Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SleepyHead shows AHI spike about the same time every night
RE: SleepyHead shows AHI spike about the same time every night
yep. there is more to see when you zoom in on sections of the graph. But, even at this size, you can see:

1. you breathe differently at different parts of the night.
2. you can see how your snore was spaced out, or clumped together.
3. you can see that some of the apneas that were counted in your other chart were Clear Airway, others were obstructive, and where they happened.
4. there are hypopneas as well.

These interest points just coax you to look closer at those regions, with "I wonder what made me breathe that way!?", or "looks like I got a nice patch of calm sleep there!"

So, just for grins, zoom up on your chart and post 2 - 5 minute snips of sleep one at 1:00 and another at 2:45 (if you are up to it).

QAL

Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-14-2015, 10:34 PM)quiescence at last Wrote: So, just for grins, zoom up on your chart and post 2 - 5 minute snips of sleep one at 1:00 and another at 2:45 (if you are up to it).

1 AM:
[Image: CbFVDyP.png]

2:45 AM:
[Image: N9BJ8jv.png]

I found this interesting looking stuff at 1:10 AM:
[Image: Ch54sFK.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a question for everyone else. The first flow rate graph. To me it looks like it shows no exhalations, only inhalations. How does this happen?

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Payton, the same question occurred to me. I can speculate it is incomplete exhalation, and further, it appears to coincide with the period of higher AHI. It may be a REM breathing pattern for this person, but I'd like to hear from anyone that actually knows. I looked back at the data summary and the Tidal volume is high overall, so it might be interesting to see if the Tidal Volume also drops when this breathing pattern is observed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2015, 10:37 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: Payton, the same question occurred to me. I can speculate it is incomplete exhalation, and further, it appears to coincide with the period of higher AHI. It may be a REM breathing pattern for this person, but I'd like to hear from anyone that actually knows. I looked back at the data summary and the Tidal volume is high overall, so it might be interesting to see if the Tidal Volume also drops when this breathing pattern is observed.

Here's the Tidal Volume graph for that same period:

[Image: 71ntFSE.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
Well it doesn't tell us much except that for this period your Tidal Volume at 458 is well below the average of 680, shown in Post #8.

I think that the period where less expiratory volume occurs is REM. http://europepmc.org/backend/ptpmcrender...obtype=pdf It is not unexpected that the breathing flow pattern changes with sleep stage, and that that also corresponds to REM, even though we can't prove this assumption with EEG. Interesting stuff. I think (but am not positive), that a PRS1 560 APAP would see that change in respiratory volume and rate, and attempt to ramp pressure to evaluate if it could improve breathing. The ability to respond to changing pressure needs from sleep stage respiratory changes is one of the advantages of that machine, provided the pressure changes themselves don't become disruptive.

That said, you're doing just great for someone early in the therapy, and it will be interesting to see what feedback you get from your doctor.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
My point, concerning the first flow rate graph, is that it looks impossible to me to have reasonable inhalation flow with mostly miniscule exhalation flow for a full 5 minutes. I may be missing something and if so, I am wondering what it is.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
It may just be the rate of inhalation vs the rate of exhalation that is different. One would have to integrate the area under each section of the curves to compare the actual air volume. The time spent inhaling looks less to me by 1/2. Might it be a "sniff and slow exhale" type action? I would also expect the tidal volume to be less for this kind of breathing. Try it.
Am I imagining this?
if you can't decide then you don't have enough data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-15-2015, 06:23 PM)MobileBasset Wrote: It may just be the rate of inhalation vs the rate of exhalation that is different. One would have to integrate the area under each section of the curves to compare the actual air volume. The time spent inhaling looks less to me by 1/2. Might it be a "sniff and slow exhale" type action? I would also expect the tidal volume to be less for this kind of breathing. Try it.
Am I imagining this?

You could be right but I just do not see much area on the exhale side of the graph and I am usually pretty good at estimating comparative areas and volumes.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Just an aside... last night was my best AHI report so far (1.54) and the longest I've slept with the machine since I got it (8 hrs 27 mins). Sleep-on-pillow

Way-to-happy Way-to-happy Way-to-happy
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Air11 now does daylight savings time! cathyf 5 215 03-27-2024, 06:51 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  Airsense 11 Time Zone Change ScottZZZ 60 17,455 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM
Last Post: somewherein413
  What is that spike in Flow limit? urachan 7 508 03-16-2024, 05:17 PM
Last Post: urachan
  TIME FOR SLEEPRIDER'S annual DST WARNING srlevine1 19 624 03-12-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: Homerec130
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 245 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  Taking mask off at the same time everynight sleepyman95 2 175 03-08-2024, 12:25 AM
Last Post: sleepyman95
  Having a terrible time--please help with OSCAR Montacute 25 813 03-06-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: sarahsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.