Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Does a high leak rate effect AHI?
Does a high leak rate effect AHI?
If I have a high leak rate, above 25, and a low AHI can I trust the AHI number? Are they interconnected?

My AHI is usually between .66 and 2.00 and sometimes within those I have leaks that range between 20 and 110 over 95% of the time. But most are in the low 30's. The higher ones are waking me up.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Does a high leak rate effect AHI?
(10-14-2013, 09:48 PM)remltr Wrote: If I have a high leak rate, above 25, and a low AHI can I trust the AHI number? Are they interconnected?

My AHI is usually between .66 and 2.00 and sometimes within those I have leaks that range between 20 and 110 over 95% of the time. But most are in the low 30's. The higher ones are waking me up.

My AHI's are low and my median and 95% leak is usually 0 on both. Sometimes, it is higher on the 95% but I didn't notice any over 7. Now, my maximum is another story and that, at times, has been quite high. I am going to start turning the machine off prior to removing my mask and see if that makes a difference. I am also considering increasing my minimum pressure to 16 rather than 12 AFTER I take my SD card to the DME tomorrow. They are trying to tell me that I have to start my 30 days over on my compliance b/c I did not use my cpap machine Friday night because I had a sleep study done. I almost believe this is a way for the DME to prolong the rent to own time as they claim my insurance will rent it for 10 months and then it is mine, however, they said that IF I missed a full 30 days of compliance at 4 hours that I have to start over even if the noncompliance had to do with the sleep study. The sleep center said that it is an average of 4 hours per night. SO, who is telling the truth? Of course, the last thing I need on my plate right now is to have to call my insurance company for this information and since it is open enrollment, they hire more people to handle the extra calls and a lot of those people are not trained well. Many times, I have been given incorrect information.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2013, 09:48 PM)remltr Wrote: If I have a high leak rate, above 25, and a low AHI can I trust the AHI number? Are they interconnected?

Yes. Any events recorded during a high leak time are not to be trusted. And you don't know if any events did happen that were not recorded. You need to figure out why you have the leaks and fix it.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

A couple of days ago Zonk wrote this:
"Unlike other machines report total leak ... ResMed machines does the calculation by subtract intentional leak and reporting unintentional leak
(mask plus mouth leaks), for this reason you've to select the type of mask you,e using as different masks have different vents leak rate (intentional leak). ResMed consider leak at or below 24 L/min acceptable leak, higher leak rate may affect the accuracy of the reported data so good idea to maintain leak below the red line in ResScan leak graph."

25, while not good, is not an outrageous unintentional leak. If you are getting good sleep and the noise of the leak is not bothering you or others I would not worry about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
I would not discount those great AHI stats, but would work on the leaks. Don't feel bad, after five years I still struggle with leaks.
Post Reply Post Reply
I got my leaks waaay down but wrecked my poor nose. I'm thinkin' anything below 24 is fine with me since ResMed says so. I'm also cutting up an old tee-shirt and making a po-boy liner to see if I can save some portion of what's left of my nose bridge. I think liners may not reduce the leaks so much as they reduce the sound - whatever, I'm more concerned with reducing the bleeding. Too-funny
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Flow rate kink at end of exhalation ahuman 0 20 1 hour ago
Last Post: ahuman
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 31 5 hours ago
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 238 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,410 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  Taking Xyrem: what are these respiratory rate spikes DebJ 3 115 03-24-2024, 01:56 PM
Last Post: DebJ
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 856 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR flow rate assessment -- mouth leaks, palatal prolapse? manders513 9 230 03-22-2024, 06:16 PM
Last Post: BigWing

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.