Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleepyhead Data -- Please Help -- Newbie
Exclaimation 
Sleepyhead Data -- Please Help -- Newbie
**SleepyHead Data Attached via PDF/ZIP**

I've never had a CPAP/APAP prior to 5 nights ago.

Here is my data.

I tried the AmaraView the first 4 nights.  And used the AmaraGel last night.

My concerns are this.... Chronic use of CPAP can lead a person to actually develop Central Apnea, is that correct?  I don't want my CPAP to cause more problems than it fixes.

My "Periodic Breathing" last night went from being 1% with the AmaraView to 8% suddenly when the AmaraGel.

Please help. Thanks!

The 7 PDF files are contained in a ZIP file of all my SleepyHead Data.

DOWNLOAD:  [link to zip file removed per dk2011's request]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleepyhead Data -- Please Help -- Newbie
Hello dk2011

I think it would be easier to read your data with simple attachments which all can read without downloading separately. Can you do that?
Sleepyhead in 5 easy steps
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2018, 11:05 AM)Apnea Infant Wrote: Hello dk2011

I think it would be easier to read your data with simple attachments which all can read without downloading separately. Can you do that?

It's 19 pages of data.  How should I go about that?  Make 19 jpeg images?
Post Reply Post Reply
I have downloaded your data and feel the first pages of each night are more useful as an overview. Beyond that, someone may chime in and request an enlargement of a particular time zone to analyse.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
[Image: Screen_Shot_2018_03_27_at_11_17_43_AM.png]

[Image: Screen_Shot_2018_03_27_at_11_17_57_AM.png]

[Image: Screen_Shot_2018_03_27_at_11_18_04_AM.png]

[Image: Screen_Shot_2018_03_27_at_11_18_14_AM.png]

[Image: Screen_Shot_2018_03_27_at_11_18_21_AM.png]

[Image: Screen_Shot_2018_03_27_at_11_18_28_AM.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
This is the NIGHT BEFORE.........

To compare.  

March 26th I used the Amara Gel.  VERSUS March 25th when I used the AMARA VIEW.

[Image: Screen_Shot_2018_03_27_at_11_28_31_AM.png]
[Image: Screen_Shot_2018_03_27_at_11_28_39_AM.png]
[Image: Screen_Shot_2018_03_27_at_11_28_48_AM.png]
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not familiar with the Dreamstation machine and am relatively new myself. However your data shows quite a few cluster of events which usually indicates back sleeping and with your chin probably tucking in to close your airways. I have dealt with that myself by using a soft neck collar which prevents chin tuck and also helps to keep my mouth closed.

Your numbers are wide open from 4-20 cm H2O. Your data shows you do not go above 13 for the nights shown. For most of us 4cm H2O would make us feel starved of air and thus would recommend to raise it to 6.

Try 6-13 for a few nights and see how that goes.

Post Reply Post Reply
Also what I know about the Phillips machines from what I have read here is that they are slower to react to events than the Resmed machines so it may be that even higher starting pressure may be better to knock out those low pressure events that are apparent from your charts.

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-27-2018, 10:05 AM)dk2011 Wrote: My concerns are this.... Chronic use of CPAP can lead a person to actually develop Central Apnea, is that correct?  I don't want my CPAP to cause more problems than it fixes.

I think there are two parts to this. A CPAP is really only effective in reducing obstructive apnea (OA). CA may initially be a small portion of your total number of events. However when the CPAP reduces the OA portion the CA events become a much larger portion of the total. This may make it appear that CA's are increasing, but really they are staying the same.

The second part and this is more controversial is that use of the CPAP may improve blood oxygen levels and because CO2 is what helps initiate breathing, the lower CO2 levels may convince your brain to reduce the breathing effort and yield a CA.

There is also some evidence that your brain after a while gets used to the lower CO2 levels in your blood, and CA events are actually reduced over the longer period of time.

Keep in mind that as long as you are reducing the total number of events, you are better off. What was your AHI at diagnosis, and the breakdown of what portion was CA and what was OA?
Post Reply Post Reply
You may also want to check this thread out:

Does EPR increase CAs?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Newbie - CPAP data review and titration empiricismandstatistics 0 110 04-03-2024, 03:08 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Newbie Here Tulipdi 4 189 04-02-2024, 08:20 PM
Last Post: Tulipdi
  Do my OSCAR charts and figures look okay (newbie)? Jade98 4 172 04-02-2024, 12:59 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 16 501 03-27-2024, 05:41 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  newbie looking to get machine dialed in Jpm6179 3 189 03-25-2024, 07:42 AM
Last Post: Jpm6179
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 285 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 5 264 03-20-2024, 02:08 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.