Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SleepyHead and Linux
SleepyHead and Linux
I'm a total newbie to Linux, but I've managed to set up Lubuntu 14.04 on a Dell Inspiron laptop running a 64-bit AMD processor.

Do you think this file will work for me?

sleepyhead_0.9.2-1_amd64.deb 2012-01-28

I've got an older Series 50 PRS1 BiPAP Pro (Model 650P).

Do I just download the file and double-click on it?

Here's the download page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/sleepyhe...ses/Linux/
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
RE: SleepyHead and Linux
Hopefully others who've used Lubuntu will read this and offer advice...

But until then, Lubuntu is a variant of Ubuntu Linux, which is based on Debian Linux. Install files for debian-based OSs have file endings of .deb, so that particular SleepyHead install file (with the .deb ending) is supposed to be the one for your type of system.

Assuming Lubuntu works similarly to Ubuntu, when you double-click on the downloaded .deb file, your operating system's "package installer" should pop up and offer you installation options. Just follow the prompt to "install package".

That said, I'm running Ubuntu Linux and when I downloaded the .deb file and tried to install it, it said that I have a "dependency error" (specifically it said, "Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: libqtcore4 (>= 4:4.7.0~beta1)") But I'm running an older version of Ubuntu, which may not have the latest and greatest version of libqtcore4 installed. Not sure that version of Lubuntu would have such an issue.

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

I run Ubuntu 14.04 myself. I told Windows to take a hike when Windows 8.0 came out. So glad I did. Anyway -- The file above worked for me. However, 2 things: It runs from Terminal, not by just clicking an icon. And it does not see SD card readers. One has to copy the folder from the SD card to your Home directory on the HDD and then import your data from there into Sleepyhead. Too much work for me, as often as I import data to Sleepyhead, so I installed Wine and then installed the Windows version of SleepyHead instead. It is now a clickable icon on the desktop, and It can read directly from the SD card.

One other item of note for new Ubuntu users: Highly recommend getting Cairo Dock from the Ubuntu Software Center, makes navigating Ubuntu easier.

(04-28-2014, 10:02 PM)sibertiger Wrote: I run Ubuntu 14.04 myself. I told Windows to take a hike when Windows 8.0 came out. So glad I did. Anyway -- The file above worked for me. However, 2 things: It runs from Terminal, not by just clicking an icon.

So you tried to double-click the .deb file? If so, what happened? .deb files are associated with your "package installer" within the GUI and double-clicking on them should start up the Ubuntu 14.04 package installer. You may need to satisfy any dependencies, but it should work from the GUI installer as well as a terminal session also.

Are you saying it won't work at all via the GUI package installer?

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

(04-28-2014, 07:17 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I'm a total newbie to Linux, but I've managed to set up Lubuntu 14.04 on a Dell Inspiron laptop running a 64-bit AMD processor.
Do you think this file will work for me?
sleepyhead_0.9.2-1_amd64.deb 2012-01-28
I've got an older Series 50 PRS1 BiPAP Pro (Model 650P).
Do I just download the file and double-click on it?

It will work fine. If you want the latest version you need to compile it from source, but the package you have will work OK. If you double-click on it you should see the GUI package manager pop up. If it does not, just go to a terminal, change directory (cd command) to the folder where the .deb file is located, and type sudo dpkg -i <packagename>. The "sudo" part means you will be prompted for your root password.

Aside: As a point of interest only to me, I created the package you have. Back in 2012 I was using 64-bit Xubuntu, but there was no 64-bit .deb package on Sourceforge, although there was a 64-bit .rpm package. I downloaded the .rpm package and converted it to a .deb file with the package "alien." After installing it, so as to confirm that the conversion worked, I e-mailed it Mark and he uploaded it to the Sourceforge page.

One problem is that installing it from the package installer will not create a launch menu item. You can launch it from a terminal just by typing "sleepyhead," but an easier solution is to create a launcher. There is a menu editor for your desktop that (if I recall correctly) is called lxmed. If that doesn't work, open synaptic package manager and search for menu editors.

The package you have will work OK but there are a couple of glitches that Mark has fixed. Eventually I decided to compile the latest version from source for my own use. But compiling from the source is not for the faint of heart who are new to Linux.

If you need any further help, holler back.
(04-28-2014, 10:46 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote:
(04-28-2014, 10:02 PM)sibertiger Wrote: I run Ubuntu 14.04 myself. I told Windows to take a hike when Windows 8.0 came out. So glad I did. Anyway -- The file above worked for me. However, 2 things: It runs from Terminal, not by just clicking an icon.

So you tried to double-click the .deb file? If so, what happened? .deb files are associated with your "package installer" within the GUI and double-clicking on them should start up the Ubuntu 14.04 package installer. You may need to satisfy any dependencies, but it should work from the GUI installer as well as a terminal session also.

Are you saying it won't work at all via the GUI package installer?

It installs via the Ubuntu Software Center without issue, by just double clicking it.

Once installed, in order to run it, you must open Terminal, and type SleepyHead then press enter. (must capitalize the S and the H) There is no icon to click, unless you create one, like JJJ said.

I've downloaded the file sleepyhead_0.9.2-1_amd64.deb and am using Package Installer. It reports that it requires the installation of two packages.

libqt4-opengl
libqtwebkit4

I click install. After a bit it tells me that it's failed to completely install all dependencies, and that to fix the problem I need to run 'sudo apt-get install-f' in a terminal window.

I do that, then the terminal reports: Invalid operation install-f

Help!
Sleepster

(04-29-2014, 09:20 PM)Sleepster Wrote: I've downloaded the file sleepyhead_0.9.2-1_amd64.deb and am using Package Installer. It reports that it requires the installation of two packages.
libqt4-opengl
libqtwebkit4
I click install. After a bit it tells me that it's failed to completely install all dependencies, and that to fix the problem I need to run 'sudo apt-get install-f' in a terminal window.
I do that, then the terminal reports: Invalid operation install-f

I think you needed a space between "install" and the -f option. The -f option means "fix broken dependencies."

If I was in your position I would just fire up Synaptic package manager. It's much more fully featured than the Ubuntu package installer. With Synaptic you can search through the 40,000+ packages in the Ubuntu repositories to find the package you need. I would search on libqt4-opengl and libqtwebkit4 and install them separately with Synaptic.

Having said that, it is entirely possible that these packages are not in the repositories, although they are available to me when I use Synaptic (I just checked, and they are both installed, too). If you can't find them, post back and we'll figure out how to get them installed.
That worked! Awesome. Now I can't get it to run. In a terminal I type "sleepyhead" without the quotes and it reports command not found. I'm asuming the installation went ok this time as I didn't get any error messages.
Sleepster

(04-29-2014, 11:37 PM)Sleepster Wrote: That worked! Awesome. Now I can't get it to run. In a terminal I type "sleepyhead" without the quotes and it reports command not found. I'm asuming the installation went ok this time as I didn't get any error messages.

You must type:

SleepyHead

Typing

sleepyhead

will not work. Capitalize the S and H.

Don't forget though, this version won't see your card reader. You'll need to copy the folder from SD card to HDD. I still recommend installing Wine, and then installing the windows version instead.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a solution to read out the newer versions of the Contect CMS50F under Linux? Mast04 10 807 03-25-2024, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Pierelly
  OSCAR v1.5.2 - Linux Versions Crimson Nape 3 125 03-17-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  What version of Linux for my Chromebook? bluetangle127 1 432 10-26-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  F12/Take Screenshot Not Saving Screenshot under Linux? DigitalMan43 4 668 09-30-2023, 05:04 PM
Last Post: DigitalMan43
  o2 insight pro on linux Jim Vader 10 1,390 08-16-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: data01
  OSCAR for Ubuntu Linux "blocked and dangerous" edgreenberg 3 738 07-17-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: edgreenberg
  Feature Request - OSCAR Linux rammjet 3 627 07-09-2023, 09:04 PM
Last Post: rammjet

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.