Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SleepyHead help
RE: SleepyHead help
I have been looking a little bit at source forge the site where sleepyhead is being developed. The developers are now spending most of their time trying to eliminate bugs now rather than design of the software. They say they would like feedback from users so they can resolve outstanding issues. I think users are doing that now thru the source forge website. They would like some people to build the program from the source code on their own computers. That will help find bugs. I am not a full time software developer but I was looking at seeing if I could help out.

I found that the developers are using some other open source software to help develop sleepyhead. (The following may not be completely accurate. I am just starting to look into how it all works.)

1. Nokia QT - SDK which is the overall development environment. It is designed to produce software that will work with different platforms like Android and various computer operating systems.

2. GIT and Tortoise GIT which are for version control.

3. MingGW a C++ compiler which is a computer language that sleepyhead source code is written in. There is a 64 Bit version that should work with 32 Bit processors ok.

QT just recently came out with a major upgrade 5.0 but it is still beta and still needs to have bug fixes etc. They plan to release updates soon but a lot of testing will need to be done. The 5.0 version did not support the C++ compiler that Mark is using but I think now does as of a week ago or so. I think Mark has been going over sleepyhead to make it work with the new versions of QT. I do not know what version of QT that sleepyhead is now based on but I am sure it will all be recompiled and released to work with the new versions of QT coming out. He will then need to do quite a bit of testing and debugging to make sure it is working with all computers, operating systems, and cpap machines. He will need users to help with this.

Most people may not be familiar with what I wrote above but the point I am trying to make is that there appears to be a lot of different pieces involved with developing sleepyhead and that It looks to me that there is a lot of development work going on right now by different groups. Changes in one program could effect other programs so it make take a little time but it should pay off and I look for sleepyhead to continue to improve as all of the pieces are finalized and improved.
GeneS

(02-18-2013, 05:48 PM)genes Wrote: Most people may not be familiar with what I wrote above but the point I am trying to make is that there appears to be a lot of different pieces involved with developing sleepyhead and that It looks to me that there is a lot of development work going on right now by different groups.

I was worried about the future of SleepyHead back when JediMark was having personal issues... I thought back then that there was a real risk that the software would die on the vine.

I'm hoping you're correct, Gene, as initially, it seemed Mark was the primary developer on SleepyHead (I know he's still the lead developer)... but getting more eyes on the code and having more people involved with fixing and improving the package is always better than the work being done by one or two individuals.

That's the great potential of open-source software development, I guess.

Coffee

SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

(02-18-2013, 06:48 PM)SuperSleeper Wrote: That's the great potential of open-source software development, I guess.

The beautiful thing about open source software is that everyone contributes what they can. Thus, even if you can't write a single coherent line of code, you can still report bugs and provide other encouragement. It's a community effort, and the users are as much a part of the community as the developers. Even a feature request is useful.

In my case I can't write code and I haven't found any bugs, nor are there any features that I want, so every once in a while I send Mark some US dollars. They're not worth much any more, but I send them anyway, just so he knows he is appreciated.

The open source philosophy is very much like Apnea Board. I love them both. I-love-Apnea-Board
(02-18-2013, 05:48 PM)genes Wrote: I have been looking a little bit at source forge the site where sleepyhead is being developed. The developers are now spending most of their time trying to eliminate bugs now rather than design of the software. They say they would like feedback from users so they can resolve outstanding issues. I

ASSUMING for a moment that the S9 Escape does not record AHI, perhaps this should be verified by SleepyHead rather than generating a bogus number (in my case ranging from -0.4 to 0.00

Well dang! Somebody hijacked my thread..... : ) FYI, running in administrator mode did the trick on my Win 7 laptop. Your results may vary.
I hope SleepyHead keeps going, it's nice to have more than one choice in case one fails.
Tim
Finger Lakes Region, NY
I have ResMed elite S9 machine using Resscan software works fine but
like to try Sleepyhead software. I downloaded the latest version. Run and install in administrator mode.
All data were imported. The problem was that I didn't get a graph at all except summary and Pie chart on the right of the screen. I also go to reference option check mark on all graph options. Nothing help.
Any expert out there can help me? What I did wrong?
My comp. use Window 7 64 bits.
I think ResMed machines store the detailed data for only a week or so. You should be able to see your detailed data of the last few nights. If not you have to do some hocus pocus with taking the data card out of the machine, re-booting the machine, and then putting the card back in the machine. Something like that, anyway. Zonk can tell you the details and I'm sure he'll respond soon.

Here's what zonk had to say about this in a different thread:

Quote:* unplug the machine, take the SD card out
plug the machine, "NO SD card detected" appear on the screen

* insert SD card till click in place "Reading SD card" would appear on the screen for a while and disappear

Those Aussies are awesome with their ResMed machines!
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
(02-17-2013, 12:24 AM)Regular Joe Wrote: Finally installed SH on my laptop. When I open SleepyHead, it says there is a shiny new version 0.9.2-1 available. When I upgrade, I get an error. Something went wrong with unzipping. Ok, what am I doing wrong?

I'm having the same problem and Firefox doesn't give me the option to "run in administrator mode." I haven't been able to find the executable file named 09.2. Could someone post the link to 0.9.2 where I can get it directly?
Thanks!
It could be that 0.9.2 is the version you get when you install the patch needed for PRS1 60 Series machines.
Sleepster

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.