Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SH Software/SD Card Specifics
SH Software/SD Card Specifics
Hello,

I would like to know if my SD Card will be safe when using the SleepyHead Software with my MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2011), running macOS High Sierra, Version 10.13.6? I also would like to know whether or not I still need to write protect my SD card, prior to inserting into my SD card slot?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SleepyHead Software/SD Card Specifics
Hello Asolace,

As you have the RESMED S9, I would definitely recommended write-protecting the SD CARD as they can get a bit upset if things change on the card.

MAC would be fine to use, but I'd still write-protect to keep your device happy.

Cheers,
Damian.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Asolace. Welcome to Apnea Board.

Some operating systems (eg Windows 10) put an index file on the card, and the Resmed S9 series had a problem with that. It refuses to read the card and tries to format it, which is NOT what you want. I don't know about Macs, but to be cautious I'd assume that MacOS places the index file as well. So yes, as a matter of principle I'd always write-protect the card.

A further problem is that many usb card readers (even quite expensive ones) lack the sensor to detect if the card is write-protected or not.

It's probably a reasonable idea to try a card and see what happens - but don't do this with your main data card! Use a spare.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mac's do leave hidden file(s) on the SD card.  Most notably Spotlight leaves a hidden . file.
So definitely write protect your SD card before you insert it into your Mac (or card reader).
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks  very much for your help.

Thanks  Very much for your help.

Thanks Very much for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
I do strongly encourage you to use OSCAR as SleepyHead is no longer supported. OSCAR has a major release coming in the next few weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks  Very much for your help.
Post Reply Post Reply
Be careful Asolace.  Some SD card readers don't observe the write protect switch.  It is basically just a request to "please don't write to me".  I have two SD card readers.  One plays nice and won't write to the cards if so "protected", while the other (more expensive) IOGEAR Docking Station does not care.

I have a ResMed 10 series which does not care about the Apple hidden files.  So it doesn't really matter for me.  I don't know if the ResMed 9 series of PAP machines can coexist peacefully with the hidden Apple files.  I have no personal experience with that combination of things.

You can always use the key combination "Shift + Command + Period" to toggle on and off the ability to view hidden files and folders in a Finder window.  Then you can actually see for yourself if you have the hidden Spotlight files on your card.

You may also have a hidden "trash" folder as well on your SD card.  This appears if you delete files and folders from the SD card and don't empty the trash before ejecting the card.  It is my experience that when this sequence of events happens, it results in those deleted files lingering on the card never to be seen or heard of again.  But they gobble up space on the card.  For future reference, you can delete them on other cards (for instance on a card you use in a digital camera) by using the hide/unhide files and folders trick.
RayBee

~ Self-Treatment - via ApneaBoard experts.
~ Self-Pay - no help from Kaiser other than getting my script, then a pat on the butt and out the door.
~ Self-Educated - via ApneaBoard experts, its many users, and posted reference material.
~ Complex Apnea - All Night AHI=34.2/h, Supine AHI=45.5/h
~ Using a 2021 16" MacBook Pro M1 Max, 32 GB, 1 TB, macOS Monterey V12.6.2.
~ Pay no attention to the dog behind the cup, he ain't a docta, and does not give medical advise.
~ Woof, woof.

I-love-Apnea-Board
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote: I don't know if the ResMed 9 series of PAP machines can coexist peacefully with the hidden Apple files.

I know from experience they won't work with a Windows index file, and would assume any foreign file would get the same treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some common hidden files that may be written to your SD card with Mac:

Another possibility would be .DS_Store
They can be safely deleted.  I don't think the 10 series cares about the hidden files, but I always delete them if I forget to write protect the card.

Anything with the . (dot or period) before it is a hidden file/folder
Jeff8356

MacBook Air (2017, Intel) | macOS Monterey (12.7) | OSCAR v1.5.1 | VM = Win10/Win11 |
How to Links:
Installing OSCAR on a Mac
Organizing your OSCAR charts
Attaching screenshots and files for the forum
OSCAR Help
OSCAR - The Guide

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  problem downloading OSCAR SOFTWARE Bailey104 1 88 03-15-2024, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  NOTICE: ResScan 7.1 Software now available [for ResMed machines only] SuperSleeper 0 433 02-26-2024, 10:27 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Software support for the Astral 150? Peashee888 10 621 02-18-2024, 10:34 AM
Last Post: LoudSnorer
  Software/app for Lowenstein Prisma SmartPlus w/o NHS knowing Ploppy 3 1,009 12-21-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Ploppy
  PC Software RchiAiki 13 1,192 12-20-2023, 11:51 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Need urgent Software for Yuwell YH-580 WilliamVasquez 12 4,102 12-19-2023, 01:08 AM
Last Post: VankoGo
  Software to read edf file from in lab study? lisaistired 3 687 12-02-2023, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.