Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleepyhead showing obstructions
Sleepyhead showing obstructions
I am getting between 15 and 20 obstructions every night. I think it is my soft pallet closing that's the cause.

My first thought is that the lower pressure on the S9 autoset is too low at 4.

I have a review in a few weeks, probably new year now, at the sleep clinic. But I am just wondering if raising the pressure would assist?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleepyhead showing obstructions
Is that 15-20 AHI or 15-20 total for the night? Any central (clear airway) events?
Post Reply Post Reply
No, its the number of obstructions.

Please see screen dump.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2015, 02:29 AM)DumfriesDik Wrote: My first thought is that the lower pressure on the S9 autoset is too low at 4.
I think so, given the 95th percentile is over 12

Post Reply Post Reply
It can be confusing to talk about events per night, as not all nights are the same length. That's why they developed the indices ie apnea index (AI), hypopnea index (HI), apnea hypopnea index (AHI) and so on. Each relates to the number of those events per hour (coz all hours are the same length). The idea is to get the AHI as low as possible, but below 5 is considered clinically treated. In your case at 2.14 you are clinically treated. There's no reason you can't try to drive this number down (and good reasons why you should), though getting obsessed with the numbers can spoil a good night's sleep.

Having said all that, I'd suggest bumping your minimum up to around the median level 8.5 and see how you go. Don't do it in one go - raise it a cm or so, give a week then raise it some more if it's showing a benefit.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for that guys. I am really happy with my numbers, but its always nice to keep them under review. My appointment ticket has arrived for the 18 December, so I shall see what they say.

I feel so much more in control of my treatment. I am aware I am still learning though.

Thanks for the input, thats what makes this forum so good.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2015, 05:24 AM)zonk Wrote:
(11-26-2015, 02:29 AM)DumfriesDik Wrote: My first thought is that the lower pressure on the S9 autoset is too low at 4.
I think so, given the 95th percentile is over 12

There's no reason to leave the minimum that low. Those giant pressure changes (4-> 12 ) wake a lot of people up.

If it was me, I'd bump the lower limit up to 11.5 and see how I felt. I sleep much better with a narrower range.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2015, 12:14 PM)Terry Wrote: If it was me, I'd bump the lower limit up to 11.5 and see how I felt. I sleep much better with a narrower range.

I definitely would not bump the minimum up that high. I wouldn't go higher than the median pressure which was 8.5. Even then -- the median pressure means that half the time the pressure was above 8.5 and half the time it was below 8.5.

If this was my SleepyHead report I'd increase the minimum pressure to 6 and see if that helps reduce the apneas. If it doesn't, I'd increase the minimum pressure again but only by 1 cm at a time. DumfriesDik already has a pretty good AHI and is just trying to improve that, so going slow and gentle makes the most sense to me.

Assuming DumfriesDik is new to PAP therapy we also want to advise gradual and small adjustments and watch to make sure centrals don't start popping up with the pressure increases.

Post Reply Post Reply
Bump up to medium pressure, which is 8.5, but do if slowly. Keep max pressure as is.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2015, 01:21 PM)kaiasgram Wrote: Assuming DumfriesDik is new to PAP therapy

I have been using an S8 Escape for five years, so not new to therapy, but new to an auto machine. Only had it a couple of weeks.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Too much STATIC showing in OSCAR Flow Rate PappaJoe 9 270 Yesterday, 01:24 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  Irregular flow rate 3 or 4 times a night showing in OSCAR Provolone 4 474 02-21-2024, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Provolone
  CT showing deviated septum TryingToGetItRight 1 320 11-11-2023, 01:51 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Please help me understand why therapy is not showing results Paradox97 22 1,667 10-04-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Paradox97
  [Equipment] OSCAR Question: AHI Score from Wellue ring not showing phoenixsaga 10 1,262 09-12-2023, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Suffering from Arousals. Potential unflagged obstructions? Norman2195 4 711 07-16-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  AirSense10 showing fraction of time Choosie Soosie 0 498 06-16-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Choosie Soosie

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.