Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SleepyHead and Linux
RE: SleepyHead and Linux
I ended up using Menu Editor (MenuLibre). Confusing, but I managed to create a shortcut on the desktop.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(04-30-2014, 10:26 PM)Doc J Wrote: Wow you guys are making my brain hurt just reading this. lol I'm an electronics tech but not a big cpu programmer and that sounds like a ton of fun.

Linux is something I played with once in the past, but not in any serious way. Now I'm finally getting my geek on with it.

And yes, using Linux is all about getting your geek on. I don't know much about it yet but I'm learning. One thing's for sure, a lot of others have gotten their geek on, too. It's a vast collection of software spread all over the web.

What finally pushed me over the edge was a combination of factors. First, that old laptop caught yet another stubborn virus. It was running on an install of Win XP from maybe four years ago, and it had gotten really slow before it crashed. So slow in fact that I didn't use it much at all. Second, XP has now expired so I wasn't about to do another fresh install of it. Third, I can't install Win 7 for free like I could with XP. And fourth, a fresh install of Win 7 on that old laptop would have made for a really slow computer.

Running Lubuntu it's much faster than it ever was with XP.

I'm happy. Smile
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(04-30-2014, 11:16 PM)Sleepster Wrote: Linux is something I played with once in the past, but not in any serious way. Now I'm finally getting my geek on with it.
I'm happy. Smile

Welcome to the open source world. Since you're just starting, I suggest checking out Ubuntu forums (thousands and thousands of participants) and also check to see if there is a local user group in Houston. I would say more, but I am already getting off topic. And I am always happy to try to answer questions via private message here. Smile
I needed help, and got it from Ubuntu Forums, just to get it up and running and connected to the web.
Sleepster

They need to update the Deb installer because it fails at the fetch command that is trying to get a dependancy from an IP that does not exist anymore. (I just tried to install sleepyhead on Ubuntu after reading this thread as I was curious). So that would give you a variety of errors depending on what Linux flavour you have installed.

Probably good idea to let JediMark know by email he has on sourceforge, he'll probably get around to fixing it.
(05-01-2014, 07:57 PM)SnuffySleeper Wrote: They need to update the Deb installer because it fails at the fetch command that is trying to get a dependancy from an IP that does not exist anymore. (I just tried to install sleepyhead on Ubuntu after reading this thread as I was curious). So that would give you a variety of errors depending on what Linux flavour you have installed.
Probably good idea to let JediMark know by email he has on sourceforge, he'll probably get around to fixing it.

Since I made that .deb package by converting a 64-bit .rpm package, the original .rpm package is probably equally out of date.

At one time Paptillian, a user here, worked on trying get people to install Ubuntu in Virtualbox on a Windows host, and then build SleepyHead from source. His basic instructions for building the latest version on Linux from code is:

sudo apt-get install git
(This will prompt you for your password.)

git clone git://git.code.sf.net/p/sleepyhead/code sleepyhead-code

sudo apt-get install qt4-dev-tools libqt4-opengl-dev libqtwebkit-dev zlib1g-dev

cd sleepyhead-code

qmake

ls -l SleepyHead

After the last command above the SleepyHead executable should appear in green. Using a file browser you can launch it by double-clicking on the executable, or by making a launch menu item that points at the executable.

Note that copy and paste into a terminal on Linux requires Ctrl-SHIFT-v.
(05-01-2014, 07:57 PM)SnuffySleeper Wrote: Probably good idea to let JediMark know by email he has on sourceforge, he'll probably get around to fixing it.

Not likely. He's not actively worked on the project for quite some time.

I think he encountered some problems in his life and was unable to continue. Once I heard a rumor that he was back, and I don't know if that was at all true. If it was, it was temporary.

It's a shame. At least I can say I did my share by making a donation.
Sleepster

Oh, because the program is still actively updated on Sourceforge. In fact Mark Williams (isn't that jedimark?) is actively prioritizing bug reports and closing them just recently, so it's still being updated and checked regularly.

http://sourceforge.net/p/sleepyhead/bugs/

(05-01-2014, 11:42 PM)SnuffySleeper Wrote: In fact Mark Williams (isn't that jedimark?) is actively prioritizing bug reports and closing them just recently, so it's still being updated and checked regularly.

jedimark is Mark Watkins from Australia.

Here's his Apnea Board profile with a picture of him:

http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/User-jedimark
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

(05-01-2014, 11:42 PM)SnuffySleeper Wrote: Oh, because the program is still actively updated on Sourceforge.

I believe the Windows version was updated to accommodate the newer Series 60 PRS1 machines. First with a patch, then with a newer version. I know that collaborators were involved in that project, and like I said I heard that Mark was back for awhile there, but I don't know the details.

Does anyone know if fixes other than the Series 60 update have occurred?
Sleepster

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is there a solution to read out the newer versions of the Contect CMS50F under Linux? Mast04 10 807 03-25-2024, 08:46 PM
Last Post: Pierelly
  OSCAR v1.5.2 - Linux Versions Crimson Nape 3 125 03-17-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  What version of Linux for my Chromebook? bluetangle127 1 432 10-26-2023, 10:54 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  F12/Take Screenshot Not Saving Screenshot under Linux? DigitalMan43 4 668 09-30-2023, 05:04 PM
Last Post: DigitalMan43
  o2 insight pro on linux Jim Vader 10 1,390 08-16-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: data01
  OSCAR for Ubuntu Linux "blocked and dangerous" edgreenberg 3 738 07-17-2023, 06:27 AM
Last Post: edgreenberg
  Feature Request - OSCAR Linux rammjet 3 627 07-09-2023, 09:04 PM
Last Post: rammjet

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.