Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Different things to try?
Different things to try?
Hi All....

Long time lurker, finally got my butt in gear to start posting. I'm a relatively new UARS / OSA diagnosee and have been on some Swift FX pillows for therapy to date.

They are comfortable enough, but I find that with my movements during sleep (I'm more of a side / tummy sleeper...but move all around), the pillows just don't stay still. I've done a bunch of adjusting (different suggestions on this and other related forums) and the fit seems good...but only until I move. I feel like I am constantly being woken up by leaks...especially if the hose puts any downward force on the pillows at all.

With thanks to those who have helped get access to certain software, I think the numbers back it up...max and 95th percentile leaks are high almost nightly, but median are low....and it is rare I truly feel rested in the morning in spite of the low AHI numbers.

Soooo....I'm thinking I need to see my DMI. From my work, I know that more points of contact (i.e. more headgear connections to a mask) will be a bit more stable than what I have on the pillows. So I am thinking a nasal mask or ffm might be a better idea.

Anyone have thoughts on the Quattro Air ffm or Mirage FX nasal mask or any suggestions to make the Swift work a bit better?

Cheers,

Mike

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Different things to try?
Mike, Welcome to the forum. I am a FFM guy myself and like the Quattro Air. I do use a widely popular cloth mask liner with it. As you get into the FFM world it is my opinion that each mask works for a certain percentage of the population. Since the curvature on our faces is different, what works great for me may be of no use to you. If your DME has a location where you can go in and try several masks until you find one you like, that is ideal. If you buy online, make sure you understand the return policy and fees.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi PsychoMike,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What STL Mark said.
Another thing you could try if you want to continue using your pillows is to get some HPA Lanolin, (found in the baby isle of most stores,) and swav a "LITTLE"bit into your nostriles and that might help you to get a better seal. I know it is used for irritation but it can work for that as well.
Best of luck to you.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
are you sure you are using the right size pillows? i have seen many posts about people using pillow sizes that are too small. also, are your pillows needing replacement? did you have fewer leaks when they were new?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2013, 07:57 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi PsychoMike,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What STL Mark said.
Another thing you could try if you want to continue using your pillows is to get some HPA Lanolin, (found in the baby isle of most stores,) and swav a "LITTLE"bit into your nostriles and that might help you to get a better seal. I know it is used for irritation but it can work for that as well.
Best of luck to you.

Hi Trish...thanks for the welcome and the suggestion. It isn't so much the seal, but rather keeping it when I move. I have tried the lonolin thing (as well as a thicker anti-chafe type skin moisturizer/protectant I have for cycling) and with or without, I can hold the test fit pressure (~20 cm water?) just fine, but the moment I move I get a whoosh Sad
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2013, 08:02 PM)oak Wrote: are you sure you are using the right size pillows? i have seen many posts about people using pillow sizes that are too small. also, are your pillows needing replacement? did you have fewer leaks when they were new?

Hi Oak,

The pillows are a large and seem to be about right...lots of good contact around the nares and they don't "fall in" to the nostrils. It is something I can check with my DME about, though.

I am thinking that this has been an on-going issue...I recall bringing it up at my 1 mo. follow-up and was told the numbers were good and the leak rate was okay (probably in terms of L/min). A bit of a head scratcher, to be sure.
Post Reply Post Reply
just my individual situation, but i use the swift fx as well as a nasal mask (Wisp), and I love the Wisp but I get more leaks than with the pillows...everyone is different, though. i know what you mean by being woken up by leaks, though. i still have to fiddle with my pillows a few times per nite.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2013, 08:30 PM)PsychoMike Wrote: The pillows are a large and seem to be about right...lots of good contact around the nares and they don't "fall in" to the nostrils. It is something I can check with my DME about, though.

Hi PsychoMike,

Might be worth trying Medium pillows, though, to see if they are better or worse in this regard. Medium ones might remain in the nostrils more securely.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-17-2013, 08:24 PM)PsychoMike Wrote: It isn't so much the seal, but rather keeping it when I move.

In my own experience using the Swift FX pillows (size M) they will leak half-way through the night when I turn in bed unless I wash both the pillows daily and my nose before bed. The oils that build up on the pillows during the night make keeping a seal very difficult and the moment you turn it will break the seal.

Since washing my nose before bed (with bath soap) I seem to be able to keep the seal all night, in any position. The bath soap might be keeping my skin dry enough.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  In a quandry over a couple of things... SheShells23 59 1,301 04-01-2024, 07:00 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
Sad help! bipap making things worse Sleepyroshi 11 724 03-23-2024, 01:40 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR expert needed - out of things to try.... pezhead99 20 1,552 09-25-2023, 04:51 PM
Last Post: quiescence at last
  Things Going Well on Paper, Symptoms Remain cpapnewbie18 1 448 03-07-2023, 06:17 PM
Last Post: jeffpack1957
  Need some help with a few things please Weegie 13 914 02-06-2023, 05:49 PM
Last Post: Weegie
  [Treatment] Five months in, things still aren't much better manacles 11 1,264 12-01-2022, 12:14 PM
Last Post: manacles
  Things Have Changed in the Last 10 Years... columbo 6 923 01-03-2022, 06:20 AM
Last Post: Ratchick

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.