Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SleepyHead and Linux
RE: SleepyHead and Linux
Which version won't? Mine reads my SD card just fine, but I did build it from source.

Compiling from source could be very educational Wink Or frustrating...
(04-29-2014, 11:50 PM)sibertiger Wrote: Don't forget though, this version won't see your card reader. You'll need to copy the folder from SD card to HDD. I still recommend installing Wine, and then installing the windows version instead.

I used that version on Xubuntu for a year and a half, and it never had a problem grabbing the data directly from the SD card.
(04-29-2014, 11:50 PM)sibertiger Wrote: Don't forget though, this version won't see your card reader. You'll need to copy the folder from SD card to HDD. I still recommend installing Wine, and then installing the windows version instead.

(04-29-2014, 11:57 PM)eviltim Wrote: Which version won't? Mine reads my SD card just fine, but I did build it from source.

Compiling from source could be very educational Wink Or frustrating...

Could be that you compiled your own, some day I'll learn how to do that. I tried using that same file that is mentioned, and it did not see my SD reader

(04-30-2014, 12:26 AM)JJJ Wrote: I used that version on Xubuntu for a year and a half, and it never had a problem grabbing the data directly from the SD card.

Interesting... well perhaps its my hardware. I'm running on a Toshiba C55-A laptop. and for some reason that particular build, 0.9.2-1, does not see my SD reader. Was the same in Ubuntu 13.10, and now in Ubuntu 14.04. I know my hardware is working though, cause it works fine with the Windows version 0.9.3-0 that runs through Wine. For me, that Deb version only sees my hard drive. Guess YMMV.
SleepyHead instead of sleepyhead. That did the trick!

I also was able to download directly from SD card.

Now let's see if I can get it to launch from the GUI instead of the terminal.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(04-28-2014, 10:58 PM)JJJ Wrote: One problem is that installing it from the package installer will not create a launch menu item. You can launch it from a terminal just by typing "sleepyhead," but an easier solution is to create a launcher. There is a menu editor for your desktop that (if I recall correctly) is called lxmed. If that doesn't work, open synaptic package manager and search for menu editors.

When I look in the "start menu" I don't see lxmed listed as an Accessory or a System Tool. I did a search for menu editors in the Synaptic Package Manager. I saw a bunch of stuff listed there, like some text editors, but nothing that said it was a menu editor.

A search for lxmed in the Synaptic Package Manager gets nothing.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
JJJ, would he have to add the correct repository to get to the appropriate package in Synaptic? Maybe that particular repository is not active in his Synaptic settings. If so, perhaps it can be added by opening up Synaptic, then going to Settings, then Repositories, then selecting whatever repository has that lxmed in it.

EDIT: here's the sourceforge download site for lxmed:

http://lxmed.sourceforge.net/download.html

Installation instructions here:

http://lxmed.sourceforge.net/help.html#install
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

(04-30-2014, 05:04 PM)Sleepster Wrote: When I look in the "start menu" I don't see lxmed listed as an Accessory or a System Tool. I did a search for menu editors in the Synaptic Package Manager. I saw a bunch of stuff listed there, like some text editors, but nothing that said it was a menu editor.
A search for lxmed in the Synaptic Package Manager gets nothing.

The most commonly used menu editor is Alacarte. It is what Xfce and Gnome desktops use, and probably others as well. Alacarte has been around since forever. I have lxmed installed, but you're right, it's not in Synaptic. Wonder where I got it. There is a new one that I have also installed called Menulibre. I haven't used Menulibre more than just to look at it.
(04-30-2014, 06:55 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: JJJ, would he have to add the correct repository to get to the appropriate package in Synaptic? Maybe that particular repository is not active in his Synaptic settings. If so, perhaps it can be added by opening up Synaptic, then going to Settings, then Repositories, then selecting whatever repository has that lxmed in it.
EDIT: here's the sourceforge download site for lxmed:
http://lxmed.sourceforge.net/download.html
Installation instructions here:
http://lxmed.sourceforge.net/help.html#install

Ah, that's probably where I got lxmed from.

I notice the file is a tar.gz file. I might suggest that you create a folder in your home folder called Software and untar the package into it. I always keep oddball software that is not from Synaptic in my Software folder. To untar it just double-click on it, which should launch file-roller (Archive manager).
(04-30-2014, 09:48 AM)sibertiger Wrote: Interesting... well perhaps its my hardware. I'm running on a Toshiba C55-A laptop. and for some reason that particular build, 0.9.2-1, does not see my SD reader. Was the same in Ubuntu 13.10, and now in Ubuntu 14.04. I know my hardware is working though, cause it works fine with the Windows version 0.9.3-0 that runs through Wine. For me, that Deb version only sees my hard drive. Guess YMMV.

I'd almost certainly blame it on that. I just have a USB card reader in my desktop and it works fine.
Wow you guys are making my brain hurt just reading this. lol I'm an electronics tech but not a big cpu programmer and that sounds like a ton of fun. I'm sure once you work with it for a while you get used to it but from here it seems greek. Have fun with it.
Doc J

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a solution to read out the newer versions of the Contect CMS50F under Linux? Mast04 10 809 03-25-2024, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Pierelly
  OSCAR v1.5.2 - Linux Versions Crimson Nape 3 129 03-17-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  What version of Linux for my Chromebook? bluetangle127 1 433 10-26-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  F12/Take Screenshot Not Saving Screenshot under Linux? DigitalMan43 4 668 09-30-2023, 05:04 PM
Last Post: DigitalMan43
  o2 insight pro on linux Jim Vader 10 1,391 08-16-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: data01
  OSCAR for Ubuntu Linux "blocked and dangerous" edgreenberg 3 738 07-17-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: edgreenberg
  Feature Request - OSCAR Linux rammjet 3 627 07-09-2023, 09:04 PM
Last Post: rammjet

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.