Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Sleepyhead vs. ResScan Pre-Installation Questions
Sleepyhead vs. ResScan Pre-Installation Questions
I have a nice, Shiny New ResMed Air Sense 10 Autoset Machine, from the Veteran's Administration, a couple of days ago. I am also Registered for ResMed's "My Air" Program.

While this is helpful, it doesn't give enough detail... which is why I got the Sleepyhead & ResScan Downloads. I just Saved them, & haven't done anything with either one yet... & don't intend to, until I have a few Questions Answered... hopefully, here.

I had a quick look at some of the Installation Instructions & Manuals for Res Scan, & it seems to be "somewhat like" the old copy of Encore Pro, that I had with an early Respironics RemStar Machine.

The Air Sense 10 is a newly Issued Machine , at my VA Hospital, & they haven't given me any detailed Instructions, other than the enclosed instructions with the Machine. I have been using CPAP for about 7 years, so I am at least familiar with the Basics of their operation

I am here for further help...

I would assume that the Jesse Brown VA Hospital [Chicago], would be using the ResScan Program, as they gave me the Machine. This uses a standard SD Card, but I don't know if the VA Modified it [haven't looked at it yet]...

Does the Machine put any kind of "Notice" on the Card, if I remove it, to read on my Computer? I have a standard USB/SD Card Reader, to plug into my Computer.

If the VA is also using this Software, will they be able to tell, if I have also read the Card, with the Software? The ResScan Software looks pretty complicated... I hope I will be able to figure it out...

However, does the Res Scan Software ERASE, or ALTER the Data on the Card, after Downloading my Patient Information into the Program? Maybe it would be best to make a COPY of the Card, & work from that, rather than use the Original Card...IF the simple act of copying it, doesn't register on the Card itself.

I would rather NOT have the VA know that I have a copy of this Program, or know that I can see into the Clinician's setup Menu on the Machine...

The same Questions would arise, if I decide to use the Sleepyhead Software, vs. ResScan. I haven't looked at the SleepyHead Software yet, or know [yet] if there are any "Extra" Manuals for that one, like there are, for ResScan.

Is there any advantage to using one of these Programs over the other? If I uninstall the one that I decide NOT to use, will it leave any "Junk Files" that might interfere with the other Program [or anything else on my Computer?

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium, on a 6 year old Computer...

Any Feedback on these Issues would be much appreciated, before I Proceed with either of these Programs...

Thanks...
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Sleepyhead vs. ResScan Pre-Installation Questions
(11-12-2017, 02:44 AM)Ron The Piper Wrote: I have a nice, Shiny New ResMed Air Sense 10 Autoset Machine, from the Veteran's Administration, a couple of days ago. I am also Registered for ResMed's "My Air" Program.

I am here for further help...

I would assume that the Jesse Brown VA Hospital [Chicago], would be using the ResScan Program, as they gave me the Machine. This uses a standard SD Card, but I don't know if the VA Modified it [haven't looked at it yet]...

Does the Machine put any kind of "Notice" on the Card, if I remove it, to read on my Computer? I have a standard USB/SD Card Reader, to plug into my Computer.

If the VA is also using this Software, will they be able to tell, if I have also read the Card, with the Software? The ResScan Software looks pretty complicated... I hope I will be able to figure it out...

However, does the Res Scan Software ERASE, or ALTER the Data on the Card, after Downloading my Patient Information into the Program? Maybe it would be best to make a COPY of the Card, & work from that, rather than use the Original Card...IF the simple act of copying it, doesn't register on the Card itself.

I would rather NOT have the VA know that I have a copy of this Program, or know that I can see into the Clinician's setup Menu on the Machine...

The same Questions would arise, if I decide to use the Sleepyhead Software, vs. ResScan. I haven't looked at the SleepyHead Software yet, or know [yet] if there are any "Extra" Manuals for that one, like there are, for ResScan.

Is there any advantage to using one of these Programs over the other? If I uninstall the one that I decide NOT to use, will it leave any "Junk Files" that might interfere with the other Program [or anything else on my Computer?

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium, on a 6 year old Computer...

Any Feedback on these Issues would be much appreciated, before I Proceed with either of these Programs...

Thanks...

Congratulations on your new machine and future sleep therapy progress.

The standard SD card that is issued with the machine has a ResMed logo. The VA does not modify the card -- other than to paint it drab olive (just kidding). 

If you look carefully at your SD card, you will see that it has a locking tab. Engage the locking tab and nothing can be written to the card; thus satisfying your stealth use requirements. Be sure to unlock the card before you reinsert it into your device.

If you use the clinician's menu and alter any settings, this will be reflected on the SD card.

It is unlikely that your VA uses Sleepyhead as it is not FDA approved for clinical use. The VA also can access your machine remotely through their AirView (cloud-based patient management system) functionality to check compliance and even change settings if necessary.

For monitoring your therapy, Sleepyhead is easier to use than ResScan. I use both. There is no formal manual for Sleepyhead, but there are wonderful resources on this forum that will tell you how to format your display, how to interpret the results, and how to post screenshots for community assistance.

Hope this helps.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
I suspected that the Sleepyhead Software might be easier to use. From looking at the Manuals for the ResScan... it looks looks similar to the old Version of Respironics "Encore Pro", that I had with my early Remstar Pro Machine... all kinds of "Patient Management Setups, that I don't need.

If I want to change settings, it is easier to do this thru the Clinician's Menu on the Machine, with the appropriate Manual. What I am REALLY looking for, is a Program that will retrieve the appropriate Data off the SD Card [without altering, or erasing it], & give me detailed, progressive Reports, that I can either print out, or save to my Computer... in easily understandable, but "correct" Terminology.

Does the Sleepyhead Software give it's results in a Format that would allow me to ask Technical Questions of a Sleep Therapist/Doctor...and be sure we are on the same Page, or would I be better off using ResScan for that?

Could the VA give me any static for using ResScan... because they would then know that I would have access to the Clinician Settings? Does Sleepyhead give access to these Settings, or is it only a "Viewing" Software?

Could the VA give me any KRAP, if I actually CHANGED any Settings? I did turn on the "automatic" setting for starting/stopping my machine, upon donning/removal of the mask. This was turned off, under Clinician's Settings. I also corrected the Time Settings of the Clock. I haven't touched the Pressure Settings, & don't intend to, for now. I will wait until after I have my appointment with the Sleep Doctor, before I decide that Issue.

I want to establish a relationship with a specific Sleep Doctor at the VA, instead of just being assigned whoever is available. I won't know if that is possible, until after that first appointment.

is there an "Instructions Archive" for the Sleepyhead Software, that won't scroll away, like many of the threads do... or do you have to find each Tip, Individually. If someone has posted a basic set of Instructions that I could Download... this would help.

I haven't yet looked for any related Material on either of these Programs. I just Downloaded them yesterday. I will look at the two Instruction Manuals for the ResScan Program, before I ask too many questions about that one. When I do, is that a separate Thread from the one about Sleepyhead? I would like to keep separate Archives on my Computer for these Programs ... whichever one I decide to use.

By the way, why do you use BOTH of the Programs, if the Sleepyhead is easier to use? what would be the circumstances for using one, over the other?

Is there a direct USB adapter available for the ResMed Air Sense Autoset Machine?

Thanks...
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-13-2017, 04:30 PM)Ron The Piper Wrote: By the way, why do you use BOTH of the Programs, if the Sleepyhead is easier to use? what would be the circumstances for using one, over the other?

Is there a direct USB adapter available for the ResMed Air Sense Autoset Machine?
I use Sleepyhead to monitor my therapy and use ResScan to print relevant reports to send to my doctor with my questions. My doctor is the head of the sleep lab at a world-class hospital that exclusively uses ResMed machines in the lab. Both the ResMed machines and the ResScan software are FDA-approved, I maintain the compatibility with what they normally use and are used to working with.

Here is information on the USB module which plugs into the machine's port located below the SD card unit ... https://www.resmed.com/us/en/commercial-...odule.html. Since I use the ResMed oximetry adapter, I cannot use the USB functionality. If you look at some other solutions on the forum, you will see that some forum members have implemented the use of a wireless SD card solution that transmits data to their computer. This is not a ResMed-approved solution and I am unsure if your physician would accept a wireless card to analyze.

As for changing settings, you can do it legally with the permission of your physician if you want to remain 100% compliant. Remember to document your change requests or your plan to experiment. And, send follow-ups to the physician. 

You may wish to review a legal site that has videos and information for vets, the VA, and sleep apnea Google "cpap perkinslawtalk" without the quotes.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Fellow Vet relax. The VA isn't going to slam you for looking at your own data. It's your right under the law. As far as changing settings they won't say anything as long as your API is under 5 and your using your machine every night. Like was stated before if you lock your SD Card nothing will be written to it while your downloading data.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
I am not planning on doing anything "rash"... just trying to get my "Ducks In a Row", before I start "Shooting"...

The VA [most of the time], has treated me pretty good... so far, it has been difficult to get past the workers in the Home care Department who basically know how to turn on the Machine on, & put on the Mask. there is a fairly long waiting list, to get to see the ACTUAL SLEEP DOCTOR & discuss my results... it will be another month for that.

I have been using CPAP for about 7 years, so I know at least "some" of the Basics... But when I asked the Worker about the characteristics of some of the Masks, she acted "annoyed"... like she either didn't know the Answers, didn't GIVE A DAMN [possibly BOTH]... it's like they don't know how to deal with a Patient, who knows a few of the "Right" Questions... I do my Homework!

The Home Care Clinic at Jesse Brown VA Hospital [Chicago], is in kind of a "flux", because they apparently just switched from the Respironics Machines, to ResMed. I was used to the various Respironics Remstar & System One Machines, but the Air Sense is also a good one.

BUT... they don't seem to have the Supplies! So... I am going to make up a document with pictures of the Masks I have, with their Specifications, so I can show these Folks specifically what I need... & see if it matches with what they have [or will possibly get]. I don't know what they are going to order... & don't think they do either...

But if I have a Document, I can go right up the Chain of Command, until I either get what I need... or a valid Substitute. I have some perfectly good Masks... IF I can get spare parts!

I am planning on contacting some of the Mask Companies, & see if I can get them to donate some Parts... after I make an inventory of what I have... Maybe I can keep my Masks working, until the VA gets it together...
Post Reply Post Reply
srlevine1 said:
The VA also can access your machine remotely through their AirView (cloud-based patient management system) functionality to check compliance and even change settings if necessary.

Can you turn off the access to my machine from AirView?
Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2017, 10:27 AM)calcuttaman Wrote: srlevine1 said:
The VA also can access your machine remotely through their AirView (cloud-based patient management system) functionality to check compliance and even change settings if necessary.

Can you turn off the access to my machine from AirView?

You would need to permanently disable your modem (instructions on the internet) which is not recommended.
Or, keep your machine in "Airplane Mode" which is annoying because of repetitive reminders.

BTW, the information is aggregated and forms the basis of ResMed's Medical Research.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another way that might work is to shield the machine so it blocks the signal with aluminum foil. Don't know if it works.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
(11-22-2017, 03:55 PM)Walla Walla Wrote: Another way that might work is to shield the machine so it blocks the signal with aluminum foil. Don't know if it works.

Yes, it would work in theory. In essence, you create a Farraday cage to shield against electromagnetic energy. However, you would also need to block the air intake, so may not be practical using aluminum foil. However, finely-woven copper mesh might just do the trick and preserve airflow. 

Or thinking inside of the box, use an actual metal box with fine copper mesh ports for air intake and cooling.

The bottom line is why would you find it necessary to shield your data? I could understand spoofing compliance. I can understand privacy. But, it seems to me that the net result is beneficial to most individuals if "the eye in the sky" spots anomalies, machine issues, or performs useful research that improves the next generation of devices.

Of course, then there are cell-phone jammers available at your local spy store.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ResScan 7 help! [password issues] DakotaNorth 2 236 03-26-2024, 12:42 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper
  Cannot import data from ResMed Astral 150 to ResScan or OSCAR BreatheEZ 8 2,506 03-16-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: PappaJoe
  Does ResScan delete detailed logs/records from the SD card after downloading them? Determinism 5 238 03-15-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: srlevine1
  ResScan 7.1 nawolfor 2 473 02-26-2024, 10:29 PM
  NOTICE: ResScan 7.1 Software now available [for ResMed machines only] SuperSleeper 0 619 02-26-2024, 10:27 PM
Sad Help with Oscar Installation FrankIII 5 351 02-25-2024, 11:05 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
Thumbsup ResScan 7.0 now available! [old version] SuperSleeper 54 17,989 12-30-2023, 07:44 PM
Last Post: jocemar

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.