Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleepyhead for iPad?
RE: Sleepyhead for iPad?
(05-06-2016, 05:06 AM)FrankNichols Wrote:
(05-05-2016, 11:46 PM)sonicboom Wrote: Frank:

I use an iPad and would be a willing beta tester when you are ready.

Thats great! I will have something to play with in a week or two.

I expect my first pass will use data from a WiFi SD card, and then once that is working I will work out how to get data into the iPad via iCloud or directly from your PC/Mac. Any suggestions on what would work for you would be useful. Possibly sending the data to the iPad via email, but not all servers can handle large attachments.

Let me know.

Frank

Dropbox might be a good way.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Is it reasonable to assume that anyone that wants to get data from Sleepyhead into an iPad has their computer connected to a LAN?

I guess if you are traveling it is possible you don't in the hotel.

I am trying to decide if I want to import data from a SD card or from SH. The pro to sleepyhead if Mark has already done all the work converting the various machines into what ever format SH saves it in, internally. So, I probably only have to deal with a single format of data. The downside is having a common/standard/easy way to get that data out of sleepyhead and into the iPad (drop box might work if there is an easy way to get the data there for everyone, except it requires a dropbox account.)

Using a WiFi SD card means the iPad can always just connect to the CPAP machine and read the card, the down side is not everyone has WiFi cards in the machine, and I then have to read all the different machine formats.

I also assume it is not reasonable to assume everyone with an iPad has a Mac instead of a PC.

Is it reasonable to assume everyone's PC or Mac (or Linux) machine has WiFi?

Suggestions?
I am not a Medical professional and I don't play one on the internet.
Started CPAP Therapy April 5, 2016
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know about everyone with personal computers having wifi. It would probably be a safe assumption that the vast majority of everyone with an iPad has wifi.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hmm, I assume it is safe to assume everyone with data in Sleepyhead got that data there from a machine and that it was either read via WiFi from a WiFi card in the machine, or the SD Card was taken from the machine and read in the PC.

So, while it may be "annoying" it would then be possible to require a WiFi Card in the CPAP machine to use my iPad program and have the iPad count on being able to connect to the WiFi card in the machine... It is not a "big" expense, but the problem I see with that is that not everyones machine may work with a new WiFi enabled card - sigh...

Goes back to head scratching.
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
At the moment it is looking like dropbox might be the easiest way to get connectivity between the iPad and OS-X, Windows and Linux... hmm, I am going to play with that idea a little, if anyone has any suggestions for better please let me know.
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
I had never heard of a wifi-enabled SD card till today. I have a mac, iPad, dropbox, and wifi and would gladly test things as long as you DON'T assume I have this new-fangled wifi-enabled SD card. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2016, 05:11 PM)BadGoodDeb Wrote: I had never heard of a wifi-enabled SD card till today. I have a mac, iPad, dropbox, and wifi and would gladly test things as long as you DON'T assume I have this new-fangled wifi-enabled SD card. Smile

Sounds good, I will contact you when I have a method for loading the data that will work for you Smile
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2016, 09:29 AM)robysue Wrote: FrankNichols,

It's great that you have some interest in trying to make SleepyHead compatible with an iPad. I would suggest that you contact JediMark. The most reliable way to contact him seems to be through Facebook. There is SleepyHead facebook group that he has started over there and he seems to post there more than he posts around here. His facebook profile is under his real name, Mark Watkins. So if you do facebook, you might want to look him up and send him a Friend request with a message about your interest in working on this project.

robysue is right, it would be a good idea to get in touch with Mark. I seem to remember reading a post, probably on the SleepyHead Facebook page, that he was going to have to change the platform he uses for SleepyHead. He indicated he thought the new platform would probably make it easier to write mobile apps for SleepyHead. If this is the case, you may want to check with him to see if it would be worthwhile developing an app at this point.

Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-06-2016, 05:33 PM)pupcamper Wrote:
(05-06-2016, 09:29 AM)robysue Wrote: FrankNichols,

It's great that you have some interest in trying to make SleepyHead compatible with an iPad. I would suggest that you contact JediMark. The most reliable way to contact him seems to be through Facebook. There is SleepyHead facebook group that he has started over there and he seems to post there more than he posts around here. His facebook profile is under his real name, Mark Watkins. So if you do facebook, you might want to look him up and send him a Friend request with a message about your interest in working on this project.

robysue is right, it would be a good idea to get in touch with Mark. I seem to remember reading a post, probably on the SleepyHead Facebook page, that he was going to have to change the platform he uses for SleepyHead. He indicated he thought the new platform would probably make it easier to write mobile apps for SleepyHead. If this is the case, you may want to check with him to see if it would be worthwhile developing an app at this point.

I am familiar with what he is talking about concerning the QT changes being made and I am familiar with the QT library. I am not sure I want to have sleepyhead on the iPad, while it is an excellent program, it is a bit feature heavy for what I se the iPad version doing. and to comply with iOS UI standards would require mostly replacing the whole UI design. At that point the data import is all that is left, and don't get me wrong, that is a major piece of work. I am very impressed with all the work that has gone into that after looking over the code.

I will continue puttering around and see what comes out. What I would like is a light weight app that can capture data quickly and display a very configurable limited set of information. I don't see what I am doing as "competition" for SH, but more of alternative for people that want less...
I'd Rather Be Sleeping
Post Reply Post Reply
I use SH with a windows PC and read with a Toshiba WIFI SD card. 

I would like to switch to my iPad so good luck with your project.

I'd be happy to beta test for you.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Software for iPad wallybru 4 1,052 09-18-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Oscar on Apple ipad wallybru 3 1,319 09-18-2023, 12:19 AM
Last Post: wallybru
  P&K software missing OSCAR? Ipad or WIn7 only sunnysky 7 807 05-21-2022, 07:36 PM
Last Post: pholynyk
  Download [will OSCAR work on iPad Pro?] Mikec1962 8 4,899 04-16-2020, 01:07 PM
Last Post: untoutseul05
  SH App on iPad NorthCoastLocal 10 3,351 04-03-2019, 01:33 PM
Last Post: becker44a
  Key response time on my IPad Rcgop 6 2,131 04-28-2018, 11:58 AM
Last Post: BTS1
  Sleepyhead for IPad BiBob 5 4,944 05-19-2014, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Homerec130

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.