Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleepyhead question - PC messages and mask leak
Sleepyhead question - PC messages and mask leak
I am technically challenged but somehow managed to download Sleepyhead. The following is the message that I saw on my PC.

The last time you used your ResMed AutoSet...
was last night (on Monday, October 13, 2014)
You had an AHI of 0.85, which is considered pretty darn good
You machine was on for 8 hours, 13 minutes and 9 seconds.
You had a small but acceptable amount of major mask leakage.
Your pressure was under 13.44cmH2O for 95% of the time.

Is a major mask leak anything I need to be concerned about,
and if so, how do I fix it?

Also, if the pressure I need drops under 13, does the machine automatically provide the lower pressure?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleepyhead question
If Mr Happy face is on then you are good. And that leakage is ok too.

You have an autoset so it should adapt to the pressure you need.

Believe when I say when the leaks become an issue you will know, 1- Your ahi will get up there, and 2- the leak will wake you it is annoying enough.
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2014, 06:15 PM)Galactus Wrote: If Mr Happy face is on then you are good. And that leakage is ok too.

You have an autoset so it should adapt to the pressure you need.

Believe when I say when the leaks become an issue you will know, 1- Your ahi will get up there, and 2- the leak will wake you it is annoying enough.

Thank you for your answers and for your patience with must seem like a foolish question - but I do want to learn so hence the reason for the question.

Post Reply Post Reply
No worries, I started not too long ago and I know the feeling well, I'm still learning many new things every day around here.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2014, 06:15 PM)Galactus Wrote: If Mr Happy face is on then you are good. And that leakage is ok too.

I agree

(10-14-2014, 06:15 PM)Galactus Wrote: You have an autoset so it should adapt to the pressure you need.

As long as the pressure that you need is within the range that has been set for the machine to operate within.

(10-14-2014, 06:15 PM)Galactus Wrote: Believe when I say when the leaks become an issue you will know, 1- Your ahi will get up there, and 2- the leak will wake you it is annoying enough.

Major leaks may impede the machine's ability to sense apneas or interpret them correctly. Ergo, one's AHI will not necessarily go up with major leaks and may, in fact, go down.

Not all major leaks will wake a person up. Depends on the location of the leak and a persons sensitivity to it. Mr. Smiley face is a good indicator and the leak graph or leak statistics in Sleepyhead is an even better one.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2014, 07:16 PM)PaytonA Wrote:
(10-14-2014, 06:15 PM)Galactus Wrote: Believe when I say when the leaks become an issue you will know, 1- Your ahi will get up there, and 2- the leak will wake you it is annoying enough.

Major leaks may impede the machine's ability to sense apneas or interpret them correctly. Ergo, one's AHI will not necessarily go up with major leaks and may, in fact, go down.

Not all major leaks will wake a person up. Depends on the location of the leak and a persons sensitivity to it. Mr. Smiley face is a good indicator and the leak graph or leak statistics in Sleepyhead is an even better one.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Sorry about that I thought when Mr Frowny face came up it indicated higher AHI but apparently it also indicates leaks, but that is what I meant Mr Frowny face. Sorry for that not being the right thing.

But yes you will also see it on the SH data chart as well. Along with Mr Frowny face. Glad someone corrected that for anyone else reading it. Thanks PaytonA.

When I get a major leak it wakes me, but it's right depending on people and the where it may not wake you.

Post Reply Post Reply
"You had a small but acceptable amount of major mask leakage."

Done. You can move on now.

Actually Gramma, you will very often have a short period or two where the leak number gets a little higher than it should. The important part is to keep the 95% and below number lower than 24. But even that number can at times be misleading. Maybe for some reason your mask decided to go goofy nutz for 10 minutes or so. End of the world? Not even, the other 8 hours and 50 minutes you may have been just fine. So in the end, it's an artform, not a science.

In the analytical and probative words of my extraordinarily skilled health care professional doctor person: "Are you sleeping better?"

Post Reply Post Reply
GrammaBear,

Do not sweat the small stuff. Based on your numbers, you are doing great and I hope that you are feeling great too.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-14-2014, 06:13 PM)GrammaBear Wrote: I am technically challenged but somehow managed to download Sleepyhead. The following is the message that I saw on my PC.

The last time you used your ResMed AutoSet...
was last night (on Monday, October 13, 2014)
You had an AHI of 0.85, which is considered pretty darn good

OK, now this might be a very dumb question. Beyond GrammaBear's technical challenged status. But I have to ask it:

My PC never gives me a message about my Sleepyhead results. It never, ever says I've done 'PRETTY DARN GOOD'. I want that message. That exact message. With the DARN thrown in. What does it take to get it?

GrammaBear, tell the truth, were you just guessing what your machine might have said while it was having a conversation with Sleepyhead?

Please forgive me if I'm totally stupid right now. Sleep issues. I'm sure I'm the only one…

Oh-jeez
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi GrammaBear,
Sounds like you are doing great, keep up the good work.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Mouth leak with new machine LaraM 0 34 Today, 06:41 AM
Last Post: LaraM
  Airsense 10 - AHI account for leak rate? FriedRice 9 242 Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  AirSense 10 leak rate baseline issue Phil7 6 1,411 03-25-2024, 05:49 AM
Last Post: FriedRice
  flow rate and leak rate question sleepingbetterinFl 0 90 03-21-2024, 11:28 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Fixed mask leak, but flow limit seems to be increasing AHI emile.leplattenier 3 142 03-19-2024, 11:00 AM
Last Post: staceyburke
  Large leak panic sleepingbetterinFl 3 154 03-19-2024, 07:48 AM
Last Post: sleepingbetterinFl
  Please, need help reading the leak rate and LL info chronic 4 135 03-18-2024, 08:05 AM
Last Post: chronic

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.