Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleepyhead - first day of data
RE: Sleepyhead - first day of data
The machine can't tell, so collapsed pillows might make it think you are having breathing problems. And if the leaks are too large it can affect your therapy and the machine's ability to detect what is actually happening.

Are you have trouble falling asleep? If you are not really asleep for the first 30 minutes, then the data during that time is meaningless. It could be that your brain has not fully adjusted to the change in machines and your sleep onset is getting delayed. That leads to "sleep/wake junk" numbers.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've considered the sleep/wake junk. I don't know if there is a way to tell, other than looking at the timestamps and comparing that to when I went to bed. I think this probably is happening around then, though. I turn on the machine, put on the mask and wait. Eventually I fall asleep. The graphs do look like there is a period where I am not asleep, then about a 30 minute period of a lot of activity, then it calms down. But if there are a lot of apneas that occur during that junk time, they still get counted and charged to my AHI numbers. I'm going to try swapping out nasal pillows tonight and going back to what I had on night 1 when my numbers were good.
Post Reply Post Reply
Day 4: I swapped out the 15 mm hose to my old 22 mm hose (and made the setting change on my DreamStation). I also swapped out the medium nasal pillow back to the small. Now I've put everything back to the same configuration I've use for years, with the exception of the machine. And since I do switch back and forth from small to medium, I didn't really change all that much.

My old CPAP AHI numbers were generally in the 1-1.5 range. Last night, for the first time since I got my DreamStation, my numbers dropped. They were 5.2(?) or pretty close.

A few thoughts: I am checking my numbers daily now, and I used to only check them every few months. If there were any variations in the past, I would not have noticed because I only really cared about my 90-day averages and they were around 1.5. I am using a different machine that might count differently or be more sensitive to detecting. The first day was 2.5, next was 7.x, then 9.x, and last night 5.x so I'm hoping things are getting back under control. Because I am paying closer attention to the numbers on the new machine, I might be making myself too aware of my breathing at night and not sleeping well as a result.
Post Reply Post Reply
Day 5: Got a good, long night's sleep, and my AHI numbers came in a 3.4. For time since day 1 that I've been back below 5.

I suspect the "new car smell" of the fresh plastic might have had an irritating effect. I think that's gone now.
Post Reply Post Reply
Off gassing could possibly explain it. Nothing like a good night's sleep!

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-16-2016, 01:09 PM)chill Wrote: Off gassing could possibly explain it. Nothing like a good night's sleep!

Sleep-well

Yeah, will give it another night before I declare it "good". Eventually it should get back down to < 1.5 AHI.

Post Reply Post Reply
Finished week 1 with my new DreamStation. I normally averaged 1.5 or less, so I was interested in how these numbers came about. I'm assuming I was getting used to the new sounds and plastic smells. I'm also wondering if there is some kind of learning algorithm at work that requires time to build up running averages.

Day 1: 2.5
Day 2: 7.x
Day 3: 9.x
Day 4: 5.x
Day 5: 3.4
Day 6: 2.4
Day 7: 1.5

Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2016, 07:29 AM)KSMatthew Wrote: .....I'm also wondering if there is some kind of learning algorithm at work that requires time to build up running averages.....
The Dreamstation has a feature PR calls "OptiStart". Check it out, and see if yours is enabled.
-Ron
We are such stuff
As dreams are made on, and our little life
Is rounded with a sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-18-2016, 08:30 AM)rkl122 Wrote:
(07-18-2016, 07:29 AM)KSMatthew Wrote: .....I'm also wondering if there is some kind of learning algorithm at work that requires time to build up running averages.....
The Dreamstation has a feature PR calls "OptiStart". Check it out, and see if yours is enabled.
-Ron

Good call. I'll check on that. I'm pretty sure I have all the auto functions, ramp functions, and other options turned off, but I might have missed one.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Doctor says perfect data, but extremely tired - OSCAR Data Auzzyrocks 13 2,651 12-04-2022, 11:25 AM
Last Post: Lucid
Question [Pressure] Doctor can't see detailed data - Can my OSCAR data save me from another sleep study? KidCharlamagne 5 896 09-28-2022, 08:20 AM
Last Post: Gideon
  [CPAP] Data showing clear airway apneas: central apnea or soft palate collapse? Data inc. JamesD0079 0 798 03-21-2022, 07:50 PM
Last Post: JamesD0079
  Dreamstation CPAP vs Aircurve BiPap data? Data over time for Insp/Exp? Desiree 12 2,281 05-20-2020, 10:00 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  SpO2 vs CPAP data in Sleepyhead Albercook 8 2,388 09-13-2018, 11:11 AM
Last Post: Albercook
  Transferring to new Hard Drive - Sleepyhead data files Mosquitobait 3 1,624 05-27-2018, 09:00 PM
Last Post: sheepless
  Two months of SleepyHead Data FirstNoele 4 1,562 05-16-2018, 08:35 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.