PM)Scott1269 Wrote: My question is should I pursue that with my sleep doctor? Do I need a different prescription?

You have to use the machine for a while before that can be determined. If I were you I'd just leave it like it is for awhile and concentrate on getting used to the mask. Meanwhile you can learn the software.

Quote:SleepHead is awesome so far, very informative though as a newbie I'm having to guess what some of the graphs mean and what acceptable limits are. Is there any other documentation on that kind of stuff?

The first thing you want to learn about is the AHI. There's information available all over the web and on this forum. Leak rates are important, too.

Quote:Lastly the time on the charts is not right it seems to be offset from local time by 3 hours my timezone is GMT -5 or -4 depending on time of year. I have the right time zone selected in my profile so I'm a little confused...

Maybe the time is not set correctly on your machine? Try Rescan and see if it shows the right time on its graphs.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The DME legally has to set the machine up to the numbers the doctor prescribed.

You can change it yourself if you know the secret buttons to push, but you may want to use it for a while before tinkering with it.

Setting the machine to "Auto" isn't always the right answer, but your machine will do just fine as a manual CPAP. If you did want to set it to auto, you would probably want to set it to a fairly narrow pressure range and look at the data to determine the correct setting.

Lots of doctors are pretty stupid about CPAP and especially about auto CPAP.
Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-02-2012, 06:09 PM)Scott1269 Wrote: I'm new to PAP and hoping it's as good to me as it has been to others here! I have a S9 Autoset, which seems like a great machine. I have a couple questions though.

1. When I got the machine the DME guy had it set to CPAP with a pressure of 9. I said what about Auto? He said oh no bla bla bla, telling me some story which I can't remember now about why thats only used if you don't titrate in the sleep lab or some such thing... I didn't believe it then nor do I now. When he got tired of me persisting he said well your prescription is for CPAP not APAP... I was so relieved to get the thing that I said fine and moved on. My question is should I pursue that with my sleep doctor? Do I need a different prescription?

Thanks I'm learning a lot here!

When I got my S9 Autoset I was also prescribed a fixed pressure. The DME I selected as a supplier was the one that provided the best (IMO) machine after interviewing all the in-network DMEs in my area. As in your case the DME did not want to change my fixed pressure to APAP and was taken back that I "Knew" how to change it myself. Nonosign

After a couple of months of collecting my sleep data I took it all in with me to my regular visit with my primary MD and showed him all the charts and made my conclusion that I should be able to switch the machine to APAP based on the data. He not only agreed, but told me I was really mastering the subject and that I could make any changes I saw fit in the future without having to consult with him. (Thanks Apnea Board!!)

I am sure that if you master the subject and then show your MD what you want to do that there will be no issue with changing your settings. I simply told the DME about the conversion I had with my MD and there were no issues. He did want to know where to get sleepyhead. Okay
"Goodnight Chesty wherever you are!"
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-03-2012, 01:26 PM)pssnn Wrote: I simply told the DME about the conversion I had with my MD and there were no issues. He did want to know where to get sleepyhead. Okay

That's awesome!

(You should have told him that it's forbidden for DME's to use SleepyHead without paying for it -- it's free for end users only!)
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the answers everyone! I have a follow up at the sleep lab at the end of the month so I guess I'll just see what happens until then. Then I can tell the sleep tech and see if they relay it to the doc... BTW there appears to be an open bug in leery head regarding the the time display on the graphs...

Scott
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Auto BiPAP fixed PS vs Auto PS - pros and cons? Stubert 5 584 01-09-2024, 02:29 AM
Last Post: Stubert
  Dry mouth with Resmed 11 auto, not with S9 auto? pumpkln 3 596 09-13-2023, 12:46 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Breas Z2 Auto Portable Auto-CPAP Machine Package kbingel 9 3,002 08-18-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: Txgeodigger
  [CPAP] Transcend mini auto - Battery Power Question Bilzer 0 721 07-23-2022, 08:07 PM
Last Post: Bilzer
  Question about changing new DreamStation Auto CPAP settings FLsleeper7 7 2,427 06-21-2022, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Question about reading Sleepyhead/Oscar reports TheManseHen 3 1,047 04-28-2022, 12:32 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  Question Regarding Used ResMed Air Sense 10 Auto RWhipkey 7 1,020 03-01-2022, 07:25 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.