Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SleepyHead data and Mask leak questions
SleepyHead data and Mask leak questions
I was making some real headway these last few weeks from the help of this forum.  Now I'm regressing...I think?

I made several sleep apnea changes and was actually feeling really good during the day.  I just can't seem to get the mask leaks under control lately.

I've made several changes in the setting through advice here.  I use a soft neck collar, purchased a buckwheat pillow (love it) and use a mouth guard.  I don't really want to use the mouth guard but I was getting such good Sleepyhead readings... I have just kept with it.  The last two nights the mask leaks are out of control.  I just don't understand how I get these leaks when I'm not doing anything different?  I've been using a SleepWeaver full face mask.  I can't purchase another replacement mask until the end of April.  I'm highly allergic to the mask seals around my face and bridge of nose.  The SleepWeaver was working pretty good for me until lately?  I guess I'll have to try another full faced mask.  Any full faced mask recommendations for people with very sensitive skin?  The Quattro Mirage is out as it did not work for me due to leaks.  Maybe another mask you could recommend?

This is very discouraging for me.  I put some SleepyHead Data below in hopes of somebody offering some advice.  I think my problem is that just before I fall asleep my jaw loosens and my mouth fills up with a small amount of air thus causing the mask to leak.  I'm half asleep when this happens and just continue sleeping through this but obviously not receiving the full benefit of the cpap therapy.  The soft collar has really helped but my jaw drops very very slightly enough to cause mask leaks.  I know I've been fiddling with the mask all night half asleep but can't keep it sealed.  I've been working at keeping my tongue pushed up to the roof of my mouth but as soon as I fall asleep my mouth fills up with air.  Is it alright to have a small amount of air in your mouth ]and cheeks as you breath mostly through your nose while using the cpap?  This seems to be the common way for me to sleep while breathing with my nose and mouth.  SSHHHEESSSHHH!!!  

Thank you for your help.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: SleepyHead data and Mask leak questions
Leaks are inevitable from time to time. Finding the right mask is the key to keeping leaks well managed and the goal is absolute prevention of leaks. Sometimes it takes several attempts to get the right mask and/or combination of other items like neck collars and chin straps and mouth guards. So you know that the pillow is comfortable and you like it. The mouth guard is reasonable. You are limited on mask selection because of allergies.
Have you tried using a chin strap yet? Also, talk to your DME about using some of their demo masks if available. They may let you take a mask home to try before you buy. It doesn't hurt to ask.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New - so many questions Matsu1 7 381 Yesterday, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Matsu1
  EPR questions juniper 5 199 04-16-2024, 11:13 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Surgery questions sarahsleeps 8 179 04-16-2024, 10:01 AM
Last Post: coffee9724
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 14 339 04-13-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: chronic
  Leak Spikes and A Break in Flow blu15 9 1,260 04-06-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: avhenry
Question [Equipment] Airsense 11 Questions tblaster 2 155 04-02-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: tblaster
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 10 414 03-29-2024, 12:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.