Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Aerophagia, aerophagia ugh
RE: Aerophagia, aerophagia ugh
(08-26-2023, 08:36 PM)zzzdeprived Wrote: From the standpoint of aerophagia, my chin to my chest is a good thing, as it reduces aerophagia down to nothing.

Oh, I see. I had the very same issue. Apparently tucking my chin against my chest closed off my esophagus and prevented air from entering my stomach. But like you say, it's a position that hurts. It was like torture! But I persisted. I never ever slept without the CPAP machine, which is what allowed me to adapt. It took a month or two to gradually overcome the aerophagia, and a few years to gradually overcome the fragmented sleep. But it was worth it for the overwhelming benefits in the quality of my life.

My providers switched me to BiPAP, more properly called bi-level. For example, the machine I have now, the AirCurve 10 is a bi-level machine that also automatically adjusts the pressure (like a APAP).

I understand that you don't like setting EPR above 1. The maximum setting is 3. A bi-level machine will go even higher.

The solution to aerophagia is lower pressure. Set your pressure a bit lower and set EPR to 3. Your AHI may go up, but you will be more comfortable. You have to keep monitoring your data and adjusting the pressure. I know it may feel like you're starved for air, but you aren't. When we're living our lives and are not hooked up to a CPAP machine we have a pressure of zero, and we don't suffocate from a lack of air.

I did this years ago, got it dialed in, and haven't had to change my settings since then. Last night, for example, I had an AHI of 0.8 and got over 9 hours of usage. Most of that time I was asleep. And the aerophagia has been gone for many years now.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks! Your story seems to be the closest to mine that I have seen so far. Hope I can set up the adjustable pressure Bipap sleep study soon!
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-28-2023, 06:27 PM)zzzdeprived Wrote: Thanks! Your story seems to be the closest to mine that I have seen so far. Hope I can set up the adjustable pressure Bipap sleep study soon!

You don't need another sleep study. Just visit your sleep doctor with your aerophagia complaint and ask for a bi-level machine. I would ask for the ResMed AirCurve 10 with a 4G modem.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  help... Suspicous Flow Rate and Flow Limitations, bothersome Aerophagia Barefooter64 15 721 7 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Aerophagia Help - I've tried everything soozgrrl 2 86 04-15-2024, 03:48 PM
Last Post: soozgrrl
Gross Aerophagia Pressure Help! ToddAO 2 132 04-07-2024, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  New to CPAP, awful aerophagia callamar75 24 832 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  4 months in - Do I have to live with aerophagia? RedNailz 18 1,746 03-09-2024, 02:14 PM
Last Post: RedNailz
Sad [Treatment] UARS with Aerophagia and a High Leak Rate, what next? Adam0410 9 459 02-14-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  [Treatment] Aerophagia + Long Sleep Times jambo99 1 248 02-07-2024, 09:56 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.