Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleepyhead interpretation
RE: Sleepyhead interpretation
(01-24-2014, 09:47 AM)JJordan Wrote: On the report, it has the event number, the time and another number, my question is, Is the last number the amount of seconds I quit breathing for that event?
Yes the duration is in seconds.
apnea/hypopnea has to last 10 seconds or more to be scored, less than 10 seconds show up as flow limitation which are minor obstruction but nevertheless if interfere with sleep quality, need to addressed to a certain degree
I did not open the fie, what your machine set on, Autoset or CPAP mode (user profile - CPAP Pressure: 10.9 auto), leak and pressure numbers (median, 95th percentile, maximum)

Try sleep on your side if you sleep on your back. Chinstrap helps keeps mouth closed which is essential if using nasal pillows or nasal masks

Post Reply Post Reply
It is set on Auto 5 to 15.. the 10.6 is the average for the past month. Last night's leak number was 0.57, pressure was 10.42. I did get to sleep on my sides last night for a change. I don't remember waking up like I have been. I thought I had a good night.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2014, 02:02 PM)JJordan Wrote:
(01-24-2014, 09:47 AM)JJordan Wrote: I have another question, I slept well last night and thought my numbers this morning would be good. my AHI was 6 and the report said that I had 46 obstructive events which concerns me. On the report, it has the event number, the time and another number, my question is, Is the last number the amount of seconds I quit breathing for that event?

I found the answer, and it is the amount of seconds that I quit breathing. It only records any event with less than 20 seconds. I called my Dr. and expressed my concern. He said that the total calculations over a period of time is what they are looking at. Hmmm.

That doesn't sound right. An OA is an obstructive event of 10 or more seconds, including those above 20 seconds - you'll find that your device will also score events beyond 20 seconds.

You might need to speak to your Doctor about possibly increasing your lower pressure. This might stop events occurring at your lower pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi JJordan. Given you had 4 clear airway events, 2 hypopneas and 46 obstructives, that's a total of 52 events in total. If your AHI was six, this implies you slept 52 / 6 = 8.66 hours. Is that about right? The target is an AHI under 5, and generally as low as possible. For an 8 hour sleep that will still give you up to 40 events, so you're not too far off the target. However that's still quite a few events for the night and it's better to get the number down.

The machine senses when you stop breathing and after a few seconds starts a rapid small pressure fluctuation to determine if you have an obstructive or central (clear airway) event. You can see that as the zigzag in the mask pressure line towards the end of the apnea event on your screen dump. It then increases pressure as required, which is why you are unlikely to see an apnea longer than 20 seconds while under therapy.

I see you're using an Autoset, and your pressure is stated as 10.9 auto. Was this the maximum pressure reached? If you can upload the screen dump with the details shown (the pie chart and the table of numbers under that) we can be more specific. However on the face of it (and with the usual disclaimers) I think you could benefit by increasing both you maximum and minimum pressure a bit. This should splint your airway better and make you less prone to obstructive apneas.

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-24-2014, 04:51 PM)JJordan Wrote: It is set on Auto 5 to 15.. the 10.6 is the average for the past month. Last night's leak number was 0.57, pressure was 10.42. I did get to sleep on my sides last night for a change. I don't remember waking up like I have been. I thought I had a good night.
You need to look at 95th percentile (not average) for better indication. what SleepyHead shows as average is more like the median which is lower than 95th percentile

Surly is right (doc is wrong), I had apnea scored way above 20 seconds, 40/50 seconds. the machine range 10–120 seconds (apnea duration) and AHI 0–120 (events per hour). AHI 5 or below is normal while using the machine

Post Reply Post Reply
I may have misunderstood the Doctor about the range and looking at the data for the OE everything is above 10. I am still learning about this and this forum has helped a lot. My settings are 5 to 15 on my S9, with all of these events would changing the settings help?
Attached are last nights readings, This makes 2 out of 31 nights I have slept well.[attachment=680]
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-25-2014, 12:39 PM)JJordan Wrote: I may have misunderstood the Doctor about the range and looking at the data for the OE everything is above 10.

An event, isn't an event unless it last 10 seconds -- so that is why all events will be displayed with at least "(10)". I had one obstructive apnea last night that lasted 27 seconds so it displays in SleepyHead with "(27)".

If 'an event' only lasted 9 seconds, then it isn't an event, it won't be scored, and it won't affect your AHI.

Do you know what your AHI was prior to starting treatment? Your S9 is scoring events that it was unable to prevent (it doesn't tell us how many it did prevent).

Since the 95-percentile pressure is at 10.18% H2O (from your summary screenshot), one would think changing the low end from the prescribed 5 up to 9 or 10 would be an idea worth trying out (as others suggested). That change might give the S9 the freedom to explore more maximum pressures to try to prevent more apneas (your screenshot shows the maximum pressure attained was only 10.88%, though your prescription allows up to 15%).
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data interpretation - Luna G3 Big Ultima Energy 3 77 04-14-2024, 06:27 PM
Last Post: johnathanb76
  Oscar Data Interpretation UPDATED Johand77 1 99 04-10-2024, 08:37 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSCAR data interpretation Johand77 8 179 04-10-2024, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Johand77
  First time looking at graphs interpretation help smallhandsfeeding 1 285 03-11-2024, 08:12 AM
Last Post: jdavis
  APAP Trial - First Night's Results - Interpretation? Juicy 9 4,217 03-04-2024, 09:34 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
Smile How is my OSCAR data looking? Help with interpretation deirdrepen 3 266 02-29-2024, 07:24 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Inconsistent sleep - OSCAR interpretation dadjackets 2 292 02-21-2024, 11:58 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.