Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleepyhead showing obstructions
RE: Sleepyhead showing obstructions
(11-26-2015, 01:21 PM)kaiasgram Wrote: Assuming DumfriesDik is new to PAP therapy we also want to advise gradual and small adjustments and watch to make sure centrals don't start popping up with the pressure increases.
5 years Smile
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...m-Scotland

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2015, 01:22 AM)DumfriesDik Wrote:
(11-26-2015, 01:21 PM)kaiasgram Wrote: Assuming DumfriesDik is new to PAP therapy

I have been using an S8 Escape for five years, so not new to therapy, but new to an auto machine. Only had it a couple of weeks.

Ah, OK.

Actually I would still make gradual changes, giving yourself time to evaluate more than one night at a time. You will definitely want to narrow your pressure range and increase the minimum pressure.
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2015, 01:21 PM)kaiasgram Wrote: I definitely would not bump the minimum up that high. I wouldn't go higher than the median pressure which was 8.5. Even then -- the median pressure means that half the time the pressure was above 8.5 and half the time it was below 8.5.

The only reason that 8.5 was the media was because the machine was running wide open and the minimum was 4.

All of the OP's apneas were at 8.5 and above and a number of them appear to be at more than 12.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-26-2015, 01:21 PM)kaiasgram Wrote: I definitely would not bump the minimum up that high. I wouldn't go higher than the median pressure which was 8.5. Even then -- the median pressure means that half the time the pressure was above 8.5 and half the time it was below 8.5.

The only reason that 8.5 was the median, was because the machine was running wide open and the minimum was 4. Median is only useful when the range is correct.

Nearly (?) all of the OP's apneas were at 8.5 and above and a number of were at more than 12.

I can only guess how disturbing it was to have the pressure spend the night cycling between 4 and 14.

Post Reply Post Reply
No harm in increasing the minimum to 8.5 and run with it for a while to see if it needs to be increased again.

The median is 8.5 because half of the pressure values were higher than that and half were lower. End of story.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
looks like it raises to above 6 immediately and never goes back down to 4 at all. it also looks like the machine is responding too slowly to flow limitations causing oas while the pressure is still rising. This can be helped by raising the bottom end. I would say no lower than 7.5 and probably 8 or 8.5 will end up being the best.
هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum

Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه  هههههه
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2015, 01:04 PM)PaytonA Wrote: The median is 8.5 because half of the pressure values were higher than that and half were lower. End of story.

Right. Of the three common measures of central tendency, only the mean (the mathematical average) is sensitive to the high and low ends of the range. The median and the mode are not sensitive to the high and low ends. Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-27-2015, 01:22 AM)DumfriesDik Wrote:
(11-26-2015, 01:21 PM)kaiasgram Wrote: Assuming DumfriesDik is new to PAP therapy

I have been using an S8 Escape for five years, so not new to therapy, but new to an auto machine. Only had it a couple of weeks.
What was the pressure setting on the Escape?
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm on an auto adapt machine also. My min is set at 4 cmH2O and my max is set to 12.1 cmH2O. I have an AHI of 52 on bipap and with my machine only .4. The low pressure on it of 4 shouldn't affect you. The machine I have, a Phillips respironics system one, is automatic. It automatically takes four minutes of your normal breathing pattern and saves it. It will use those when you have apneas and adjust itself to make you have normal breathing patterns. It compensates so that you are breathing at least at 90% as effective as your normal breathing pattern. Most people with central apnea do worse at higher cpap settings. The higher the pressure, the more apneas (from what I have read and personal experience on cpap and bipap studies). I wouldn't mess with any of the settings. The machine is adaptive and adapts to your needs. I would wait for another study so they can see if the settings aren't right. With them knowing your lowest and highest pressures already, setting your machine to them, I doubt there will need to be any further adjustments because the machine automatically adjusts itself based on your normal breathing patterns.
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day inmyelement, welcome to Apnea Board.

Your machine is an ASV which operates on a very different algorithm than Dumfriesdik's S9 Autoset. His machine will raise pressure in response to obstructive apneas, hypopneas or flow limitations. It will record central apneas but can not respond to them.

If an Autoset starts at too low a pressure it often can't increase pressure fast enough to suppress all the events, which is why a minimum setting of 4 is often not a good idea.

In the case of your own machine, unless it's set up as a non-ASV then you should have a full set of pressure parameters, not just minimum and maximum. Typically you'd be prescribed min EPAP, Max EPAP, min PS, max PS, and possibly max IPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Irregular flow rate 3 or 4 times a night showing in OSCAR Provolone 4 409 02-21-2024, 09:50 AM
Last Post: Provolone
  CT showing deviated septum TryingToGetItRight 1 305 11-11-2023, 01:51 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] Please help me understand why therapy is not showing results Paradox97 22 1,609 10-04-2023, 04:26 PM
Last Post: Paradox97
  [Equipment] OSCAR Question: AHI Score from Wellue ring not showing phoenixsaga 10 1,167 09-12-2023, 11:21 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Suffering from Arousals. Potential unflagged obstructions? Norman2195 4 676 07-16-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  AirSense10 showing fraction of time Choosie Soosie 0 476 06-16-2023, 02:31 PM
Last Post: Choosie Soosie
Wink [CPAP] SD CARD NOT SHOWING RECENT 12 DAYS * SOLVED * Samultra 1 502 05-12-2023, 10:18 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.