Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

SH AHI calculation when machine paused
SH AHI calculation when machine paused
Hi Folks. I have been using CPAP for more than five years now, mostly successfully. I have been having a few issues recently however, which has caused me to dive a little deeper into optimising my therapy. Part of this of course involves reviewing my data and, in so doing, I have noticed something I might have misunderstood in the past and so need some help.

My questions are these: if I turn my Resmed S9 off during the night for a bathroom break and, due to being a male of somewhat advanced years, this break lasts five minutes or so, does the machine calculate my AHI on the basis of the whole night, or just the period AFTER the break? Does it 'reset' the timer for the purposes of calculating the AHI value? How long does the machine have to be off before the machine resets the timer in this way?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleepyhead AHI calculation when machine paused
Resmed defines a day as noon to noon.  Your AHI and hours used are determined by all sessions recorded during a day.  I see that you are using SleepyHead.  If you look at the lower left of the Daily screen, you will see each session recorded during a particular day.  You can disable a session (turn off) and your hours and AHI will be adjusted based on the remaining sessions that are active.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
All of the major CPAP machines record session times, and calculate the run time of each session from noon to noon. You can learn the AHI of any individual session using software like Sleepyhead, but the machine's summary AHI statistics are based on events divided by run-time. This of course excludes any breaks.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi StevesSp,
Welcome to Apnea Board!

Turning your machine off for a bathroom break will not make a difference, as the AHI includes all sleep sessions.  

The Cpap calculates a day from noon to noon.  Example:  If you take a nap in the afternoon, then go to bed at 10pm, then get up for a bathroom break....you would have three sessions.  Your AHI will include all sessions.

As Crimson Nate explains, you can see your sleep sessions on SleepyHead.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks folks. Much appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
Belated apologies to those who responded - I forgot I posted this question.

Age-related brain fade - sorry!

Thanks for the answers. Much appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Setting up new machine (or SD card) to include daa from trial machine registered in S Sheila 5 767 12-21-2021, 03:12 PM
Last Post: Sheila
  Can a machine provider remotely program your cpap machine? calcuttaman 20 11,622 04-20-2019, 09:29 AM
Last Post: jaswilliams
  Sleepyhead - adjusting 90% Pressure Calculation chuck23322 6 2,503 11-25-2016, 06:40 PM
Last Post: Perchas

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.